Dark Spots Showing Under battery Wrap VTC4 & VTC5's 18650

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubliquid

Apr 23, 2014
UK
Now that's one I haven't heard before B1sh0p.

9jk2h2.jpg

When I first saw this picture I thought the highlight in the red circle could be a puncture, but then I thought it must just be the way the light hit that area. This is definitely something to check for specially now that we know it has happened before.

thanks for pointing that out Ryedan, i did double check and i can't see any punctures. here's a pic after cleaning

2014-08-01 08.31.04.jpg

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Point taken. The wrapper itself could have fragments of 'stuff' that tolerate heat that it collects (center spot) and reflects to the outside of it (dark circle around center).

LOL. The only scientific explanation I got...any scientists around?

Yes, I'm leaning in the 'stuff' direction myself at this point.The battery casing looks good but there could still be some contamination in there. Cleaning the battery and re-covering it should get rid of the issue then. Time will tell.

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
Anyone figure out what it's from yet? I've been looking over the pics and IDK is that's arcing... I'm by no means an expert on batteries, but as a welder and mechanic, I've never seen an arch or spot weld that would leave the center clean. Even splatter from a weld burns more on the inside and gets lighter in color further from the center. As far as dark spots on metal from moisture (IE aluminum rims) The spots are never really from water or moisture.... these spots are from metal dust (steal rotor or bimetal linings) making contact with the rim while hot... they "weld on" and cause a chemical reaction. It could be venting.... did you notice any "gritty" residue around the spot, but NOT in the center of the spot? One thing I would suggest in solving this is to use only one batteries in each MOD. Know there not cheep, but you could you use only 1 MOD for a week or 2 with new batteries, if nothing happens, move to the next. If it is the MOD, this might be the only way to find out which one(s) are causing this. If it happens in all of them.... stick with 1 and repeat with all of your atty's. Sucks, but sometimes in the auto industry, the proses of elimination is the only way to figure out where the problem is :-/

dubliquid

Apr 23, 2014
UK
Anyone figure out what it's from yet? I've been looking over the pics and IDK is that's arcing... I'm by no means an expert on batteries, but as a welder and mechanic, I've never seen an arch or spot weld that would leave the center clean. Even splatter from a weld burns more on the inside and gets lighter in color further from the center. As far as dark spots on metal from moisture (IE aluminum rims) The spots are never really from water or moisture.... these spots are from metal dust (steal rotor or bimetal linings) making contact with the rim while hot... they "weld on" and cause a chemical reaction. It could be venting.... did you notice any "gritty" residue around the spot, but NOT in the center of the spot? One thing I would suggest in solving this is to use only one batteries in each MOD. Know there not cheep, but you could you use only 1 MOD for a week or 2 with new batteries, if nothing happens, move to the next. If it is the MOD, this might be the only way to find out which one(s) are causing this. If it happens in all of them.... stick with 1 and repeat with all of your atty's. Sucks, but sometimes in the auto industry, the proses of elimination is the only way to figure out where the problem is :-/

David, ty for the info mate appreciated.

I will try the one mod and one battery method to try identify which mod and battery is effected. Ryedan suggested this too..I have 2 clean batteries and i'm using only one with first mod, will stay with this for 1/2 weeks see how it goes, then move on to the next. i will of course keep you guys updated with any changes. i'll also keep note of atty used and ohms etc.

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
I know some metals will develop black discoloration when exposed to humidity.
Aluminum wheel with similar looking black spot coloration.

I'm thinking this sounds very plausible. It looks like it certainly could be corrosion, that would explain the matching stains on only the inside of the wrapper where they contact the battery. In the case of a burn from an arc, I would expect the wrapper discoloration to be more through-and-through. Battery wrappers aren't perfectly air-tight/liquid-tight, so perhaps atmospheric humidity could cause some moisture to get trapped underneath?

I'm no expert, of course, just my :2c:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The shells can have minor leaks in them and the battery's can vent through the wrap. I've had it happen on a vtc 3. I'd get rid of them.

Make sure the wraps don't have any cuts in them.

Did anybody read my post? I already told you guys what the spots are from. It's a lot more common than you think.

I Googled that for more info and got nothing. Do you have any links?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Scientific evidence that batteries can have small fissures in the shell that can cause minor venting? Bro, do you even science bro?

Do you have anything, even a thread on a forum, that talks about the process you describe as 'a lot more common than you think'?

I was hoping to learn something here. Right now I've got nothing that makes me believe you except your word on something I believe is not an issue for the problem described in this thread.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Scientific evidence that batteries can have small fissures in the shell that can cause minor venting? Bro, do you even science bro?
Never heard nor read of scientific evidence of "small fissures in the shell that can cause minor venting". Good God I hope none of my batteries have fissures and are venting without me knowing it. Ridiculous.

:rolleyes:
B1sh0p said:
Did anybody read my post?
Ever wonder why no one takes you seriously?

Last edited:

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
Do you have anything, even a thread on a forum, that talks about the process you describe as 'a lot more common than you think'?

I was hoping to learn something here. Right now I've got nothing that makes me believe you except your word on something I believe is not an issue for the problem described in this thread.

There are threads on Reddit and Candle Power about it. I can't find the threads, but I did some Googling when I ran into the same issue and that's what I read. I don't care if anyone believes me. I'm saying the discoloration and spotting is fairly common. The fact that it happens in flashlights leads me to believe that it isn't juice causing the discoloration. Believe what you want.
image.jpg

None of these batteries are still in my rotation, but I don't believe them to be "dangerous."

Batitude...why the ad hominem, homie? I haven't called you out for lying about battery's in months. Stop being so grumpy.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There are threads on Reddit and Candle Power about it. I can't find the threads...
Batitude...why the ad hominem, homie? I haven't called you out for lying about battery's in months. Stop being so grumpy.
As usual, you post something controversial as having some scientific evidence, and when asked to document it (and not just anocdotal here say) you can't back it up. I generally back my information up with links that readers can verify for themselves -- that's called authenticity.

I would have been fine with all that, but you had to "go there" and post, "Bro, do you even science bro?". That was a personal slam towards me and insulting, which you have admittedly done in the past to me. Hence , my return comment. Yeah I'm old and sometimes I'm grumpy. Your jealousy of me is getting annoying.

:offtopic: My appologies to ECF for going off topic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread