Cotton wicks do not expand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Many people say cotton wicks expand when juiced.

Has anyone actually measured or experienced an expanded cotton wick?

I've never noticed an expanded cotton wick.

I went as far as conducting a little experiment. I laid cotton yarn and cotton ball wicks on a ruler. Some were doused w/ VG, others doused with PG. I saw no visible expansion.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Many people say cotton wicks expand when juiced.

Has anyone actually measured or experienced an expanded cotton wick?

I've never noticed an expanded cotton wick.

I went as far as conducting a little experiment. I laid cotton yarn and cotton ball wicks on a ruler. Some were doused w/ VG, others doused with PG. I saw no visible expansion.

Expanding or swelling of cotton or hemp is commonly given as a reason for choking the wick and dry hits. Big myth, IMO. If it doesn't wick, you wrapped it to tight to start,:) has nothing to do with expansion or swelling. In lab test using the kerosine lamp method, could never replicate that swelling reduced wicking (capillary action).:)

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
You'll get expansion IF you first compress the cotton while it's dry (noob mistake). Roll the dry cotton between you fingers until it's as thin as possible, then wet it...presto - expansion.

That could be it.

Individual fibers may expand a hare:laugh:
Fluffy wicks may collapse a lot for a net wick shrinkage.
Tightly rolled wicks may expand.

Time for another experiment.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
This changes what works. I always made them fluffy and not twisted, but if they shrink or get compressed with time that might lead to more dry hits where coil doesn't touch the wick anymore. So which way to go?

Easy to correct a collapsed wick on a horizontal coil.
I poke a needle threader through coil along side of collapsed wick.
I pull a new wick through coil w/ needle threader; now coil has collapsed wick and new wick.
Works great.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I find I get the best results with a densely (tightly) rolled wick when using CVS sterile rolled cotton (the only kind I use) on micro coils ( the only kind I use ).

The tricks are to make sure the wick pulls thru the micro coil with very little resistance and trim the tails short.

After some primer puffs, it's game freakin on.

Here's my typical wick:
0kvnEOh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread