Coworker objections

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrasslover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Willow Spring, NC
So, I've been vaping in my cube for over a year now with the blessing of all those that mattered. I have a coworker that I used to be friends with but he's thrown me and my team under the bus on more than one occassion when he didn't know what the hell he was talking about so we are no longer friends. Well, after all this time he sends me a message asking me to stop vaping because the smell bothers him. The guy that sits right next to me can't smell it and doesn't care but he, who sits further away, all of a sudden has a problem with it.

Tim said (8/14/2012 at 10:34 AM)
will you vap outside? the smell bothers me
Greg said (8/14/2012 at 10:41 AM)
you must smell something else cause it doesn't really have a smell. what do you smell?
Tim said (8/14/2012 at 10:42 AM)
it's an acrid cloud of scented water vaper. sometimes kind of vinela, always gross
Greg said (8/14/2012 at 10:43 AM)
no vanilla here and doug doesn't smell anything
Tim said (8/14/2012 at 10:44 AM)
Ok, I didn't actually think you'd stop, just had to ask

So, I had to mix up some unflavored so it wouldn't bother him. I am totally respectful of others and if it did bother someone I would stop but he's just being a d**k. He hasn't complained to anyone yet but if he does then I'm going to share some of his secrets that "bother" me.
:evil:

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
There are two of us here that vape in the office. No one has ever said anything about smelling anything when we vape in our offices. When I smoked analogs (and of course I smoked outside) I got lots of complaints, my office smelled bad, my clothes smelled bad, etc. If someone had the door open while we were outside smoking and a little bit got inside they would raise cane. In other words, the people I work with are not shy about complaining. Since I started vaping, not one word from anyone.

Your coworker is just being a buttshead.

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
I've been vaping in my cubicle for over 3 years. Two weeks ago, my job enacted a strict no-smoking ban inside AND outside of the building. What's more, they made sure to specify vaping as part of that no-smoking ban.

I STILL vape in my cubicle.

Heck...I vape walking around the building.

The thing is, what they don't SEE...in this case, vapor...they don't know I do. I'm all for sharing the joys of vaping, but not at the expense of disturbing my co-workers and potentially having someone blow the whistle on me.

So I keep my mouth shut, my vapor to myself, and no one knows from nuthin'.

Davenkay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Well...I be d..ned! Seems no one can be satisfied with anything. I called my Hr department and flat out told them that I had quit smoking. Yea...she said...good job keep at it! I then told her that I was vaping and that was a safe water vapor that keeps me off the cigarettes. That I will be vaping at the desk instead of wasting productive time going outside and that several other people in the Baltimore office will be vaping as well. Also,that if she thought this was aginst the rules tell me now and make sure the top management of the Company knows about what I am doing at the desk.

After all that said, I met with the President of the Company last week and sat across the conference room table just vaping away. I'm fortunate to work with understanding people.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Way to go Dave! Heck I'm surprised the CDC, Ash and the rest of those damn frauds haven't given the entire northern USA to Canada as a freebie yet - because every time the weather gets cold, they have smoke coming out of their mouths and its secondhand and it's going to kill me and offspring!!! (as if we'd be so lucky, hmph)

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
Well, being a Federal employee, rules and regulations are governed by Union contract. I paid the Union office a visit and they found the so-called restrictions on vaping very interesting. You see, according to what's specified in the Union contract, smoking is defined as the use of lighted tobacco products. Since vaping has nothing to do with lit tobacco products, I am well within my rights to vape as I please. So I'm comforted by this fact should anyone decide to raise a serious objection about it.

But you gotta "pick your battles". No sense raising a fuss over a practice I've enjoyed stealthily since I first discovered vaping. And this smoking ban is converting employees to vaping who previously showed no interest. There's strength in numbers, so if it ever occurs that they insist on negotiating a new contract that specifically bans vaping, we'll stand a better chance of fighting it.

Last edited:

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
This subject has reminded me of an incident that occurred the day the smoking ban was announced. A co-worker who knows I vape couldn't wait to share his delight at not having to walk through a cloud of smoke upon entering the building each day. He goes on and on about the joys of a smoke-free environment, to which I listen without interruption. He finally gets around to the real purpose of visiting my cubicle...how I feel about not being able to vape. Bemused, I replied to him...

"...what do you think I've been doing the last 10 minutes?"

njay23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
West Deptford, NJ
So, I had to mix up some unflavored so it wouldn't bother him. I am totally respectful of others and if it did bother someone I would stop but he's just being a d**k. He hasn't complained to anyone yet but if he does then I'm going to share some of his secrets that "bother" me.
:evil:[/QUOTE]

I know I have vaped some juice that people didn't like the smell of. Maybe he's being a d**k, maybe not. Why add fuel to the fire? I stealth vape at work and have never been called out. Besides, with the history between you two it's probably not even about vaping! Maybe next it will be he doesn't like the brand of pen you use because it makes so much noise dragging across the paper.

milo hobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Lake Charles La
My work situation is rather unique. I work as a case manager for those with severe and persistant mental illenss. This population is well known for having a strong disposition towards tobacco addiction. As a case manager, I visit them in there homes, and many of them smoke in there house. I find the smell of cigarette smoke abhorrent, but it is parr for the course. When I am at the office, I either stealth vape or only vape when no one is immediately around who cares.

A few of them have shown interest in vaping seeing me do it, but we don't have a local vape shop and most don't have credit cards for online shopping. Another part of me worries that they wouldn't have the social skills to articulate the fundamentals of tobacco harm reduction or the communication skills necessary to handle the situation gracefully enough to prevent a major media situation.

Trilly

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
Cheking out the landlords and my employers rules regarding smoking clarified things, smoking is defined as ignited tobacco product, the examples given were cigarettes, cigars and pipes, since nowhere does it say anything about vaping I knew I could at least ask in confidence that I was not breaking any rules, I'm lucky I have an office to myself and that my coworkers are supportive, the only request was I didn't vape infront of the diorectors but as they only visit our offices once or twice a year that isn't an issue, the landlords however were a little less agreeable, and asked me is I would mind refraining from vaping in the common areas (my company shares the building with several others), since this is simply a means in ingress and egress I don't have a problem with their request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread