Dave Letterman VAPES !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmbrown327

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
RI
I wonder if one of the geniuses at the FDA will see this as a golden opportunity to 'make a statement' and do something radical, like seize her equipment and cite them (her and Letterman) for some supposed breach of something. The backlash from that kind of stupidity could, in one fell swoop, tip the balance to our favor. Or not.

maclean

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2010
italy
If they are vaping it will cause another this cant be good for you if the stars are using them. Its sending the wrong signal to the youth

Yeah, and who do you think the general public will follow? The FDA or the movie stars? We live (unfortunately) in a celebrity culture, so I reckon a few actors will have more impact than the dire warnings of the FDA - especially if they still can't find any facts to back them up - lol. In fact, I'm willing to bet that a lot of us started smoking after seeing how cool Bogart & Co looked doing it in the movies.

I found another interesting vid on You Tube (linked from the Letterman one). It's a sort of fake news report (sponsored by SafePuff, apparently), but it actually gives a good rep to the e-cig. They even have a 5 second clip of a medical man (guy in a white coat) saying they're safer than cigs. More impressively, it's had 26,000+ views.

YouTube - News Report - Safe Electronic Cigarette

mac

timmah34233

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
Florida
Should our reaction to the Heigl/Letterman endorsement be stronger? Maybe the stealth celebrity mooting of a multi-trillion dollar unprecedented human health debacle is a distortion. Really?

Chantix is a major failure. All NRTs are failures. The e-cig technology was a no-brainer during the congressional hearings in the 90s yet arrived to market - from China - really? - ten years later in the early naughts.

The CDC reported 46 million American smokers in 2008. There was not one mention of the the electronic cigarette.

Is it better that the e-cig emergence remain out of mainstream radar range? It's been almost fifty years since health authorities began taking action against smoking. The integrated circuit in the e-cig batt wasn't developed for another generation. Could another system have been developed?

I cheered when I saw Katherine haul out her SmokeStick - fantastic! Then Dave takes a few hits - that's what I'm talking about! Leo, Katherine, and others ought to use their clout to get a documentary made on the history of tobacco up through the e-cig.

JohnReagan

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Florida
Brilliant find! I think this is one of the coolest things I've seen this year. People who've held back buying an e-cig and are still smoking analogs can be swayed by seeing their favorite celebrities do it. Add to that the enormous exposure of David Letterman - and he's making it look pretty darn cool - e-cigs will be picked up by more and more people. Once they start vaping, that's even more power in numbers against any ridiculous attempts to ban them. I believe it can only be a good thing. This is massive exposure for PVs.

JohnReagan

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Florida
Yeah, and who do you think the general public will follow? The FDA or the movie stars? We live (unfortunately) in a celebrity culture, so I reckon a few actors will have more impact than the dire warnings of the FDA - especially if they still can't find any facts to back them up - lol. In fact, I'm willing to bet that a lot of us started smoking after seeing how cool Bogart & Co looked doing it in the movies.

Hell yes! I still think this can only be good for us.

hiram13pm

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Merced, CA
I just noticed something.... I downloaded a torrent of the entire episode... there's a lot more there. After a break, she's talking about riding her horse and having it "go nuts" on her... Dave picks up an ecig and says, "maybe you should get him on one of THESE", followed by obligatory laughter from the audience. Did anyone else catch it?

That it wasn't the same one that she had been holding? Looked like a supermini, tan cart with white batt (hers was black w/silver batt). Either she gave it to him, or Dave's already a vaper. At the end of the segment, he announces his next guest, and as they fade out, he PICKS IT UP off the desk! Now, what happened after that is anybody's guess... but I'm thinking she just converted him.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
I just noticed something.... I downloaded a torrent of the entire episode... there's a lot more there. After a break, she's talking about riding her horse and having it "go nuts" on her... Dave picks up an ecig and says, "maybe you should get him on one of THESE", followed by obligatory laughter from the audience. Did anyone else catch it?

That it wasn't the same one that she had been holding? Looked like a supermini, tan cart with white batt (hers was black w/silver batt). Either she gave it to him, or Dave's already a vaper. At the end of the segment, he announces his next guest, and as they fade out, he PICKS IT UP off the desk! Now, what happened after that is anybody's guess... but I'm thinking she just converted him.

I've got it recorded but will have to look tomorrow. Nice find hiram!

timmah34233

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
Florida
0ne 30 second spot with a vaping celebrity does more to raise e-cig awareness, and creates more publicity, than 30 positive research studies could ever do. This video was a big plus. The more powerful and influential vapers there are, the better off we'll be.

Exactly! When Obama started his office, his struggle with smoking was in the media - not anymore. What if he had switched to the e-cig and been visible about it?

Be skeptical about me, for one, but I was in the process of bringing an invention similar to the e-cig to market around 2002 at the time Hon Lik was working on his in China. The money lenders wouldn't fund me. There ya go, Sparky!

Power & influence? Try to get a loan to start a business! I believe what 10,000 active posters at the E-Cig Forum fail to realize is that the e-cig is a metaphor, a canary in a coal mine, a bell weather, and so forth. Sit back, take a hit, meditate, you can do it. This is a voice from beyond the grave. When you're ready, ask.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I believe what 10,000 active posters at the E-Cig Forum fail to realize is that the e-cig is a metaphor, a canary in a coal mine, a bell weather, and so forth. Sit back, take a hit, meditate, you can do it. This is a voice from beyond the grave. When you're ready, ask.
Hmmmmmm...

So the e-cig is a an example of something else completely different?
It is an early warning signal of a coming crisis?
A sign of things to come?

And Timmah? Timmah is dead?

Okay, you got me, I'm ready, and I'm asking.
:)

timmah34233

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
Florida
Hmmmmmm...

So the e-cig is a an example of something else completely different?
It is an early warning signal of a coming crisis?
A sign of things to come?

And Timmah? Timmah is dead?

Okay, you got me, I'm ready, and I'm asking.
:)

Good. Thanks, DC2. Here goes...

A technological solution to a long challenging problem is met with apathy, nonchalance or responses that are less than what the circumstances deserve. I believe the subject is worthy of some solid high-profile hard-hitting journalism to force the mainstream to pay attention to the concepts and principles.

Much of what we moderns know is a result of energy technologies that must change to systems the establishment are likely to resist as it has with the story of tobacco up through the advent of the electronic cigarette today. There is a better way to operate that would bring peace however it would embarrass the powerful.

Being rejected and unsuccessful weakens the resolve. Angela's ashes, I joke that I was stillborn but why? Raised Irish-Catholic and having reluctantly given up on all that, I'm still haunted by the words of the man so many people believe couldn't be killed.

Sharing and caring are an attitude of love. Where's the clause in capitalist free-market dealings that requires love?

But I believe it was the mention of over 10,000 active posters that got your attention, DC2, and not my zombie status. Having to post these marginal thoughts in the common vernacular outside my native Timmah has been a serious challenge.

eeeLibNLau Timmah!

:blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread