Custom copper/silver alloy mechanical mod! (hits hard!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
View attachment 325018 (stupid phone, sorry you have to break your neck to see it.)

Hey guys, last month I felt froggy and wanted to design my own personal 18650 mechanical mod, so I leapt. I've got a great understanding of chemical properties, alloy smelting and properties, and a little electrical engineering (since I've started vaping :p) so I wanted to apply that to building my idea of a perfect mechanical.

Which is somewhere near 100% conductivity, virtually no resistance, no oxidizability (patina/need to polish), and a good magnetic button.

And I succeeded! In fact it has 101% conductivity (yes that's possible, look up "most conductive metals") under .0104ohms resistance (really low! 10.4 microhm's), it's oxygen free so no patina polishing needed (although I'll probably coat it in pokyurethane to protect it anyway), and I already had my favorite magnetic button that just so happened to match :p.

Here's how I made it; my JDTech Stingray black copper top cap and bottom magnetic switch, with silver plated copper contacts all around is what I already had to work with because I'm OCD about firing buttons, and this one glides like astroglide, the throw feels touch-sensitive so I'm in love with it. These have .5mm threading on them so my pipe threading machine at work (lowes) can make my tube work as long as I find one (an it's free because I'm an employee :D).

http://www.pwalloy.com/en/productsInfo.asp?id=10
So for my tube, I started researching what the best alloy would be best for conductivity, and anyone who's ever looked knows silver and copper are the top two options, perfect, it'll match my top/bottom caps! So after a few hours of looking I came across a silver copper alloy (that has a gorgeous shiny, lighter copper luster to it) that's un-oxidizable, and a 100% conductivity rating: c10700 alloy is what I was looking for. It's used in high-speed railway contact wire, and communications electronics: a good sign lol. It's also relatively tough compared to most silver alloys because it's only .85% silver and the rest copper, which is much more suitable for mechanical tensile strength required of my mechanical mods :p. Since it's tough already, I jumped on the phone and talked to a cool cat from metal suppliers online (suppliersonline.com) and asked if I could bump the silver content up to 1.5% : Cu 98.5%, surprisingly yes I could, so I ordered a 6.98" x .866" billet of that beautiful Copper-Silver alloy, that I would later cut in half (to have two chances to make it right and/or make different size battery tubes later) and hollowed out on my lathe to 1mm thickness.

The trickiest part was measuring the exact length of the .5mm threading to match the stingrays locking ring and caps, however after taking it on and off the machine a few times, and cleaning up the edges on my lathe again, she's perfect! I thought for sure I'd have to use the other half of the billet after a mess up, but the surgery was a success, I feel like a mech mod dr. Frankenstein, IT LIIIIVES!

I volt drop tested her with a fresh 2000mAH Vtc4 Sony and a .3ohm coil and it only dropped .08! So I'm definitely keeping the contacts clean and everything else sparkly before I coat it in polyurethane (May not if it affects cond./volt drop or whatever else) to keep it shimmering, not because I have to though :D, it's jut because I love that "wet glass" look.

I usually try to ignore conductivity tests and volt drops etc. because there's so many variables including thickness and a plethora of other things so I like to do the vape test, and she does hit like a train! I won't lie and say there's a crazy difference between my copper stingray, because there isn't, I've noticed the same dual coil feels barely warmer in vapor though. And another cool thing is if I notice any heat at all it goes away in a flash, it even feels cold to the touch a few seconds after putting it down that's probably the biggest difference I've noticed. And again, I personally love the slightly silvery copper, trust me the crappy iphone pic doesn't do it justice.

-Hope someone gets a kick out of this :), I did it for you ECF! (jk it's mine, back off! :p) I'm wondering why any other mechanical manufacturers have used c10700? I mean high conductive, and no need to polish?! I'd like to see a total sterling silver mod one day :drool:, I've seen that it's super cheap in Mexico, hmmm. Holler back now if you want to see more/blueprints etc.!

Vape on! :vapor:

Last edited:

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Treehead, I'm mightily impressed and how gorgeous! :w00t: AND, I don't even do mechs 'cause I'm a wienie. :p

Congratulations on your new found part of your hobby......I'd say a successful very first try! :thumbs:

Thanks granny :D, your not a wienie you just like what you like :toast:. (I'd much rather prefer to use my vamo to be honest if it could do what my mech does) Thank you, it turned out to be the best performing mod I own on my first try =D. I think like I said next is to basically flip the silver and copper content, to make a basically sterling silver mod (won't that look purdy? :drool:), because it'll have even better conductivity I'm guessing around 104%! But I'm buffing and brushing the copper myself now so that it'll look good, and then it's off to have my name slapped on it and some kind of design by an engraver. :)

-Thank you again!

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
I'm sure you could find a reasonably priced laser engraving company in your area.

37, ph0n3 h0m3.

Yep I found one, thanks. My Alaska hometown has a pretty talented slew of them up here (for some reason our natives like to engrave wood ALOT), now it's to decide what goes on, and how to write my initials on this bad boy. I'm thinking something similar to a turtle-ship, but not with korean writing.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
SO my newborn mechanical mod was sent to an engraver in town to have some tibetan writing (ohm mani padme hum, meditation mantra) engraved, along with my name in tibetan as well.

This is my design and will be going on both sides of the body:
View attachment 325226
And this is designed by a tibetan artist I know for the bottom cap (which is also copper):
View attachment 325227
(it's the "circle of life" in tibetan culture, or literally translated "cyclic existence".
And finally my name (Patrick) in tibetan written opposing the mantra on the body on both sides.
View attachment 325228
-I'm so freakin pumped to see the final result, it's basically my perfect mod (for my preferences), copper that doesn't tarnish/oxidize, above 100% conductivity, low as hell volt drop, and the best magnetic button I've experience yet (with all pure silver contacts). I'd be happy to make one for anyone on ECF, with your name instead of course (for a price ).

CANNOT WAIT!

2naphish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
the boro, Tennessee
nice job there. i am considering the sliver myself. i have about 4 lbs. of silver coins that are heavily circulated, some almost with no dates left. so very little chance of wasting a rare collectible. i think that ought be enough to make great 26650 tube. might be something to do with the BFM when i get it next month (using the top and bottom caps that is). great idea and nice execution there bro.:D

ADLinATL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Marietta, GA
Those Tibetan engravings are cool. If you want best low voltage drop though you should go with a top like the 4nine or bay city vapor mods with a direct contact from atomizer to battery.

2naphish, I'm also getting a BCV BFM. That's gonna be sick! Did you get the stack tube as well? 8.4 volts = 70.5 watts with a 1 oHm coil. That's right people 1 oHm coil, not .1. This things gonna blow my head off haha.

2naphish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
the boro, Tennessee
Those Tibetan engravings are cool. If you want best low voltage drop though you should go with a top like the 4nine or bay city vapor mods with a direct contact from atomizer to battery.

2naphish, I'm also getting a BCV BFM. That's gonna be sick! Did you get the stack tube as well? 8.4 volts = 70.5 watts with a 1 oHm coil. That's right people 1 oHm coil, not .1. This things gonna blow my head off haha.

nah... i wanted to be able to pick it up without spending an hour a day in the gym.... i really am thinking of the silver tube ,just waiting til there is nothing else i want so I've got a project to work on... hope we both are satisfied with this one.. my new Big Nasty is gonna fill the gap til shipment...i almost have that thing putting out some righteous clouds.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
That's freaking awesome treehead, how much would you charge to make me one of those? And what topcap and switch would you use if you did?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

We have to be careful talking about purchases on the forums I found out ;), but I'll talk to you as soon as I'm done with all my recent projects. Thanks for the compliment! If you wanted to I could use whatever top cap and switch you send to me, but they have alot of replacements on ebay that are really nice, there's a chi-you "stealth cap" that has that awesome two-part adjustable connection, and their silver too :p.

Grrrr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2013
San Francisco via Manchester U.K.
We have to be careful talking about purchases on the forums I found out ;), but I'll talk to you as soon as I'm done with all my recent projects. Thanks for the compliment! If you wanted to I could use whatever top cap and switch you send to me, but they have alot of replacements on ebay that are really nice, there's a chi-you "stealth cap" that has that awesome two-part adjustable connection, and their silver too :p.

That's great, I'll await your PM or post here then. shame the pics have gone......Chi-you top cap would be fine, not sure about the air grooves would prefer totally flat, as for the switch I have no idea, if you have any suggestions let me know. Would be nice to have a decent switch as the tube deserves it.

How has it been performing for you?

hey guys I own a bfm by bcv and have recently rn unto an issue with it. maybe someone here can help. none of my atomizers will screw on securely. im thinking this might be a problem with the thread on the top cap. just wondering if anyone else had this issue with the bfm. also that fat top cap looks cool where can I get one?

Mindless

Jun 19, 2014
Germany
Unfortunately I can not view the pictures :(
Is there a way that I may see them as well ?
Searching for a mod like this but for 26650

edit: sorry for my too short explanation

I tried quite some devices in my 1,5 years of vaping history ...
and my latest "conquest" is to find a lightweight great performing quite short and beautiful 26650 mod.
I had the same idea as you had ... but unfortunately I do not have anybody around who could help me with that and then I searched the web and found your posting here ...

Therefore I was wondering if you would like to share the knowledge or perhaps if you could help me alter your design from 18650 to 26650 :) or just help me sharing knowledge about designing

Since I wanted to build that device that it could be used with the confun mod set for the kayfun it needs to have a 32,5mm diameter at least at the topcap ... but most 26650 pinoy mods I came across are 30mm in diameter
The germans seem to be fond of 32,5mm don't know why :(

Hope to hear from you !
And happy vaping :)

Forgive me my mistakes ... it is quite hard for me to talk about vaping in english since I am not a native speaker and I have to get used to all the terms

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread