Status
Not open for further replies.

tlmoody27

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Middle of No Where, GA
I usually vape 70pg/30vg with no problem. I bought a 100% VG flavor the other day because that's all that was offered in that much talked about flavor. I loved the flavor btw. The first time I vaped it I had some chest tightness and had to use my asthma inhaler, but I thought that it was everyday allergies acting up and didn't think anything else about it. I didn't vape it for a few days cause I had trouble with my tank and carto but that's beside the point. When I vaped it again, the same thing happened almost immediately. I could literally fell my chest tighten up. No other symptoms, just cough and chest tightness and wheezing. Using the inhaler makes it go away. I tried another 100% VG flavor I bought later that day and had the same result. I went back to my 70pg/30vg mix and all was well. Today I tried again, just cause I wanted to see if it was a fluke the first three times..immediately had to reach for the inhaler. Needless to say, I'm no longer going to vape those flavors, which is a shame cause I have a 30ml bottle Boba's now that I can't use, and I really like it too. I'd much rather breathe though.

Anyway, has anyone ever heard of this happening with a 100% VG? I thought a PG allergy would be more likely but I seem fine with pg.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I want to know what the flavor is too. I agree with AZ and beans, sounds like a cinnamon thing. But that was 10 days ago. Why no response?

I wish people would not post dire symptoms from vaping and then vanish when people genuinely want to find out what happened, and what the details are. Health issues of this magnitude need to be investigated. Hope the OP didn't end up in the ER.

And no, I have never heard of this happening with VG juices. A touch of phlegm after a while of heavy vaping, but nothing this extreme. I certainly have heard of this happening with cinnamon.

tlmoody27

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Middle of No Where, GA
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disappear. .I usually check my updated threads but didn't see this til just now. I appreciate everyones response. I was using bobas bounty when I had this issue. I stopped using it and haven't had an issue with my asthma with my other juices but every time I used bobas I had to break out the inhaler. I guess it could be one of the ingredients. anyone know what's in it?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I tried diluting and that didn't help.

Sent from my HTC EVO on Taptalk.

So glad you are ok! :) There are other flavorings that can have similar effects. For whatever reason Capella Milk Chocolate Toffee makes me cough a lot and gives me a very tickly throat, so it is not just cinnamon, although that one has the most negative reports here, by far, and the most severe. There are literally thousands of flavor chemicals, of all sorts of chemical properties, and while MOST flavors are benign to inhalation, some are very much not fine for some people. Trouble is there are no set patterns on this. Some vape cinnamon all day every day, some have serious problems. I would guess that most have no problem with the Capellas MCT, and I am just someone that for whatever reason this flavor, or one component of this flavor, bothers me.

In fact, the uncertainty, both short and long term, with flavors has me more comfortable most of the time vaping unflavored e-juice, and only minimal flavors in my DIYs when I do want flavor.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I tried diluting and that didn't help.

Sent from my HTC EVO on Taptalk.

You could also try adding PG to it. I have found since PG does not dilute flavor like VG does, so is ok to add to a juice and not loose the flavor, but it will lower nic strength. I try not to vape high VG juices because I get that same heavy feeling in my chest and it is not pleasant. bnrk

tlmoody27

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Middle of No Where, GA
You could also try adding PG to it. I have found since PG does not dilute flavor like VG does, so is ok to add to a juice and not loose the flavor, but it will lower nic strength. I try not to vape high VG juices because I get that same %heavy feeling in my chest and it is not pleasant. bnrk

I use 70/30 pg/vg mix and it works for me. I'll just avoid boba's and maybe at some point try 100%vg again and see how it goes.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disappear. .I usually check my updated threads but didn't see this til just now. I appreciate everyones response. I was using bobas bounty when I had this issue. I stopped using it and haven't had an issue with my asthma with my other juices but every time I used bobas I had to break out the inhaler. I guess it could be one of the ingredients. anyone know what's in it?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

You might find this interesting http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...01951-goodbye-bb-we-cant-friends-anymore.html

Robertogee

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
TLmoody--

Thanks, Salemgold. Your link on that other thread (you just posted) brought me here, so I'm glad you posted it.

I've had the same problem with Boba's, TL. See the other thread. I love the juice. Same reaction as you, and one or two other mentions I've seen on ECF.

The amazing thing is that Porphy responded on the other thread with an offer to have me test some Boba's, as a result. I'm actually doing that now. Hope it may help him--but what an amazing offer! I think most venders would have just chalked it up to a few idiosyncratic reactions and let it go at that.

One thing I discovered before starting to vape the test shipment from Porphy: I tried what was left of my original order of Boba's, after some six weeks. The involuntary cough response, and the tightness or congestion or "shortness of breath" was really no longer present for me.

The Boba's he just sent, in two different bottles, different plastics? Same great Boba's taste but same old symptoms, immediately, with both. Makes me think it's something in new Boba's, as opposed to six week old Boba's, I may be reacting to. (No, I've never steeped Boba's by airing it without the cap for 24 hours, etc.)

I think it may be in the flavor, because I have another juice from Alien Visions that I like very much: Flue Cured. It too is 100% VG, I understand. I haven't had those reactions to it at all.

Right now, Porphy wants me to test the same juice in the two different plastic bottles. Yes, I can detect some very slight differences, which may be due to the plastics, but I'll let him go into that when we're done testing.

Don't know if I'm helping him much, but I'm learning a LOT.

It's also good to know I'm not alone, not completely nuts about one of the all-time great classic vapes. Even better to know Porphy is committed enough to want to trouble to solve this issue, though it may only affect a very few people, if he can.

Amazing!

tlmoody27

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Middle of No Where, GA
TLmoody--

Thanks, Salemgold. Your link on that other thread (you just posted) brought me here, so I'm glad you posted it.

I've had the same problem with Boba's, TL. See the other thread. I love the juice. Same reaction as you, and one or two other mentions I've seen on ECF.

The amazing thing is that Porphy responded on the other thread with an offer to have me test some Boba's, as a result. I'm actually doing that now. Hope it may help him--but what an amazing offer! I think most venders would have just chalked it up to a few idiosyncratic reactions and let it go at that.

One thing I discovered before starting to vape the test shipment from Porphy: I tried what was left of my original order of Boba's, after some six weeks. The involuntary cough response, and the tightness or congestion or "shortness of breath" was really no longer present for me.

The Boba's he just sent, in two different bottles, different plastics? Same great Boba's taste but same old symptoms, immediately, with both. Makes me think it's something in new Boba's, as opposed to six week old Boba's, I may be reacting to. (No, I've never steeped Boba's by airing it without the cap for 24 hours, etc.)

I think it may be in the flavor, because I have another juice from Alien Visions that I like very much: Flue Cured. It too is 100% VG, I understand. I haven't had those reactions to it at all.

Right now, Porphy wants me to test the same juice in the two different plastic bottles. Yes, I can detect some very slight differences, which may be due to the plastics, but I'll let him go into that when we're done testing.

Don't know if I'm helping him much, but I'm learning a LOT.

It's also good to know I'm not alone, not completely nuts about one of the all-time great classic vapes. Even better to know Porphy is committed enough to want to trouble to solve this issue, though it may only affect a very few people, if he can.

Amazing!

That's so good that he is helping you out and trying to figure out what is going on. I too loved Boba's instantly and was so sad that I couldn't seem to vape it. Please post an update here when you're finished with your testing and let me know how it goes and what you figure out. It would be awesome if I could vape it. I don't know at this point if it is an ingredient in the juice or vg but from what I've read around here it may be an ingredient. I haven't had an issue with other juice and ingredients so I just don't know. Sounds like AVE has some great customer svc. I didn't buy it directly from AVE, I got it through a vendor. Thanks so much for your post!!

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I have no idea what is in it. The vendor most likely will not tell you exactly what is in it but you could probably ask to see if it contains cinnamon.

I didn't know about cinnamon causing a phlegm problem... just sore tongue... and I also didn't know that the banana nut bread I was vaping had cinnamon in it. That is, until I thinned it down with various bases until the only flavor left was ... yup... cinnamon. As far as the vendors, they don't even know what's in the flavorings. They buy them from flavoring vendors just like some of us here do. The only place one could find out would be first finding out from the vendor which company they buy from (LorAnn, Capella, etc) and then contacting them and they might not even know if they buy from a mass producer. Its definitely a problem. I've even thinned down some juices until the only flavor left was black pepper and would never have dreamed that. Now, when I buy a flavoring, I first thin it with water at different percentages of water trying to taste everything that's in it before I try vaping it. Its no loss as I can always use the flavoring in drinks or cooking if I can't vape it. What affects my bronchials won't, necessarily, affect my stomach.

Kgrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Monroe, WA
I had to quit vaping for a year because of issues, I'm sensitive to Pg and fine with vg. Do you have food allergies? What gets to me is the carriers used for the flavoring, most being ethyl alcohol and unfortunately most flavoring has it. I've gone to a alcohol free, organic VG only juice and I'm fine, but even with that I still have to watch what flavors I get because of my food allergies, it will cause a problem, kind of frustrating but at least I was able to come back to it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread