Could I have bad VG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charkel

Mar 19, 2021
I bought my VG from a site who buys in bulk and bottles it.
All my mixing attempts have failed du there is some taste present in all. I just don't know if I'm bad at covering but I've followed recipes and it's always that taste. It's hard to describe it's not bad. It just not good either.

They seem to be a pretty big selling store although with limited products but cheap VG,PG and nic.

They write on the description:
  • Vegetable Glycerin, Glycerol, E-422 or Propanetriol.
  • Our base liquids are always fresh, 100% vegetable (rapeseed origin in the EU) and exceed the requirements for pharmaceutical quality.
Could I have bought some bad VG? How complex can VG be? Could they have bought such a big supply it went bad in their warehouse?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I bought my VG from a site who buys in bulk and bottles it.
All my mixing attempts have failed du there is some taste present in all. I just don't know if I'm bad at covering but I've followed recipes and it's always that taste. It's hard to describe it's not bad. It just not good either.

They seem to be a pretty big selling store although with limited products but cheap VG,PG and nic.

They write on the description:
  • Our base liquids are always fresh, 100% vegetable (rapeseed origin in the EU) and exceed the requirements for pharmaceutical quality.
Could I have bought some bad VG? How complex can VG be? Could they have bought such a big supply it went bad in their warehouse?
Hi,
How does the VG smell?
How does it taste?
Have you vaped only the VG as a test?

Are you mixing flavoring with the VG? Which brand and flavor and at what percentage?
Are you mixing nicotine with the VG? Which brand and strength is your base nicotine?
What is the nicotine content of your final mix?

What device are you using? Topper/tank/rda/pod
If it is a "drop in coil" device, what is the type (mesh/ceramic/multicoil) and resistance?

How long did you smoke and how many per day?
Where are you located?

Cheers
I

Charkel

Mar 19, 2021
@Izan
  • How does the VG smell?
It smells a little sweet but nothing really.
  • How does it taste?
A little sweet and a very slight faint aftertaste of like alcohol
  • Have you vaped only the VG as a test?
Yes tasted boring and not very likeable. Was a long time ago now hard to describe.
  • Are you mixing flavoring with the VG? Which brand and flavor and at what percentage?
I have all the brands. Only fruits. Like 5-10% of each depending on flavour + 2% sucralose standard
  • Are you mixing nicotine with the VG? Which brand and strength is your base nicotine?
3mg - Rainbow Vapes freebase nic
  • What device are you using? Topper/tank/RDA/pod
    If it is a "drop in coil" device, what is the type (mesh/ceramic/multicoil) and resistance?
Mod: SMOK R-KISS
- Tanks: Smok TFV16 w/ Dual mesh coils and a TFV MINI V2 w/ Triple mesh coils
- RDA: Have a Hellvape Passage RDA with Dual Fused Claptons ni80 2x26g+38g 0.2 ohm
That I have had a bit split feelings about. Had a hard time finding right coils and especially wicking it.
  • How long did you smoke and how many per day?
8 a day, 11 years
  • Where are you located?
Sweden

Charkel

Mar 19, 2021
@Letitia
Naah I dunno haven't mixed in a while now when I look at recipes it's like a mix of 1%+4%+2% etc.

They write on the description of the VG:

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
@Letitia
Naah I dunno haven't mixed in a while now when I look at recipes it's like a mix of 1%+4%+2% etc.

They write on the description of the VG:
What brand? That should lead you to type.

Charkel

Mar 19, 2021
What brand? That should lead you to type.
I don't really get brands of VG here in Sweden. It is this: VEGETABILISK GLYCERIN E422 99.7% - Swedish Mixology AB

On the reviews on the site a buyer says this:
Nice and very affordable VG. Keeps at least as high quality as the more expensive brands on the market. Get no muting of this. Some lower quality base liquids can cause some flavors to fade in steep. For example, the bright side of a good lemon. This gives a clean and nice end product that steepers as expected in my experience. Highly recommended.​

And the store replies:
Thank you for the nice rating The truth is that our base fluids are something we are very proud of - and I can guarantee that they are significantly more expensive to purchase than other "more expensive" brands. Since we still have huge volumes of VG and PDO here that we use in our production, we can still sell these at a good price, with us the base fluids flow constantly and it is not a product we have to bring in specifically to sell in the same way as a store normally does.​

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
@Izan
  • How does the VG smell?
It smells a little sweet but nothing really.
  • How does it taste?
A little sweet and a very slight faint aftertaste of like alcohol
  • Have you vaped only the VG as a test?
Yes tasted boring and not very likeable. Was a long time ago now hard to describe.
  • Are you mixing flavoring with the VG? Which brand and flavor and at what percentage?
I have all the brands. Only fruits. Like 5-10% of each depending on flavour + 2% sucralose standard
  • Are you mixing nicotine with the VG? Which brand and strength is your base nicotine?
3mg - Rainbow Vapes freebase nic
  • What device are you using? Topper/tank/RDA/pod
Mod: SMOK R-KISS
- Tanks: Smok TFV16 w/ Dual mesh coils and a TFV MINI V2 w/ Triple mesh coils
- RDA: Have a Hellvape Passage RDA with Dual Fused Claptons ni80 2x26g+38g 0.2 ohm
That I have had a bit split feelings about. Had a hard time finding right coils and especially wicking it.
  • How long did you smoke and how many per day?
8 a day, 11 years
  • Where are you located?
Sweden
If the VG + nicotine tests, smells, and vapes "boring" and without the off flavor, then it MUST be in your mixing.
Which brand of sweetener are you using?

IMO,
Pick a simple recipe you are using and post it for advice.
Please include the brand and labeled name of the flavor (s) when posting percentages.

How long have you owned the Smok R-Kiss?
What is the resistance of the coil?
How many watts are you using?
How long are your puffs/ inhales?

Again, Welcome to the ECF,
I

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I don't really get brands of VG here in Sweden. It is this: VEGETABILISK GLYCERIN E422 99.7% - Swedish Mixology AB

Oh, you're in Sweden! :) Hej!

Let us know if you see something like BP (British Pharmacopoeia) or EP (the European Pharmacopoeia) symbol on the bottle. If it's not there, than your VG is probably food grade and NOT suitable for vaping. It won't kill you, but it really is not advisable.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Good to know. My vg usually gets used within a year so I don't have to worry about it.

I'm using a 3 year-old VG (US Pharma) as we speak, and it's perfectly fine. I don't know--we've been told that only Pharma grade VG and PG are acceptable for inhalation. Because it means that they adhere to strict standards of manufacturing, clean rooms, highest purity, etc.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Too much flavor can make a mix taste bad. I'd recommend taking a single flavor and mixing just with it at the lower end of the manufacturer's recommendation. If there are no recommendations, then start at 5%. If your test mix tastes bad, then try again at 3%. If it's bland then add more flavor. If it's still bad, try again with a different flavor. Maybe your flavors are bad.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    As you described the smell of it as it came, it sounds OK and I'd agree with previous posts that it could be something to do with the flavours you are using.

As a comparison you could go into a chemists shop and get a bottle of Pharmaceutical Grade Glycerine, add up to 10% by volume distilled water ( some would say 5%, but 10 worked fine for me ) give it a good shake to mix it and then try it.

When I made my own e lquid liquid in the UK that's what I used as VG.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread