Status
Not open for further replies.

Cahdek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Long story short: Melted the insulator and welded the center post to the base

Long story long: Built a quad 28 ga coil at .3 ohms. Hit like a DREAM! Only problem, the center post go WAY hot and eventually melted the insulator (unbeknownst to me) . I was vaping on it and didn't notice until I went to take another and it tasted like hot metal. Thought my battery vented. Nope. not only did the insulator melt, but the center post was now welded in place. I removed my build, and attempted to free up the center post and then the damn center post broke. This thing is really welded in there.

So... $130 down the tubes. I'd still like to salvage it, but not sure if its possible at this point. My thinking is that using 28 gauge wire was the culprit and perhaps the same thing with a lower gauge wire (i.e. 24 or 22) wouldn't have gotten the center post so hot. Thoughts?

Welded-Zenith.jpg

Cahdek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Melted a few clone insulators before, but this sounds like a defect provided op metered their build and the connections were solid.

Yep. I have a 510 ohm checker and I metered it at .3 ohm (1.2 ohm each /4). My thinking is that since it takes the 28 gauge longer to heat up (thus more current for longer) the center post got too hot. One thing I did notice about the Zenith is that when it gets hot, it stays hot. I tend to take several pulls in succession thereby keeping the RDA and center post hotter for longer...

Another possiblity is that I know CMII was WAY behind on getting the orders out because of a CNC machine issue. I had ordered mine in March and got it in June. Perhaps in the scramble, they used sub-par materials. Wouldn't think they would, but given that this thing melted rather easily, perhaps it makes sense.

Either way I don't think it's fixable. I tried to pull the center post out (and tried unscrewing it) and the damn thing broke off. If I knew how to get that center post out, then perhaps it can be saved.

I'm disappointed in it really.

I've since bought a Stillare v2i but am very hesitant to use 28 gauge in it. 24 is on the way

EDIT: For clarification, I measured the COMPLETED quad coil at .3 ohm, NOT the individual coils

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread