Credit Card Fraud, it just happened to me too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
Like I've said in the other thread, for me it's paypal only or no deal anymore, I've never had my paypal account hacked so I guess it's UK and China only from now on.
PayPal can be hacked. I found that out just a few months ago when they hit me for $250 from some gaming site. Fortunately, PayPal was on the ball and contacted me about it almost immediately. I got my money back with no issues. Still, don't think PayPal is really any safer than any other form of online payment because it's not.

glowgirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
A, A
I have a paypal account and I use it for ebay. The problem with paypal is that it is linked to my checking. If it gets hacked, it's the same to me as my bank card getting hacked. Paying $3 a month for a reloadable card seems to be the safest deal. Of course my hubby is over the moon as now I will have to stick to a monthly budget. I figure I will load $75 per month and stick to it. Safety and built in will power.

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I am just going to create a new email address for every vendor I buy from. So I will make a new address 123vendor1@abc.com for vendor number one and 123vendor2@abc.com for vendor number two etc...
Because all of the purchases were made online, they will use the email address that is on the order as well. Then if I get a confirmation about a purchase I did not make, I will know which vendor was comprimised.
For temp email addresses I use TrashMail - Disposable email addresses and get one from there. You can set the number of emails you want to get and how long you want the address to be active.

Great for stopping spam when you register on a new site, too.

If you use Firefox as your browser you can install an add-on and not have to go to the site each time you want to create a new email address.

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
Well...I was hit by the ole credit card fraud also. Just noticed it this morning...funny thing is that they used an old email account that I never use AND have never purchased anything through that email account. Also, the credit card they used is one I DO NOT use. I have no idea how they got my bank information...ugh! They charged for Gevalia and Netflix x's 2. Went to the bank and got it all cleared up. I am for sure that this WAS NOT due to me using my card for purchasing e cig related stuff.
While I was in the bank taking care of this problem, another customer right next to me said she had the same thing happen to her 3 weeks ago, they also charged for Gevalia.....
I closed my old email account and the bank cancelled the card so all is well.

glowgirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
A, A
Oh bummer!! I think their is just a lot of fraud going on right now. Glad you caught it.

Well...I was hit by the ole credit card fraud also. Just noticed it this morning...funny thing is that they used an old email account that I never use AND have never purchased anything through that email account. Also, the credit card they used is one I DO NOT use. I have no idea how they got my bank information...ugh! They charged for Gevalia and Netflix x's 2. Went to the bank and got it all cleared up. I am for sure that this WAS NOT due to me using my card for purchasing e cig related stuff.
While I was in the bank taking care of this problem, another customer right next to me said she had the same thing happen to her 3 weeks ago, they also charged for Gevalia.....
I closed my old email account and the bank cancelled the card so all is well.

Daedalus

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Internet3
3) We all shop online more then the average person so we are hacked more often

While seemingly too obvious or simple, this is really the closest to the truth. Occam's Razor.

Fraud is going to happen no matter what, the more you put your credit card # out there the higher the odds go.

As far as linking specific vendors to fraud cases, it's almost impossible to do and also not always the most likely culprit. Even if you were to use a different CC# for every vendor, and one finally gets fraudulent activity, I wouldn't immediately point the finger at that vendor. Either by keylogger on your computer or in transit (maybe an unprotected wifi network, or one you think is protected), your information can be stolen by a third party at over a dozen different vectors.

I haven't experienced it personally yet but then again, I only order supplies about once a month and don't do very much online shopping other than ecigs. Some people on here seem to order new stuff weekly.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Got my sis to order an e-cig and then I told her to keep an eye for this. She turned around and told her hubby (non-smoker) who is very happy she is giving this a go, and he just canceled the card!!!
After I found out about that, I told her to get a re-loadable card because, as you well know, she'll be ordering more stuff!!!!!!!

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.

thorn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
TX, USA
Reloadable cards seem okay. Especially if you are forgoing the interest rate for a lower monthly fee. But prepaid cards will never get your money back like a credit card company can do but they do limit how much can be stolen. Checks can be duplicated, falsified, and stolen. You could western union/moneygram cash to a fronted falsified place/person. So there are pluses and minuses to all sides. Your bank/card info can be stolen in transit when paying for dinner and the card leaves your sight, between you and a website vendor, between a vendor and merchant, or between merchant bank and holding company. People tend to forget that millions of transaction and personal data crosses the internet every day/night, even if it is for a bank to move money around within their own corporation. Cash currency in hand is the only truely safe way, unless you are mugged. Okay, the bartering system, that is the only safe way. :)

Cyia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Independence, Missouri
Like I've said in the other thread, for me it's paypal only or no deal anymore, I've never had my paypal account hacked so I guess it's UK and China only from now on.

I just had my paypal account hacked. whoo right? And I've only given my number to vendor sites and tacobell.. -sighs-

shawnp1

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I personally would be pretty amazed if they managed to hack my site being its on a semidedicated server with volusion, ssl, pci compliant, and we only use the two biggest cc processors out there. i been looking at all these threads almost daily, would be interesting to try and figure just how, where etc...

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Anyone checked out these????

Prepaid Cards - Debit, Credit, and Prepaid Options - CreditCards.com

What's the best one? The Walmart one sound convenient, but costs about $9.50 per month to load and use it.
Have you checked with your own CC company to see if they offer FREE one-time-use (or virtual) CC numbers?

I have one from FIA and they have a feature called Shop Safe which gives me a Free CC number any time I want one.

Also I understand CITI has one under the "Tools" option on your account page.

Wouldn't be without mine and it's sooooo easy to use.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
I was hit about a week ago. What the fraud dept at my bank (US Bank) told me was that while it was possible my info was taken as a result of a vendor transaction, it was just as likely that the thieves are simply using random number generators to create a 16-digit (or however many digits your card has) numbers, pinging the card for small amounts, and then if they get a hit, they start putting through progressively larger charges. I got lucky and the fraud dept at the bank was on the ball and stopped it so they got no money, but I am inconvenienced because the card was canceled and I'm twiddling my thumbs and watching good sales go by until I get a new card in the mail, hopefully by the end of this week.

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
Has anyone considered a keylogger that's flying under the radar? One computer ago I was hit (hard) by a virus called virut that slipped past my antivirus (norton) with complete ease. I'll spare the gory details, but I'm on a different computer these days - even reformatting couldn't completely kill it, and no matter how many times trendmicro tries, it remains poised and ready to kill on an old jump drive. It's just evil super-genius stuff that was trying to send information to a server in China. I probably got infected by a lyrics site one of my daughters visited, and it just wasn't on Norton's radar at the time of our attack. What made it particularly insidious is that it replicated and modified itself (ie, was polymorphic) as it spread. To add insult to injury, nothing was downloaded - we literally didn't download anything - it was picked up and loaded by a site visit.

So.. are there any known viruses in the wild that may've infected a common site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread