D.I.Y -VS- Premixed juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rnroutlaw

Jan 20, 2013
Norwalk, Ohio
Hello friends! Being that I'm new to e-cigs I have not tried but a handful of different juices. So far my favorite is the Dekang chocolate mint. But over the last couple days I have been researching on how to make my own e-juice. I have easily found where to purchase all of the supplies that I would need but my question is....Is it as easy as it seems? And does the juice really compare to any of the store bought pre-mixed offerings? Making your own sounds like alot of fun but I'd regret buying everything if I couldn't make a proper tasting liquid.

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La
There's no question that DIY is cheaper and that the juices are better because you tailor them to YOUR taste. Easy? yes AND no. DIY takes lots of time and attention to detail AND accurate labeling and record keeping.
Read all the stickies and spend lots of time reading DIY threads. Also, read Hoosier's Blog
E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
Yes, it's easy and a lot less expensive to mix your own juices, once you have good recipes that give the results you want and purchase the equipment you need. That's where it's not so easy. It may take a lot of trial and error to find a mix that you like, and in the beginning you'll end up with quite a few failures. That's time and money lost. But once you get it down you'll be set, unless you're the mad scientist type who wants to experiment with new recipes all the time.

I mix my all day vape 120 ml at a time (4 x 30 ml bottles), which allows me to vape for about 2 months. It costs a bit under $10 and it takes about 20 minutes to make.

BakuPeg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Gainesville, Ga
DIY is well worth it for me. I never found a vendor that I liked enough 100% of the time. Sure, every now and then I mix a mess and I have to destroy a batch but I've had far more sucesses than failures. Occasionally I make a mix and ask what was I thinking when I bought this flavor!.

I keep notes and I know exactly what I put in each bath. I have a mini catalouge of about 20 mixes and heck I just made 4 more this morning that look promicing. :vapor:
Just have to wait for my new Natures Flavors to come in to make them *excited*

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
Its the best :) Can be a little tricky at first but once you get a few batches under your belt and find the flavors and percentages that you like its awesome! I would recommend starting with some simple flavors and low flavor percentages and add more slowly.This is one of the most important tips I have learned on ECF :) P.S. Get a lot of bottles and dont be afraid to ask for help !

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
There's no question that DIY is cheaper and that the juices are better because you tailor them to YOUR taste. Easy? yes AND no. DIY takes lots of time and attention to detail AND accurate labeling and record keeping.
Read all the stickies and spend lots of time reading DIY threads. Also, read Hoosier's Blog
E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs
Forgot to add that reading the DIY threads is a must,I think I read for close to a month before I made my first order to make sure I had a basic idea of what to do and found that this really helped to make my mixing much easier :) Also remember that something that doesnt taste great at first might change and be terrific after anywhere from the next day to a week or longer after you mix it.I have a lot of batches that I can vape right away and some that need to steep before I like it.Good luck and let us know how it works out :toast:

nnote

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mesa
Once you diy you'll realize how little thought and effort (some) vendors put into their juices and how silly people are raving about those vendors juices..
Also when you make juice and it comes out transparent and sometimes with little color, you'll wonder what the heck some of these vendors are putting in their juices to come out opaque and super colored.
Totally worth it. Once and awhile i'll get some samples from vendors, and I still end up vaping mine while theirs sits in my vape box for untold time un-used.

Rnroutlaw

Jan 20, 2013
Norwalk, Ohio
Yes, Im planning on ordering a few dozen bottles as Im aware some of my first batches will be horrible or at least not enjoyable. I will be trying some of the members recipes at first just so I can get a feel of the mixing technique. Then I will venture off and experiment. I honestly can't wait to get started but I do need to read up a bit more.

Its the best :) Can be a little tricky at first but once you get a few batches under your belt and find the flavors and percentages that you like its awesome! I would recommend starting with some simple flavors and low flavor percentages and add more slowly.This is one of the most important tips I have learned on ECF :) P.S. Get a lot of bottles and dont be afraid to ask for help !

Rnroutlaw

Jan 20, 2013
Norwalk, Ohio
Once you diy you'll realize how little thought and effort (some) vendors put into their juices and how silly people are raving about those vendors juices..
Also when you make juice and it comes out transparent and sometimes with little color, you'll wonder what the heck some of these vendors are putting in their juices to come out opaque and super colored.
Totally worth it. Once and awhile i'll get some samples from vendors, and I still end up vaping mine while theirs sits in my vape box for untold time un-used.
Wow!! Thats what Im aiming for! To be able to enjoy my own DIY juice just as much if not better than any store bought liquids.

Rnroutlaw

Jan 20, 2013
Norwalk, Ohio
I have been mixing my own since day 1 because I don't like spending money. I'm also easy to please, my all day vape is a plain old peppermint using TFA peppermint. My wife is even easier, she likes unflavored nic juice cut down to 18 mg.
I am the same way, Im always looking for a way to save a buck. My wife calls me cheap ... lol! And Im not looking to mix up some exotic type juice. I just want to be able to make some simple fruity or sweet tasting batches that come close to the store bought liquids.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA

Well said and i could not agree more.

If you like simpler juices, DIY is for you. If you absolutely must have something like BWB's Casablanca though, you are spinning your wheels. Since I've done DIY, I often laugh at posters who rave about a juice vendor. You can get very similar results on your own by doing a bit of reading and using the breaktru calculator. There are a few juices however that I don't think I'll every duplicate, notably BWB's applewood tobacco and casablanca. Tribeca from halo is also in that category. Tobaccos are the hardest to mix though.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I am the same way, Im always looking for a way to save a buck. My wife calls me cheap ... lol! And Im not looking to mix up some exotic type juice. I just want to be able to make some simple fruity or sweet tasting batches that come close to the store bought liquids.

here's an example for you

i mix my wife a very simple peach juice

80/20 pg/vg at 12 mg strength

I can make her a 120 ml bottle for about 5 bucks

it's all she vapes

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
yeah i get my nic in 100mg strength in bulk ...i also buy both pg and vg in bulk...the rest is just flavoring...

if you have amazon prime membership, you can get pg and vg by the gallon for very reasonable pricing and the shipping is free

for nicotine and flavorings i normally use wizard labs but they are down right now

ecigexpress is a good vendor but with somewhat higher prices than WL

Rnroutlaw

Jan 20, 2013
Norwalk, Ohio
yeah i get my nic in 100mg strength in bulk ...i also buy both pg and vg in bulk...the rest is just flavoring...

if you have amazon prime membership, you can get pg and vg by the gallon for very reasonable pricing and the shipping is free

for nicotine and flavorings i normally use wizard labs but they are down right now

ecigexpress is a good vendor but with somewhat higher prices than WL
Yes, I have checked out Wizard Labs and I plan on buying from them once they get up. I am going to check the local stores for pg and vg. If no luck I will order those online as well. Thanks for the input :)

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Yes, I have checked out Wizard Labs and I plan on buying from them once they get up. I am going to check the local stores for pg and vg. If no luck I will order those online as well. Thanks for the input :)

hey one word of warning...make sure the pg and vg are usp grade ok?

PG is rarely available locally and when it is ...its normally sold by tractor stores for farming applications...i know there are some here who use it, but i wouldn't risk it...usp grade is cheap enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread