Cutting a clearomizer's glass tank tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
Has anybody tried cutting a clearo's glass tube, to shorten it?

I'm looking at the mini Protank II, and it occurs to me that it would be rather simple to slash its length in half and create a 1 1/2" miniature clearo. Together with a mini eGo, that would create a 3 5/16" stealth vaping baby mod :)

Here's what I'm thinking of:

1/ Remove the drip tip (-3/4")
2/ Turn away the drip tip well (-3/16")
3/ Shorten the main tank (-1/2")

1/ and 2/ are easy.

3/ is easy too, in theory: it only involves extending the thread by 1/2" on the main post (the threading is semi-standard 5.5 x 0.5) and cutting off the excess thread, and of course shortening the tank's glass tube.

Only, I've never tried to cut a glass tube. I read about scoring it with a diamond file and splitting it, but I don't think it would work here, as the bit to cut off is short and I have so little leverage. So now I'm thinking of mounting it lightly in the lathe, turning it slowly and cutting it with a Dremel diamond cutter held stationary on the side.

Anybody knows if that'd work? Or am I just gonna ruin the tube?

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
Wow that's cute! Damn I need to try that.

But first, I'll order a 5.5 x 50 die from my local machining tools supplier. If I cut the tank now and I'm successful, I'll be really frustrated not to be able to do the threads and try the clearo today. So I'd better wait :)

EDIT: I couldn't wait to at least try the glass-cutting technique on an old beer bottle: it works great! Chucked the bottle on the lathe, scored the glass lightly all around (not even with a carbide tool, just an HSS cutter I had lying around), heated it up nice and good with a butane micro-torch, threw some water on it and hey presto! - instant clean cut.

Now I really can't wait to get the die...

Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread