Curious about "nicotine addiction"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
What is the difference between using nicotine and being addicted to prescription pills (anxiety, depression, etc)? Nicotine has been demonized. To me, vaping is less harmful than being addicted to pills or sugar; but yet the high and mighty don't see it that way.

Some trials showed that nicotine alone, given to never-smokers to treat some ilnesses, is NOT addictive. People get more addicted on those pills you mentioned than on nicotine...

Nicotine Propaganda

Nicotine and Health

Apparently, many ANTZ's, and even Doctors, do NOT know about those studies. :(

toddkuen

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
The interesting thing to this link (others have posted it as well) is that nicotine occurs in everyone's body whether they smoke or not.

Common sense should tell you that {OTHER STUFF} DO NOT show up in someone's body unless they ingest them.

Is vitamin C addictive or are you "dependent" on it because you take it?

Or does your body require it to function normally?

Smoking is a bad way to get the necessary nicotine into your body. vaping is not.

Last edited by a moderator:

iowajosh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
iowa
I've read a lot of information and reasoning behind the potential harms of ecigs, one that continues to come up is the lack of knowledge about long term effects of a nicotine addiction. Wouldn't a smoker be a prime example of the issue the presented? So inexorably the answer is, remove the tar, benzene etc. problems on top of smoking and well, it's not really a rational statement. If anything it comes off to me as an admission that we have all come to see as ecigs being a vastly superior alternative health wise.

Am I missing something, or is everyone just crazy? (I'm aware specifically nicotine hasn't been studied by itself, but it has in combination with the nasties of analogs which have been attributed much if not all of the problems of smoking) Hell, why not study caffeine, the sister drug?

I recently heard the "nicotione addiction" catch phrase. Nicotine is the only common link vaping has with real smoking except for appearance. It is also the "entire" justification for the FDA wanting control over ecigs! They have to justify how "bad" it is or they fail, publicly.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I recently heard the "nicotione addiction" catch phrase. Nicotine is the only common link vaping has with real smoking except for appearance. It is also the "entire" justification for the FDA wanting control over ecigs! They have to justify how "bad" it is or they fail, publicly.

Of course, this is the same FDA that issued the following statement in November of last year (which completely undercuts the rationale of their proposed policy toward e-cigs):

"Now, the Food and Drug Administration—after reviewing scientific research on the safety of NRT products sold over the counter (OTC)—has decided that some warnings and limitations specified in the directions for use on the labels of these products are no longer necessary to make sure they are used safely and effectively to quit smoking.

The changes that FDA is allowing to these labels reflect the fact that although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence."

I've noticed since I've been vaping that I can go hours at the time without nicotine. That sure wasn't the case when I was smoking.

I can totally identify with this comment. In addition, the first analog in the morning was ALWAYS within 10 minutes of waking up, but now I don't really think about having a vape until I am up, out of the door and strolling on my way to work. The dependence/addiction/whatever you want to call it has a totally different and far less pre-occupying profile.

liquid_strat

Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
u.s.
NATE760, I agree with this totally. Its the reason the FDA is "dependent" on swinging as many politicians their way. Well actually, the FDA is letting the advocacy groups do it for them.
The link to the "Nicotine Myths" ties up in one place what many already know or have found out with a little digging, so to speak.

Last edited:

deevey

Aug 13, 2012
Philippines
I've used fog juice with scents (flavorings?) in it since the 80s. For example, if the club was running a drink special on Pina Coladas we'd actually mix pineapple and coconut fog juice.

I'm not sure if the scents are food flavorings, though.

Few Clubs I know of used to put poppers in the smoke fluid :evil: the "flavours" you speak of were just perfumes though, not flavours - I used to sell them. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread