Cylone vs Era vs RMx's

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
SInce I got skunked again on the Chalice sale I want to get a different rba. I like the Era, mainly for it's draw but I find it a pain to rebuild. I have a couple of RM2's but they are way too airy for me. Curious as to what the draw (undrilled out) on the Cyclone is like.

The Cyclone (without the AFC top) will fit on older anodized non-milled Grands. Right?

A kind fellow offered me one of his Chalice III's if he in-fact gets two. Will probably have the answer tomorrow.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Yes, the Cyclone with the standard cap will fit a standard Grand.

As far as the draw, I find the stock air hole somewhere akin to drinking a milkshake through a cocktail straw whereas on the RM2 it was like drinking tea through a cocktail straw. Those are just my impressions and may bear little to no resemblance to reality.

Good luck on the Chalice III, never had the pleasure but understand that the Chalice is an awesome vape.

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
Thanks for that info. Hmmm, if I go w/ a Cyclone I may have to drill it out a little. If I go too far maybe I can tame it back down w/ one of the Avid Air Flow Control tips. Maybe I should order one of those first and try it on my RM2's! I like how easy the RM2 is to rebuild and the ceramic deck. Just need them less airy.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I like how easy the RM2 is to rebuild and the ceramic deck. Just need them less airy.

Wow, you must like a really tight draw. We don't normally hear that the RM2 is too airy.

The cyclone is an excellent atty and about as tight as they come with the stock cap. You might also want to consider a RM3 from Rob. It's a great price and it's quite a tight draw as well. If you wanted to try your hand at dual coils, there's also a dual coil version of it.

If you manage to score that C III, though, you'll be more than sorted.

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
If you think the ERA is a pain to build, the cyclone isn't going to be any different. The deck size and post spacing are very close.

I also found the RM2 with stock air hole a bit too airy (for mouth to lung hits...I don't/can't do straight lung hits). I don't know why that it is because they are about the same size. I never warmed up to the RM2. I do like the IGOs that Rob sells. It's vape is comparable to the ERA/Hornet/Cyclone types, IMO.

I also like the draw on the stock ERA and the Cyclone but I did open it up just a smidge. I used a rat tail file and opened it in small increments until I found the perfect hole size rather than using a drill bit where there was no going back if it was too large.

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
Cool. Thanks. I might give the RM3 a try. I went ahead and ordered one of those ACT tips from Avid. Gave me a reason to upgrade my Kayfun. Do you find the RM3 to be prone to leaking juice. Like if you put it in a pants pocket and sit down? It looks like it might retain a little juice in the "well" from the pic on Rob's site. Hard to tell if there is a drain hole in the bottom of the well.

Vancouver huh. You ever get up to around Campbell River on the inside passage? I love that place. Used to take my kids salmon/halibut fishing and Orca watching there.

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
I also like the draw on the stock ERA and the Cyclone but I did open it up just a smidge. I used a rat tail file and opened it in small increments until I found the perfect hole size rather than using a drill bit where there was no going back if it was too large.

I have some mini files so I would do the same. My cordless drill and drill press won't hold small bits anyway. I'm not holding my breath on the Chalice III. The guy said he got a confirmation on the first one he ordered. But not on the second order. I have a little spark of hope though. I don't want to mention his name yet, as I don't want him to get inundated w/ requests.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Cool. Thanks. I might give the RM3 a try. I went ahead and ordered one of those ACT tips from Avid. Gave me a reason to upgrade my Kayfun. Do you find the RM3 to be prone to leaking juice. Like if you put it in a pants pocket and sit down? It looks like it might retain a little juice in the "well" from the pic on Rob's site. Hard to tell if there is a drain hole in the bottom of the well.

Vancouver huh. You ever get up to around Campbell River on the inside passage? I love that place. Used to take my kids salmon/halibut fishing and Orca watching there.

I find the RM3 to be pretty much leak proof. The tiny air holes in the dual version are resistant to it and I don't find the well is prone to collection (it drains just fine).

I know Campbell well. I used to work at a fishing lodge on Quadra Island in the summer while I was a student. Beautiful place when the weather is right and there's no better fishing in the straight. Many a happy memory about that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread