Darwin...Is it really different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
The Darwin seems like it may be a great device, but am I the only one who would be hesitant to buy from a new company that seems to have taken an usual amount of time to simply get a under construction website up and running, and who seems to be unable to get registered on this board to address the multitude of questions that have been asked about this device?

jimho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
New York
The Darwin seems like it may be a great device, but am I the only one who would be hesitant to buy from a new company that seems to have taken an usual amount of time to simply get a under construction website up and running, and who seems to be unable to get registered on this board to address the multitude of questions that have been asked about this device?

no- i assure you - you are not alone.
Can I get an order of shrip tacos to go?

jimho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
New York

Thanks for taking the time to write this up Lou-

Lots of great differentiating features - especially the display info.

I have some technical questions/concerns regarding part of your write up - particularly with your observation of its ability to lower the power automatically to compensate for the accumulated heat of the atty....

Unless there is some thermal coupling inside the atty (and we know there isn't), I assure you that is not happening by maintaining power constant.Doing so would have a reverse effect from what you observed.

The temperature of Nichrome wire is a function of current-
I don't expect you to go digging, but most nichrome wire suppliers provide a temperature vs current table...

As previously mentioned Nichrome resistance INCREASES a the temperature increases - if left alone, the increase in resistance results in a decrease in current ... which would result in the coil running proportinally cooler to the current (or V/R) ...

Maintaining the power constant, as the resistance increases , the voltage would increase, and the atty would get even hotter.

Not challenging what you observed, but the explaination lies somewhere else. Again, we need the participation and data from evolve (or someone's lab) to understand what it is doing-

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Thanks for your input Jimho. I know you ARE an EE and I certainly am not. Your details are way beyond my ability to monitor or even discuss. I can only tell you what I see on the screen and taste in the vapor. The voltage levels do change during a hit. I have not taken note to see how much they fluctuate, how often, etc. I guess this falls under the auspices of "power management" rather than constant even power - but I truly do not know (my background is in Urban and Regional Planning).

Frankly, I don't take long enough hits and this prototype requires the atty in full up position to vape (not final on/off switch in folding connector). So, to give you the numbers from the screen (actual V & A changes and how frequently - which I would suspect might vary depending upon atty model and resistance and possibly even juice quantity and viscosity) would require me to stand in front of a mirror and count them out over my typical 3 second hit. 302s are pretty airy so hard to take longer hits.

So, all I can respond is that I do see the numbers changing and feel & taste the consistency of the vapor (as compared to all of my other devices).

I simply like the device and the vapor. It IS different in form and function. Some will like it while others may not - I do.

Thanks again Jimho. :toast:

To others: any who think it may not be for you, I respect your choices - vaping is subjective all the way around from juices to attys/cartos/tanks to devices. However, those hate posting about something they have not seen or tried certainly does not impress anyone.

jimho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
New York
Thanks for your input Jimho. I know you ARE an EE and I certainly am not. Your details are way beyond my ability to monitor or even discuss. I can only tell you what I see on the screen and taste in the vapor. The voltage levels do change during a hit. I have not taken note to see how much they fluctuate, how often, etc. I guess this falls under the auspices of "power management" rather than constant even power - but I truly do not know (my background is in Urban and Regional Planning).

Frankly, I don't take long enough hits and this prototype requires the atty in full up position to vape (not final on/off switch in folding connector). So, to give you the numbers from the screen (actual V & A changes and how frequently - which I would suspect might vary depending upon atty model and resistance and possibly even juice quantity and viscosity) would require me to stand in front of a mirror and count them out over my typical 3 second hit. 302s are pretty airy so hard to take longer hits.

So, all I can respond is that I do see the numbers changing and feel & taste the consistency of the vapor (as compared to all of my other devices).

I simply like the device and the vapor. It IS different in form and function. Some will like it while others may not - I do.

Thanks again Jimho. :toast:

To others: any who think it may not be for you, I respect your choices - vaping is subjective all the way around from juices to attys/cartos/tanks to devices. However, those hate posting about something they have not seen or tried certainly does not impress anyone.

Appreciate it- and i appreciate the perspective of your write up....
Hopefully you didn't take it as a slam .
I suppose after initially being attracted to this device based on it's technical claims, there are some things I feel are still not adding up...
That said, saying "I simply like the device and the vapor." is the most important thing..... it's your $229.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Appreciate it- and i appreciate the perspective of your write up....
Hopefully you didn't take it as a slam .
I suppose after initially being attracted to this device based on it's technical claims, there are some things I feel are still not adding up...
That said, saying "I simply like the device and the vapor." is the most important thing..... it's your $229.
I imagine the technical discussions will not likely stop with my post. I'm just not the person to answer the technical "power management" questions. Like most of the other non-engineers - I'm just a vapor who like to vape.

That said, I am a bit of a device junky. I am able to enjoy various devices and when some stand out (to me), I enjoy sharing my perspective with everyone who may (or may not) be interested/curious.

Most importantly, I want to see ecigs and vaping continue to improve. I support ALL new directions as they ALL contribute to our vaping enjoyment, further improvements in future devices (across the board) and HELP GET MORE AND MORE PEOPLE OFF ANALOGS!!! :toast:

Last edited:

benjayman2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Chicago, IL
I imagine the technical discussions will not likely stop with my post. I'm just not the person to answer the technical "power management" questions. Like most of the other non-engineers - I'm just a vapor who like to vape.

That said, I am a bit of a device junky. I am able to enjoy various devices and when some stand out (to me), I enjoy sharing my perspective with everyone who may (or may not) be interested/curious.

Most importantly, I want to see ecigs and vaping continue to improve. I support ALL new directions as they ALL contribute to our vaping enjoyment, further improvements in future devices (across the board) and HELP GET MORE AND MORE PEOPLE OFF ANALOGS!!! :toast:

Hear, hear. I love innovation and the people who have the "know-how" to advance the vaping movement.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
But you did get this one free.
Not sure who you are posting to but if you are referring to my post (different thread) - as I posted, I was not charged to use the prototype I have but I did commit to purchase a full production unit before posting.

Although, frankly, I do not see how it makes any difference. I have only posted on now 4 of over 20 devices (all purchased). There are now at least 5 different people posting about Darwin prototypes. Many devices see their first posts from people using pre-production prototypes. The device will be available for sale within a week. At least some of those who get them will likely post in one of the various threads or post their own threads. Others will post videos. So there will be plenty of opportunity to evaluate if this is something for you or not.

Last edited:

Drumonron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009

Nice review there NebulaBrot....appreciate your thoroughness...any word on when this product is rolling out to the masses? I signed up to be notified upon release....looks like a great PV!

Does anyone know of a release date....I was checking through and saw that a vendor was pumping up a November 2010 release date but then they decided for one or another reason not to sell it.??

I'm sure evolvapor will respond and let me know of the release date though....not much else on ECF about it strangely.

Last edited:

IndustrialAction

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
Northern VA
Nice review there NebulaBrot....appreciate your thoroughness...any word on when this product is rolling out to the masses? I signed up to be notified upon release....looks like a great PV!

Does anyone know of a release date....I was checking through and saw that a vendor was pumping up a November 2010 release date but then they decided for one or another reason not to sell it.??

I'm sure evolvapor will respond and let me know of the release date though....not much else on ECF about it strangely.

nHaler will be selling it in the next few days (weeks?)

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
Just one question, how in the heck did you vape at 12 WATTS?! 8.4 is the hottest I go, and even that's gives me a super hot vape and a bit of flavor loss.

Usually using LR306 and 510s. Thinking about adding some HV atomizers.

Different people have different preferences. Personally I vape 13 watts. 2.5ohm atty at 5.7v. Nice hot, full vapor...Yummy Goodness!

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
I just tried it for a giggle, and it damn near burnt my face! I think the difference must be that you're running atomizers with almost 1ohm more resistance... I'd love to figure out how to vape at higher wattage without that effect I find I prefer a slightly warm vape, but flavor is the most important.

2.5ohm atty at 5.7v. = 12.99watts. Yummy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread