Status
Not open for further replies.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
Thank you Kristin. There is no doubt e-cigs will fall under some type of regulation. It's much better to be regulated as a tobacco product then a drug for obvious reasons. When (if) e-cigs are officially categorized as a tobacco product the question remains as to what those regulations will be, but if anyone thinks the situation can continue as is they're living in a fantasy world.

My question is how fast can they move to regulate it? Could we theoretically wake up tomorrow and all eliquid be under whatever regs the FDA decides to put them under? Or, would it take longer to accomplish?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
This is Ok ruling for vapers in general. However, one stunningly bad thing that does come from it is that we now are just classified as tobacco users again(with all the restrictions and social shunning that comes with it). We will now never be able to say that vaping is or may be safer than smoking. There will never be any rigorous testing done, so we will never actually know if , in fact, vaping is safer(all anectdotal evidence and assumptions aside). Flavors are out the window. Indoor banning restrictions back. Taxes are definitely in. And now Big Tobacco is free to take over the entire industry as it is now in their purview.

When I started vaping back in June 2009, this is exactly what we did not want.

Well at least we know now who was the "evil mastermind" behind all of this(of the 3 possible conspirators - FDA, Big Tobacco, and Big Pharma). Congratulations, it was Big Tobacco..... Oh, and also, congratulations to Matt Salmon(who was AWOL and in hiding there for a bit - we now know the whole time he was dumping ECA, he was actually positioning himself as CEO of NJOY- What a guy!!!!!!)

And congratulations to all vapers. We are now back to being, legally and officially "smokers"

What a victory?!?!?! I know this was not what I wanted back when I started vaping.

This ^^^ is so much horse crap. There is no evidence that Big Tobacco had any part in this at all. They are investing millions in snus type products. It was Big Pharm that had the most to lose and funds most of the anti groups that came out against PV's. It was Big Pharm that was the largest contributor to Senator Lautenberg's campaign and who requested a ban early last year. It was Big Pharm's Trade Association that published a news letter calling for a ban of PV's. It is Big Pharm where many upper management FDA personnel go to work for after leaving the FDA.

We know the original judge in the case that ruled in favor of SE and NJOY was appointed by the previous administration. Anyone know who appointed the Appeal's Court judges?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
There is a huge difference to smoking and using "tobacco products." People who use smokeless, "spitless" tobacco products have not found themselves to be "right back with the smokers." The fact that e-cigarettes can be considered a tobacco products doesn't make them any more "smoking" and us "smokers" than using a tobacco Orb or snus does.

We must continue to fight for the government to recognize the vast difference in health risks associated with smoked vs. smokeless tobacco products - in regard not only public use, but to tax rates ("sin" tax vs. regular sales tax) and discriminatory actions such as higher insurance policies and refusal of employment. Smokeless nicotine users should be no more "punished" than caffeine users are, because the health risks are too similar.

Once they are officially tobacco products, we will start to see an increase in indoor air studies in response to challenging inclusion in the indoor smoking bans or trying to support them. These studies will have to show that the "second hand" vapor is safe (or not) and that will answer a lot of questions for vapers as to the safety of using e-cigarettes as well.

Your comments are "on target" as always, kristin. Excellent points.

psl_shawn

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
Florida
This ^^^ is so much horse crap. There is no evidence that Big Tobacco had any part in this at all. They are investing millions in snus type products. It was Big Pharm that had the most to lose and funds most of the anti groups that came out against PV's. It was Big Pharm that was the largest contributor to Senator Lautenberg's campaign and who requested a ban early last year. It was Big Pharm's Trade Association that published a news letter calling for a ban of PV's. It is Big Pharm where many upper management FDA personnel go to work for after leaving the FDA.

We know the original judge in the case that ruled in favor of SE and NJOY was appointed by the previous administration. Anyone know who appointed the Appeal's Court judges?

i agree 100% the whole act of getting labeld a drug is for big pharmacy , you label it a drug then let the pharmasutical companys distribute it and walla all of a sudden you see reports on how wonderfull it is and they make millions on prescriptions and their own delivery devices.

BUT , it is reported 20-30k people per week are trying e-cigs it will not be long before big tobacco starts putting money in the fight too.

iamjn

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2010
West Michigan
Everyone who has been paying attention in the community has known for quite some time that we will be classified as either drug delivery or tobacco. Keeping in mind that this is just the appeal, and not a full win, I'm happy with the outcome. If it goes the drug delivery route, and the vendors continue to sell without following whatever regulations that would have meant, you will see most vendors go out of business or selling illegally. And while I am a 100% believer in e-cigs, I will not go to jail, take a quarter million dollar fine or be classified as a drug dealer for the cause.

So, for now, let's all enjoy this small victory. Tomorrow we can continue the main battle. Tonight, we celebrate!

This is Ok ruling for vapers in general. However, one stunningly bad thing that does come from it is that we now are just classified as tobacco users again(with all the restrictions and social shunning that comes with it). We will now never be able to say that vaping is or may be safer than smoking. There will never be any rigorous testing done, so we will never actually know if , in fact, vaping is safer(all anectdotal evidence and assumptions aside). Flavors are out the window. Indoor banning restrictions back. Taxes are definitely in. And now Big Tobacco is free to take over the entire industry as it is now in their purview.

When I started vaping back in June 2009, this is exactly what we did not want.

Well at least we know now who was the "evil mastermind" behind all of this(of the 3 possible conspirators - FDA, Big Tobacco, and Big Pharma). Congratulations, it was Big Tobacco..... Oh, and also, congratulations to Matt Salmon(who was AWOL and in hiding there for a bit - we now know the whole time he was dumping ECA, he was actually positioning himself as CEO of NJOY- What a guy!!!!!!)

And congratulations to all vapers. We are now back to being, legally and officially "smokers"

What a victory?!?!?! I know this was not what I wanted back when I started vaping.

Willriker

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
CT, USA
Anyone care to help me decipher what the appellate judge meant by the underlined portion this paragraph? Sounds like an insult but it must have went over my head... why cant these guys write in a way that people can understand...

"In the absence of an authoritative agency interpretation, I
conclude that, unless a product derived from tobacco is marketed
for therapeutic purposes, the FDA may regulate it only under the
provisions of the Tobacco Control Act. Accordingly, because
NJOY’s electronic cigarettes are derived from tobacco, I join my
colleagues’ disposition. What the result would be were the FDA
to offer a contrary statutory interpretation in the form of a
regulation, I leave for the day the agency decides to take that
step.
"

~last paragraph of the appellate courts opinion

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Anyone care to help me decipher what the appellate judge meant by the underlined portion this paragraph? Sounds like an insult but it must have went over my head... why cant these guys write in a way that people can understand...

"In the absence of an authoritative agency interpretation, I
conclude that, unless a product derived from tobacco is marketed
for therapeutic purposes, the FDA may regulate it only under the
provisions of the Tobacco Control Act. Accordingly, because
NJOY’s electronic cigarettes are derived from tobacco, I join my
colleagues’ disposition. What the result would be were the FDA
to offer a contrary statutory interpretation in the form of a
regulation, I leave for the day the agency decides to take that
step.
"

~last paragraph of the appellate courts opinion

Just what I had referenced before about a third(non-drug, non-tobacco) scheme - (i.e. non therapuetic, non combustible, recreational nicotine delivery device). This will not ever happen. There are no rigorous, scientific safety studies out there to justify it.

D103

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
cedar rapids, iowa
Very well stated Kristin! The only 'fantasy' here is the idea that e-cigs could have ever been considered/classified in a separate category from either drug/device or tobacco product - had that tactic been pursued the fight would have remained, although the specific arguments would have varied, the oppposition would have been just as strong, if not more so (because a separate category would have entailed far less of an available regulatory scheme) and the battle would have inevitably ended up in the courts as well, however, with this course we would have had very little and weak legal precedent to support our case.
This is a very good victory! Of concern was Justice Garland's opinion which, in many ways I feel helped to outline the "next step" available to the FDA - that being, to go after regulating products containing nicotine (other than naturally-occuring like in the various food products) and have those products placed under FDCA jurisdiction. We fight on.....but today we Celebrate!
Congratulations to everyone involved, at whatever level.....and I again want to say a big Thank You, Excellent Job to the attorneys for Sottera.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
The only 'fantasy' here is the idea that e-cigs could have ever been considered/classified in a separate category from either drug/device or tobacco product -

I'm still trying to understand how this is such a fantasy. It certainly wouldn't have been the first time that new , totally novel product, created the necessity for a different regulatory scheme. The main problem here(and it's been mentioned a zillion times since I started on this forum) is that way the product was originally stealth marketed in the USA(via mall kiosks and internet) while, at the same time, making unsubstantiated safety/health claims. This is what set up this whole situation. A properly focused marketing introduction(one that included the appropriate bureaucratic entities from it's inception) could have easily led to this.

I'm also not sure what your fighting on against. Ecigs/eliquid will be regulated as tobacco products under the FSPTC Act as the FDA now sees fit. If you're suggesting fighting against THIS regulation and hope that ecigs remain totally unregulated(as they have been for the last 3 years); now that's a fantasy.

NJOY got what it wanted. They've already changed their business model to comply with, at least what they believe, to be the proper FSPTC Act regulatory structure(which is nothing like the incarnation of the rest of the industry). NJoy won, the rest of us lost.

Our House

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2009
NJ, USA
The main problem here(and it's been mentioned a zillion times since I started on this forum) is that way the product was originally stealth marketed in the USA(via mall kiosks and internet) while, at the same time, making unsubstantiated safety/health claims.
Not to pick on you again (since I just did in the other thread), but this is patently wrong. NJOY has been on the shelves in retail stores since long before the lawsuit. Nobody's hiding the products. It's just that a lot of major retailers were not willing to carry it. That may change now.

Also, "the product" did not make unsubstantiated safety/health claims, some suppliers did. Those who didn't make such claims need not be subjected to your blanket statement. You sound just like the antis we're constantly fighting against.

trying

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
usa
Compared to the current "zero " regulation of E-cigarettes, even regulation as a tobacco product will be extreme.
Manufacturers of E-cigarettes that are defective and their are many of those, will face penalties.
Taxes
Limited or zero flavors
Much lower nicotine levels.
Even the possibility of some locations enforcing a general tobacco ban, which would now include E-cigarettes.
( I believe there are already such bans in some places ? )

D103

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
cedar rapids, iowa
markarich, I agree with you that had the e-cig "initially" been marketed differently in the U.S. - from the very beginning, then maybe a different classification could have been pursued(although I don't agree with your assertion it would have been achieved easily). I also agree with you that in the bigger picture this would have been far, far better - for vaporers and the industry as a whole if we'd succeeded along those lines, but given that it came to the U.S. via the route you accurately describe, I feel (only my opinion) that this was the only viable option left to us. Had we pursued a separate classification I believe it would have only strengthened the FDA, ALA, AHA, ACS et al postition that it fall under the classification of a drug delivery device-especially given that nicotine is addictive. Re: "fighting on..." I certainly have never held the belief, nor the desire, that e-cigs remain totally unregulated, but I feel that the FDA's next step will be an attempt to fight e-cig classification as a tobacco product and focus their efforts towards regulating nicotine in all nicotine-containing products(except those food products where nicotine occurs naturally).

Our House

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2009
NJ, USA
Much lower nicotine levels.
This is a fear that I never quite understood people having; at least, not unless it would also apply to other tobacco products.

At the moment, low (and ineffective) levels of nicotine are only found in pharmaceutical products such as gum, patches, etc. Why should ecigs be held to a higher standard that regular cigarettes and other smokeless tobacco products? If the FDA does such a thing, ecig manufacturers can sue for unfair treatment and will win pretty easily.

lonercom

ECF Veteran
Is this the case everyone was waiting to see the outcome? Its been a long time...so can anyone refresh my memory of this particular case? TIA

Yes.

The FDA has several options at this point and can take any one or all actions simultaneously:

•» Appeal the current decision to the US Supreme Court, and ask for an emergency stay until the case is heard.
•» Continue to block the importation of other distributor’s products until ordered to stop.
•» Continue to garner negative publicity with the help of their current Anti E-Cig surrogates; ASH, ALA, AHA, etc.
•» Lobby the US Congress to pass specific legislation regarding these devices.
from my blog The Lone Fogger

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston
From the FSPCA Wiki:
Provisions
* Creates a tobacco control center within the FDA and gives the FDA authority to regulate the content, marketing and sale of tobacco products.
* Requires tobacco companies and importers to reveal all product ingredients and seek FDA approval for any new tobacco products.
* Allows the FDA to change tobacco product content.
o The ban on flavoring applies to any product meeting the definition of a "cigarette" according to section 3(1) of the Federal Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act. This includes any tobacco that comes rolled such as cigarettes and cigars, and added to this definition in the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act is any tobacco with the purpose to be rolled such as rolling tobacco.
* Calls for new rules to prevent sales except through direct, face-to-face exchanges between a retailer and a consumer.
* Limits advertising that could attract young smokers.
* Requires cigarette warning labels to cover 50 percent of the front and rear of each pack, with the word warning in capital letters.
* Requires FDA approval for the use of expressions such as "light, "mild" or "low" that give the impression that a particular tobacco product poses less of a health risk.[21]

The bill makes no provisions that ban the import of the banned items for personal consumption, only for "sale or distribution". (Division A Title II Section 201) [22]

So my question is, however silly, can we as consumers still legally buy our premixed e-juice from China should the FDA ban American made flavored e-juice?

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
From the FSPCA Wiki:

So my question is, however silly, can we as consumers still legally buy our premixed e-juice from China should the FDA ban American made flavored e-juice?

E-cigarettes don't fall under the definition of "cigarette" as they also doesn't come "rolled" or isn't intended to be rolled. So the flavor issue doesn't apply under current federal law. At this point, you won't need to order from China, but should they somehow get flavors removed from non-cigarette tobacco products in the U.S. it shouldn't affect imported liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread