Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
The Darwin

Evolv, LLC

The Juiceman Cometh....and Very Well May Stayeth

Ah, the ever hastening pace of innovation in e-cigarettes. Just when you think everything has been done and no other improvements are possible, a modder unveils a new rig to the applause and drool of the vaping public.

I have delighted in my latest juicing mods, the aluminum Reos by Redeyedancer, for the few months. They're durable, all mechanical, dependable and stylish pieces of gear that can hold everything needed for up to a full day's worth of satisfying 3.7v vaping in one portable package. So, that's it, right? What other mountains are there left to climb? The only real fail point of my current mod is the off the shelf atomizer, which is known to be a replaceable part. There's really no room for improvement, is there?

It therefore really says something about a design that I'd be willing to put aside my favorite mod to take a look at it, and be willing to plunk my own cash on the table to try it out. I'll briefly examine the Darwin and give my initial impressions of it. In roughly four to six weeks, I'll give it an extended use review and compare it to the Reo Grand. And before you try to tell me that it's not fair to compare a non juicing mod to my favorite bottom feeder, don't. Life ain't fair. You don't like that, go run home and tell yer Momma.

The Darwin is all electronic, double anodized aluminum, 510 native, power regulated mod designed and made by Evolv, LLC and distributed by Nhaler for the price of $229.00. Electronics on the mod constantly measure the amount of resistance in whatever atty or carto is being used, and it delivers just the right amount of current to the atty from the mod's enclosed life-po batteries based upon a wattage setting selected by the user through a small thumbwheel. The result is a fresh off the charger feeling with EVERY hit of the activation button. Even if the atty you're using is changing in resistance from use and/or is nearing the end of its operational lifespan, the Darwin can compensate. Pretty effin' cool, huh? The Darwin, along with its variable voltage (vv) competitors, may be such a major step forward as to be considered it's own class of vapes, fourth generation mods. It comes with a two year warranty on the overall mod, and a one year warranty on the enclosed batteries. Evolv has stated they will offer a battery replacement service for a $25.00. For a far more through review and explanation of the science and technical aspects of this device, please see this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ressions-newest-pre-production-prototype.html

The darwin is roughly 5 inches long, 1 inch wide and ¾ inches thick. It contains a display on its front, a brass swivel 510 swivel connection, adjudgment dial and activation on its side and a mini usb connection port on its bottom. It's smaller than it looks on the pictures that have been previously posted on the forum. Incredibly solid feeling, it almost feels like you could drive nails with it.

The display on the Darwin shows the battery charge status anduser's watts selection in an easy to read display, along with atty resistance and voltage while hitting the vape button. If they vaped in the 24th century, I would fully expect to see Jean Luc Picard pulling this sucker out of a desk drawer in his ready room.* The selection dial and vape button are in two finger sized indents making them easy to find by touch. And the selection dial has a soft stop at 8.5 watts, halfway in its range, making it easy to adjust without looking.

The sheer versatility of this mod should make it a must have, if for nothing else as a backup or end of vaping days apocalypse vape. One of the things I loved about the Golden Greek Telescopic Storm was it's vaunted ability to use (I hate to quote myself, but here goes...) “any atty and every batty”. In other words, I could use any variation of single or double stacked tubular batteries in conjunction with every common atty or carto known to mankind. I could go to vapng a LR510 at 3.7 volts to a KR808 at the magic 6 volts or a UHV 801 with a battery change slash twist of the tube slash adapter change within two minutes. The process is simpler on the Darwin, since there's no batteries to change or tubes to twist. Simply put on the right adapter, turn the flywheel, and that's it. Fifteen seconds, suckas! The only quibble I have about this mod is the brass used in the swivel atty selection. It felt that my attys and especially adapters, could easily cross thread if I didn't take particular care when attaching them. It does have a warranty, but I'd hate to cross thread and possibly strip the threads on the connection.

And unlike 6v on the GGTS using CR123a's, the batteries on the Darwin provides all day power with no need to carry spare batteries and/or a charger. This makes the Darwin compulsory for HV fanatics. With the Darwin's long lasting enclosed batteries and included mini-USB charging cord, spare batteries or chargers aren't needed, period. I had all but turned my back on HV vaping due to the short battery life and my propensity to quickly kill attys doing it. For the first time ever, I have a HV mod that I feel confident about taking out alone into the real world. The Darwin arrived partially charged, and I was able to use it heavily all day without charging it once.

The question begs to be asked what, if any, advantage the Darwin holds for 3.7v vapers. After all, doesn't a good quality 18650 battery have like, what, a gagillion milliamp hours and last you all month? That depends. Some reg voltage vapers like me love the performance of a mod with a battery fresh off of the charger. That's because the battery is initially at 4.2 volts, and eventually goes back down to 3.7 for the duration of its charge. For those folks, the Darwin offers you a 'fresh' feeling all day.** The sensors on the Darwin which measure the atty resistance and compensates accordingly gives your atty a longer 'fresh' feeling as well. One of the things that I'm going to try in the coming days is to see if it can overcome the tendency of the Cisco 1.5 ohm attys to burn subtler juices by turning the wattage down just a smidge. Or see if I can give my 2 ohm ones just a bit more 'oomph' by goosing it up a hair.

Come to think of it, I have a whole slew of vaping supplies, a collection of attys and cartos, that I'm dying to use on this sucker. Today I'm going to hand my other mods over to a 3rd party for safekeeping for the next month or so in order to wholly commit myself to the Darwin.***

Again, this simply my first impressions of this innovative mod. I'll keep reporting back as I continue to use it, and report what I find both good and bad. Mods are like girlfriends, you have to live with them for at least a month before you really get to know them. Thanks for reading, and I'd welcome your feedback.

*I'm trying to remember if they actually had desk drawers on that show. Come to think of it, did they even have desks OR drawers? And why was he always tugging at his shirt?

**Mom? Yes, dear? Sometimes my mod doesn't feel so fresh...

***Sort of like a general of an invasion force in the days of old burning his boats at the shore to prevent the possibility of a retreat after he had landed his men.

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Thanks. I'm still only starting to play with this, but so far I'm supremely impressed. The part that made me giggle while writing it was the feminine hygiene parody at the end. It's a bit early, but I'm starting to suspect that distinctions we've all lived with, such as 'high voltage', 'low resistance' and the like have just disappeared. Gasp!

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
After briefly trying a couple of different setups on the Darwin, I began to put the Frankenatty on it for more extended use.

The Frankenatty is a Eastmall LR510 atty that never seemed to perform properly on my juice fed mods despite everything that I've done to it. Multiple cleanings, removing the bridge and wick, widening the air intake holes on the threads....it would fire, but not adequately vape. It would never die, but never truly live, either. At 3.7v, it had a wimpy vape and would easily flood. At 6v, it tended to scorch juice and quickly drain CR123a's.

And if you're wondering why I chose a malfunctioning $5 atty to inaugurate my $230 vape, it's because I wanted to see what the Darwin could do with my worst atty rather than my best one.

On the Darwin, it's no longer a zombie, but more of an olympic athlete. Perfect hit every time. Clouds of vape at every setting of 8.5w and above. No scorching of juice.

I'd like to say that it has a sweet spot of 10.7w for most juices, but it's not quite that simple. In my analog days, I noticed that I smoked differently depending on my mood. I mostly took short puffs, but would take long, slow drags if I was stressed or upset. I'm catching myself doing the same thing with the Darwin. 10.7w is the setting for puffing, but 8.5 is good for long, slow drags. Same goes for tobacco flavors, like cigar or C&D, as opposed to the sweet stuff. Fascinating.

And unless I'm driving, the whole having to drip thing is not the major impediment that it seemed to be on other mods. Four or five good puffs, pull the DT, drop-drop, good to go. The combo is pretty good at letting you know when it's time to rejuice by a dry taste without the concern of possibly killing the atty. This is pretty high praise coming from a juicer. I'll switch to a different setup tomorrow; if I don't report back, you may rest assured that Frankenatty has survived another day.

Sewknitty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2010
NY
shesaquitter.wordpress.com

Come to think of it, I have a whole slew of vaping supplies, a collection of attys and cartos, that I'm dying to use on this sucker. Today I'm going to hand my other mods over to a 3rd party for safekeeping for the next month or so in order to wholly commit myself to the Darwin.***

Thanks for this first impression of a real, live production model Darwin, Clyde!

I took myself off Nhaler's list because I'd have to catch a MAP tank and lay in more clearomizers, fluxomizers and smart carts than I want to keep track of. I know...now that I've read your review I think that was a wimpy reason too! :facepalm:

Do you miss squonking at all? If the Darwin stays ahead of the PV curve I'm pretty sure its developers can and will come out with one bodacious feeder system. I hope they hurry!

Enjoy, Clyde! Can't wait for that update! :vapor:

Throat hit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2011
south warwickshire UK
Nice one on the review, I contacted drew as you said and am waiting till the uk gets a supplier. It takes a lot of the messing around and kit buying out of the game and promises to be a consistant vape. looking forward to your follow ups and one day getting my own to vape. Life is not fair I can't afford the air fair to get one of those babys and I,m off to cry to mommy about it right now..

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Nice one on the review, I contacted drew as you said and am waiting till the uk gets a supplier. It takes a lot of the messing around and kit buying out of the game and promises to be a consistant vape. looking forward to your follow ups and one day getting my own to vape. Life is not fair I can't afford the air fair to get one of those babys and I,m off to cry to mommy about it right now..

Don't you mean 'mummy'? Kidding. Thanks for the kind words, all.

I've had a sinus headache lay me out for half the day, too bad to even vape. Anyone know of a good peppermint flavor available in a brick and mortar store that I can add to my unflavored VG?

mamacat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2009
WS, NC, USA
Haha. I am sorry. You need to find some Top Care Nasal Decongestant. B... E... S... T.... stuff evah for sinus clogs, especially in your face. It is kind of hard to find though. Way better than Tylenol sinus, sudafed, etc. imho. And daily use of a Neti Pot during peak sinus issue times (i.e., Spring with all the pollen). I feel your pain - trust me. :( They wanted to operate on my sinuses and I told them nuh-uh. kthxbai lol I found this Top Care stuff and just take it during the peak times. Haven't (*knock on wood*) had a sinus infection requiring antibiotics since.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!!! :)

What do you think about screen burn on the Darwin?

mamacat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2009
WS, NC, USA
Shouldn't be an issue, as the screen isn't constantly on.

Mine has been since I got it. Except for while I slept last night. As a matter of fact, my Darwin came with the screen active. I didn't even realize you could turn it off until I asked someone. So, if you put arm down and you are a dripper, juice runs out the end. So, it is a bit of an issue for those of us who drip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread