Custard & Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArminF

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2018
Switzerland
Hello,
yes i am a custard fan. Pudding, cake, caramel, vanilla, cream.. etc etc...
BUT i am not a coiling fan. I mean i can build a coil and wick it. Made it long enough to get it done.
BUT why the H*** do these flavors killing the coils so fasten. Ok more "sugar/sweet" or something burns into the coil as far as i can explain it so myself.

IS there anyway to keep this from happening?
Used different brands and with all it happen. Do i really have to live with it?
Capella, TPA, Herrlan, French ones, UK ones.. does not matter.

From what i figured out it happened to all the wires i used. Kanthal, NI80, SS304 and 316.
Now that i am back to MTL and a POD system i "killed" 3 Pods in a week. Which makes me a bit worry. Those Orion pods are not the cheapest but delivered the best pod flavors i ever had. OK plus the dna chip i could heat them and got a warmer really good tasty vapor out of them.

Nevertheless i cannot imagine myself to switch from these lovely flavors just to save the life of the pods a bit longer.

Tried from 80% VG to 50% now. All with the same result.

SO my last hope is a explanation how to use these flavours in the right manner to keep them from burning to fast into the coils. On the other hand i think they need a special heat to bring out all the nuances of the taste.

How do you "custard fans" handle it? Just rewick / recoil more often?

very curious!
thank you
armin

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hello,
yes i am a custard fan. Pudding, cake, caramel, vanilla, cream.. etc etc...
BUT i am not a coiling fan. I mean i can build a coil and wick it. Made it long enough to get it done.
BUT why the H*** do these flavors killing the coils so fasten. Ok more "sugar/sweet" or something burns into the coil as far as i can explain it so myself.

IS there anyway to keep this from happening?
Used different brands and with all it happen. Do i really have to live with it?
Capella, TPA, Herrlan, French ones, UK ones.. does not matter.

From what i figured out it happened to all the wires i used. Kanthal, NI80, SS304 and 316.
Now that i am back to MTL and a POD system i "killed" 3 Pods in a week. Which makes me a bit worry. Those Orion pods are not the cheapest but delivered the best pod flavors i ever had. OK plus the DNA chip i could heat them and got a warmer really good tasty vapor out of them.

Nevertheless i cannot imagine myself to switch from these lovely flavors just to save the life of the pods a bit longer.

Tried from 80% VG to 50% now. All with the same result.

SO my last hope is a explanation how to use these flavours in the right manner to keep them from burning to fast into the coils. On the other hand i think they need a special heat to bring out all the nuances of the taste.

How do you "custard fans" handle it? Just rewick / recoil more often?

very curious!
thank you
armin

Try Provari Fuel

E Cigarette Premium Liquid: E-Cig Refill & E-juice

Their liquids are a little easier on coils overall.

Other than that add a little TFA smooth to your mixes.. that might help some. (Just like 1 drop per 15 to 20 ml or so)

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thank you. If this would do the trick i am more than happy to try!

I like sweet desserts of the 100% vg variety and when I vaped full-time I had to clean my coils and rewick every 5 days or so...

Someone who buys the Cascade Wilderness ejuice once said they only had to do the same once a month. Might have been the type of ejuice might have been brand specific might have been that the ejuice they were using was specifically designed for the coils they used.

The smooth might help plastisize your wick some and thus allow it to last longer, but it won't stop gunking from occuring with super sweet high VG juices.

Try the ejuice.. it may be more helpful in the end..

ranjen617

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2014
Somewhere in mid - AL, USA
Have you tried Itcvapes? That's the main juice I use and you'd probably like all of theirs with maybe one or two not being in that line. I go with usually the 70/30 blend and 6mg as well as 12mg (I use less mg before I go to sleep).

Nilla Gorilla, Spoonlicker OG, Custard #2, the a Base are just a few that you might like. I'm a custard/pudding/cake person here. I use the Base to add more of a custard type tone to many juices and by itself. Never a gross taste or freaked out coils. I've been running my Smoant Naboo on its first kit tank coil now since mid October if that tells you anything. Most tank coils I get a good few weeks at the least and a build lasts it seems forever (never checked the date to see).

Decent prices, fast delivery and been with them since about 2013/14. Never an issue. Plus he will help if you want a more custom blend.

Reactions: smacuser

ranjen617

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2014
I'm about to get into the diy method as well. I have a bottle of vg that I blend in to mellow out my itchies. Seems easy enough to do and I've helped a friend before.
Maybe there's another brand out there that might be better on the coils. The store I mentioned do sell diy products so they could probably still help out.

I've just got to set my mind to buying a simple starter kit and figuring out what flavors to start with. You might could even help me on that since the custard flavor seems to be my ADV for the most part. I got swamped with flavors the other night and just simply gave up. ...I had no clue.

Hope you find your answer to stop the gunk and fried coils. They can be a pain all at the wrong times. :)

ArminF

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2018
Switzerland
@ranjen617 thank you!
DIY Liquids is something i do really enjoy. You can plan your recipe and set the amount of drops into a small glas of warm water. With that you can taste what you will produce. On the other hand you pay more on flavors as some taste good for your and other just not.. i cannot remember how many i moved to the bin... Another thing is steeping times. Especially for custard, cremes and tobacco. This can take up to a half a year and you will wonder how the taste can change if the rest for a while. Get yourself a small milk mixer. Small wire device which helps you mixing the liquids. I sometimes used hand warm water and put them into the ultra sonic bath.

• Informative
Reactions: ranjen617

ranjen617

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2014
Thank you so much. I just put a thread out there on getting started.
I have a mixer or two here at the house. So I'm good there. I guess you basically just taste as you go then. Interesting. Easy enough. I have plenty of time to do that during the week.
You are so right in the steeping times. I've put down a juice or two over time and just think I'd have about the same flavor to come back to. No. Some were so much better and some, well just gross and got tossed. Not to mention a dark, yucky color that I'd rather not even try.
I'm going to start with one of those kits and try to build up. I guess with our flavor profile it should be quite simple. I like a few others but not much different, maybe an added taste here or there.
I guess you start off slow on the flavor and just bump it up to where you want it then. My friend had a recipe they used and just simply mixed it. I know I won't be as lucky since my taste changes up. I'll go with a mint also since that keeps my taste buds in check.
Guess I'll order one in the next few weeks and get a few made. I have enough juice to hold me over until a few can steep. Worst case scenario, I can buy more until then or maybe make a bottle a little stronger if need be.
Thank you so much for your help! We have to start somewhere I guess! :)

ArminF

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2018
Switzerland
@ranjen617 - you are welcome. Happy to help :)
i used to vape DL and could mix a 1 liter of DIY in the kitchen with a mixer.. misses did not found it funny.. but me :)
Now i am at MTL and need to size down thats why i bought me a small milk mixer.
And some smaller cups. Now my max is 100ML. Bit more challenging to mix 0.5 ml from one and 0.25 from another plus 3 ml from a third flavour bottle and so on. handle now syringe and needles. Looks like a weird professor sometime.. haha

Attachments

• 61pWyc26bmL._SY355_.jpg
    61pWyc26bmL._SY355_.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 10

ranjen617

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2014
@ArminF Yes, I can relate. I touch here or there would give me fits. I know to start with I'll have to but. ...I don't want this to become a lab experience since whenever I make coils the other half here looks at me (just coils now, not touching the actually mod) like I'm about to explode the house. Funny story but true. No electronic engineering in him! :)

I actually have a mixer like that. It's under the bar and never gets used. Yeah one of those purchases. Well that just worked out great. Good idea!

I guess my vape area will turn into a station on blending juices. Just more bottles of juice to find a home for. My "space" goes from sewing to a computer area to a coil making spot. I need a girls cave here. Maybe take over his. Just kidding! Lol.
I'm a DL here. At some point I'm going to buy one of those little disposable mods for him. I've tried but mine are way too much and cannot seem to teach the MTL without a choking event here. Still trying. I guess they let us do our thing simply because it's more healthy. I think. Give and take. ....
I'm sure I'll need to expess the fact that new flavors don't mean I'm about to cook a cake or become some pastry chef around here or that might get confusing. I can only see that happening now. "Oh vanilla, custard, strawberries? What are you going to make us? Uhm, no, that's more vape stuff!" :) :)
Thank you so much again. I'm sure it's going to be a lab look here as well. Plus a funny look on my face trying to experiment. ....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread