Credit Card Fraud, it just happened to me too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glowgirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
A, A
Oh I should add some information to this. I only use this card for vaping supplies and I have malware and antivirus installed on my computer. My husband says that big tobacco probably is hacking vendor sites and trying to mess up their business. Paranoid I know but I do believe vendor sites are being hacked and I am finally taking it seriously and going to get a loadable card.

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
I am just going to create a new email address for every vendor I buy from. So I will make a new address 123vendor1@abc.com for vendor number one and 123vendor2@abc.com for vendor number two etc...
Because all of the purchases were made online, they will use the email address that is on the order as well. Then if I get a confirmation about a purchase I did not make, I will know which vendor was comprimised.

this is happening more and more. I know there are vendors who will accept PayPal, Jay at GLV and Bruce over at clouds of vapor are 2 for sure. Also, I know Vaporbomb has an option to print and call to pay, which keeps all of your CC info from being hacked on the internet. I am sure if you do a little research with your favorite vendors and send emails or make calls, most would be willing to accept payments over the phone, which would eliminate the internet "paper trail" and the chance of being hacked.

Not an ideal situation because you would have to order during normal business hours, but its better than having your CC hi-jacked.

glowgirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
A, A
Well I asked a few other people who had this happen to them and none of us are using the same vendors. Here are my best guesses for what's happening:

1) Like my husband said, there is a secret op to break into all ecig vendors by big tobacco
2) The vendors are all using the same credit card processing company and it has been compromised
3) We all shop online more then the average person so we are hacked more often

Either way the solution is clear. We all need to use a separate card that has limited funds on it and can be monitored easily. I am going with the prepaid cards I can get anywhere. Lame but better then losing my tuition money or what have you.

Note to vendors: If you pay extra to enhance security I am sure you will see a flood of new buyers. It feels very creepy to be hacked even if you catch it and get your money back. Trust is important to customers so if I were a vendor I would take steps to ensure it wasn't my site and let the vaping public know what I was doing to protect them.

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
Like I've said in the other thread, for me it's paypal only or no deal anymore, I've never had my paypal account hacked so I guess it's UK and China only from now on.

You can use a paypal debit/credit card (that links to your bank account or credit card on file if no funds are in your PP account). I've been using this for 90% of my online purchases for years and have never been hacked/etc... I've used it at all e-cig suppliers I've bought from and have never had a purchase rejected by paypal..

VPDownunder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
Tasmania, Australia
You can use a paypal debit/credit card (that links to your bank account or credit card on file if no funds are in your PP account). I've been using this for 90% of my online purchases for years and have never been hacked/etc... I've used it at all e-cig suppliers I've bought from and have never had a purchase rejected by paypal..

Can't do this from an Australian paypal account unfortunately, the store has to accept paypal as a form of payment :(

petem

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
va
A few years ago a charge showed up on my CC that was thru a paypal account. I never even have a paypal account. Got caught quick and charge deleted from my CC but they never notified of any finding card was reissued. Last year opened new accout with american express. Within two weeks of opening it having only used it 5 or 6 times there was a charge to the card I did not make. Got it resloved and new card issued and this card I never used online. I don't think anything is 100% secure, just have to take steps to limit your risk. All this happened before I even heard of an e cig so I think it just hackers breaking into the processing system rather that the merchants.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I am going to have to go buy one of those walmart credit cards.

If you can't use PayPal, THIS is the solution!!!

--------------------------------------------
UK Vapefest
UKVapefest 2010 is heading your way !! – 23rd October 2010 UK Vapefest
--------------------------------------------
Consider me your recycling center for Njoy Pro, Smoking Everywhere Gold, Cloud 9, Smoke 51 Trio, and DSE103 useless batteries.
Other hardware if it’s still usable.
Those I loan out to/give to thank you.
----------------------------------------------
Support CASAA
CASAA | The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association
Don’t forget to donate to IVAQS research
CASAA.org

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I bought a Walmart reloadable Money Card today and there's a $3 per month service charge attached to it, 95 cents to check your balance, plus $3 every time you reload it. They are supposed to be the lowest, but they still have to make money, I guess. I wonder how they get their $3 fee each month if you only put in the amount you are about to spend? It must come off the top when you reload it. I guess most people put in even amounts higher than the next online purchase just to be safe.

There are supposedly some cards with a larger upfront fee that don't suck it dry over time with fees and let you transfer funds at no charge. If someone knows who has the best deal. Please post it here.

I'd like to have a reloadable card from my bank so that I can go online and transfer money to it just before I buy something.

Last edited:

vaporgalinfla

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
May 7, 2010
Florida
I bought a Walmart reloadable Money Card today and there's a $3 per month service charge attached to it, 95 cents to check your balance, plus $3 every time you reload it. They are supposed to be the lowest, but they still have to make money, I guess. I wonder how they get their $3 fee each month if you only put in the amount you are about to spend? It must come off the top when you reload it. I guess most people put in even amounts higher than the next online purchase just to be safe.

There are supposedly some cards with a larger upfront fee that don't suck it dry over time with fees and let you transfer funds at no charge. If someone knows who has the best deal. Please post it here.

I'd like to have a reloadable card from my bank so that I can go online and transfer money to it just before I buy something.

All I did was open a second account that has no fees (called 'free checking.' I requested that the card doesn't allow overdrafts. When I make a purchase, I transfer the exact amount from my other account. I bank with Wachovia, which is part of Wells Fargo.

Firefly13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Oklahoma, USA
www.blackvelvetjuice.com
If people don't want to say the vendors names, they should at least say the shopping cart software that the site is running... i would be VERY suprised if it was a Volusion cart, i've never heard of a CC fraud problem with them, that's who we use with proper SSL, and even as the vendor we don't get to see the customers credit card numbers, just the last 4 digits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread