Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtificialReef

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2010
Virginia
Dear Mad as hell and ain't going to take it anymore,

My best advice is to just mod for your own satisfaction. If you try to please everyone you will end up with a Rube Goldberg contraption. In a nut shell if you do put in the Kitchen sink someone will want running water with it so they can wash the thing and then someone will want it to have hot and cold running water. By the time you put all that in along with the extension cord to the hot water heater you will need a truck to haul it around in. Oh yea air conditioning would be nice too. Central heat, cruse control, MP3, electric start, on star, 20 gig hard drive, blue tooth, and a self filling Gummy tank.

Yeah, that way you don't end up with something like this poor ..........
dear gummy.jpg

ArtificialReef

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2010
Virginia
Dear Gummy,
I rested on my laurels and was quite complacent until I had surgery on my shoulder and am laid up off work for a month. I am modding everything in the house now and my wife is getting frustrated with me running the dremel in my office at all hours of the night. What do I do?

...on a positive note, my 15 year old daughter has become my evil mod minion and we are building as fast as we can go. Great father-daughter time.

Gummy Bear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
orlando fl
agummybear.deviantart.com
Dear Gummy,
I rested on my laurels and was quite complacent until I had surgery on my shoulder and am laid up off work for a month. I am modding everything in the house now and my wife is getting frustrated with me running the dremel in my office at all hours of the night. What do I do?

...on a positive note, my 15 year old daughter has become my evil mod minion and we are building as fast as we can go. Great father-daughter time.

Dear minion slave,
Great job, the family that mods together vapes together.
As for the complaints about the Dremel,,
Ear plugs, one set for her so that she won't hear it, and one set for you just in case she does.

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
PWM can cause FM interference, depends on the frequency of the regulator and what it's harmonic frequencies are. =] You could try a choke on the antenna wire but I doubt you will have much luck filtering the noise out as it is probably interfering with the radios IF frequency. Also improving the ground connection for the radio may help some but that is more for sparkplug noise to the radio. You hear that mostly on AM when you step on the gas. They make a choke for that also. A choke is just a ferrite ring that you loop either the antenna wire through or the power wires.

The best fix would be to run a ground wire from the body of your PV to the chassis of the vehicle. This will drain the FM radiation. Try touching a metal part of your mod to a bare metal part of the car when you fire it and see if the noise goes away.

Radio in my Caddy better not be cheap...new to VV...first time out and about with them.

But I promise you, it happens !

fm stations if that matters...

Last edited:

Gummy Bear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
orlando fl
PWM can cause FM interference, depends on the frequency of the regulator and what it's harmonic frequencies are. =] You could try a choke on the antenna wire but I doubt you will have much luck filtering the noise out as it is probably interfering with the radios IF frequency. Also improving the ground connection for the radio may help some but that is more for sparkplug noise to the radio. You hear that mostly on AM when you step on the gas. They make a choke for that also. A choke is just a ferrite ring that you loop either the antenna wire through or the power wires.

The best fix would be to run a ground wire from the body of your PV to the chassis of the vehicle. This will drain the FM radiation. Try touching a metal part of your mod to a bare metal part of the car when you fire it and see if the noise goes away.

great advice. See we have enough of a knowledge base here that if we wanted to I'd bet we could put a PV on the moon. (with operator)

MadmanMacguyver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Dallas Texas
that was just after it was setup...and I clean it after every use so it's pretty much the same before I start working every time Doc...otherwise I would never find my tools...I make a HUUUUUGE Mess while working...maybe thats why my minion gets mad while I am working...that or because I am scaring the Rats she likes to chase away w all the noise...

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida

umm...?
and it's not the mod making noise...it is the radio making static when one of these PVs are activated....

Gummy...

Gummy Bear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
orlando fl
umm...?
and it's not the mod making noise...it is the radio making static when one of these PVs are activated....

Gummy...

Hi, Yes the mod is causing interference that the radio pick up. The real nifty question is if it make a different noise or no noise at different output voltages. ??????????

Gummy Bear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
orlando fl
Dear Auto Vapor,
Uh,, we need to have Nurse Cratchet check you out.
Sounds like you done modded one too many mufflers.

Nutten to be shamed about, it's happened to most all of us here.
And I did have a word with her about being a bit more gentle when she's taking temps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread