Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
whats with all the boiling??? what could be in the cotton that requires it to be boiled for 15 minutes and who came up with that time limit? Why wouldnt 12 minutes work, maybe 15 is too short and it should be boiled for 45 minutes. It seems to me that by boiling cotton you reduce the water in the pot and increase the chemicals that are in the water percentage wise per volume of water, plus what ever you are trying to get out of the cotton is still on the cotton since its sitting in that water. And if you rinse it, arent you just running the same type of water thru it as what you boiled in in minus "whatever was in the cotton"? As far as hydrogen peroxide, it is safe, you use it on cuts etc. Besides it turns into oxygen and water when it breaks down... yes it breaks down into O2 and H2O. Thats why hydrogen peroxide is stored in brown bottles, so it wont break down while being stored.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I boil it to remove dust, etc. that could be introduced during manufacturing; I boil it in distilled water for a few minutes, dump the pot into a large strainer, rinse it with more distilled water, repeat the process once, and I'm done. Why do you care? :)

actually i dont I just wonder why its done?

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    I want to build with cotton. I've looked at cvs, walgreens, and the grocery store and all I can find are organic cotton balls that were still bleached with peroxide. Is that safe? Or should I get something else?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I get my cotton from CVS premium cotton squares cost $3.79 bag.
    I don't boil them no need to. It's has a backing on it that I remove and throw away. One bag will last a life time.
    5042886961.jpg

CVS Premium Cotton Squares, 100% Cotton - CVS pharmacy

"Extra strong! Extra durable! 100% cotton. Strong & soft. Quilted texture. Lint free & absorbent. Luxuriously Soft: Made from 100% pure natural cotton. Beauty: Lint free and ideal for makeup application or removal; Great for use with cleansers, astringents, and lotions. Dual Textured: Fleece surface is great for nail care; Strong. quilted texture is ideal for skin care and controls shine. CVS quality. Made in the USA."

Legolas

ECF Veteran
    Jan 7, 2014
    In the slower lower ... Delaware
    I want to build with cotton. I've looked at cvs, walgreens, and the grocery store and all I can find are organic cotton balls that were still bleached with peroxide. Is that safe? Or should I get something else?

I posted this a week or so ago and got some great answers.
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ask-veterans/518166-i-have-question-cotton-use.html
    It was closed before I had a chance to thanks those who responded. So thanks for the responses

Legolas

ECF Veteran
    Jan 7, 2014
    I bought a 200 count bag of organic cotton balls from target 2 weeks ago. So far i have used 1 whole ball. Got 4 wicks from it. At this rate the bag will last for the rest of my life.

I've gone through 1.5 in over a month. I guess I'll have to cut back and not rewick everyday. ;)

Legolas

ECF Veteran
    Jan 7, 2014
    I use a lot of my 3ml sample juices in my rda so i change wicks when i change flavors. Maybe every 2 or 3 days.

I meant 1.5 cotton balls lol. I change out my kayfun wick and flavor everyday. I just don't want my favorite juices to become a dull vape. I have lots of different flavors to try in this device. Tons that are well steeped and were not so good the first time I tried them.

Topacka

ECF Veteran
    Jan 8, 2014
    Seattle
    whats with all the boiling??? what could be in the cotton that requires it to be boiled for 15 minutes and who came up with that time limit? Why wouldnt 12 minutes work, maybe 15 is too short and it should be boiled for 45 minutes. It seems to me that by boiling cotton you reduce the water in the pot and increase the chemicals that are in the water percentage wise per volume of water, plus what ever you are trying to get out of the cotton is still on the cotton since its sitting in that water. And if you rinse it, arent you just running the same type of water thru it as what you boiled in in minus "whatever was in the cotton"? As far as hydrogen peroxide, it is safe, you use it on cuts etc. Besides it turns into oxygen and water when it breaks down... yes it breaks down into O2 and H2O. Thats why hydrogen peroxide is stored in brown bottles, so it wont break down while being stored.
    This is why I don't boil my cotton.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX

If bleached cotton posed any health risk for people, the medical industry would not use it on OPEN WOUNDS.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX

AFAIK, the only cotton that needs to be boiled is the cotton yarn to remove sizing.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 9, 2013
    So Cal
    I laughed when I read the post on boiling! I bought sterilized cotton and just used it straight. Then after a few days I decided that, just for fun, I would boil a bunch up. I'd read of people doing it for 30 mins then rinsing and boiling again - too much work. I boiled it for about 20 mins and left the soggy mess to dry for about 24 hours. I don't think it tastes any different at all....but I did it just because:p And I do not think it's necessary at all!

Now, I did boil the Peaches and Cream yarn, because it was just sitting unwrapped on a shelf at Walmart, and who knows who had sneezed on it! Also it dried in a matter of minutes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread