Debating a Kayfun / Russian / KF Clone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
My first rebuildable that I've actually enjoyed was the GG Penelope V1. I now have a V3 also, but it took a few weeks of tinkering to get it working properly, and I still have to change the coil out every 3-5 days. Not suggesting that a kayfun will be any different though, don't misunderstand me.

I don't prefer Microcoils. Actually, I'd rather avoid them. I make a somewhat loose coil, wrapped around a double 3mm silica, with 32AWG NiChrome.

So here's my questions:

Will a kayfun work with a 1.5-2.0 ohm coil not micro-style, with silica?
Does Silica produce any wicking issues? I use the german silica, fyi.
How does it look on a ProVari 2.5?
Are they sturdy? I've had a few attys (Terminator-C, iSmokaMagoo (Yes, knock-offs, I know)) that I dropped one too many times and they pour liquid out as fast as I put it in.

Thanks for your time,
-X

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
Go for it!
It's actually not hard to drain it. What I do is simply unscrew the top cap, and pour out the remainder of what's in the tank. Normally there is no darkening of the juice in the tank, so I dump it back in the bottle. If there is any darkening, I just dump it in another container, an empty bottle for instance, and dump it back into the Kayfun after re-wicking it and top it off with fresh juice.

sky4it

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Minnesota
The Kayfun's are sort of like women, no two are exactly alike.

BTW, hello to Sauk Rapids from Moorhead.

I just got another 3.1 Kayfun in, the stinker had a full metal sleeve and it didnt have the two short metal peices, (it only had one.) so that you can attach the polycarbonate fitting. So I pirated some parts off a kayfun lite, (the Kayfun lite was defective right out of the box- a leaker) and the parts worked great. One problem tho, the bottom of the full Russian 3.1 heated up, so I recoiled it, but it still heats up and seems to use more battery power than my other 3.1.... maybe my battery is just worn out I dunno, or the factory oil didnt come off so the bottom heats up because of that, we shall see.....

you can wick your kayfun with silica, but i think you will like cotton better, also if you use a lower guage wire, you dont have to build as many coils because the wire is firmer for re- wicking. But you will have to do more raps if you go to a 30 gauge and probably bigger diameter ---- say around 2.4 mm. 6 wraps on a 2.4 mm with 30 guage on a Kayfun will put you around 1.7 ohm plus or minus........

Last edited:

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
Got an EHPro KFL+ clone first, then a real one. Hard to tell the difference between them, perhaps the threads are a bit better on the real. Vape wise, no difference at all. The KFL's in general will tolerate almost any build you can dream up, provided your device can fire it, and your throat can handle it. I have found mine work great with plain vanilla 1.8 ohm 30ga micro coils wicked with cotton. Good luck.

Sptz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Russian 91 on a Provari at the right. I would recommend a KFL V2...superior design. I gave up micro coils some time back. I use a standard coil, 7 wraps of 30 ga., and hit 1.6 consistently. As for coil life, the one in there now is a month old. I use cotton and switch it out every 3-4 days, but a lot of folks use silica.

Are you actually using pluid on a plastic section there? :eek:

time2quit

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
upstate new york
Russian 91 on a Provari at the right. I would recommend a KFL V2...superior design. I gave up micro coils some time back. I use a standard coil, 7 wraps of 30 ga., and hit 1.6 consistently. As for coil life, the one in there now is a month old. I use cotton and switch it out every 3-4 days, but a lot of folks use silica.

What's that setup in the left? Sweet!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Will a KayFun work with a 1.5-2.0 ohm coil not micro-style, with silica?
Sure, that's what it was designed for.

Does Silica produce any wicking issues? I use the german silica, fyi.
IMO, silica doesn't wick as well as cotton, but again, the Kayfun was designed to run silica.

Are they sturdy?
IMO, the only part likely to be damaged in a mishap is the plastic tank section, and spares are cheap, plus Kayfuns normally come with a steel tank section that you can use in a pinch.

I've pretty much given up on using any tanks except my Kayfuns (two R91s and a KFL+v2, with a second KFL+v2 on order). I've also tried a Taifun GT and a Squape and find both of them too fidgety.

300fury

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2013
Rochester mn usa
I've pretty much given up on using any tanks except my Kayfuns (two R91s and a KFL+v2, with a second K FL+v2 on order). I've also tried a Taifun GT and a Squape and find both of them too fidgety.

I keep hearing that the taifun gt can be difficult. I have one and was able to get it working right away.... Maybe I just get along with it well, lol. I actually use my taifun gt all the time

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
A kayfun will look great on the provari . Problem without using micro coils is that you will have to change them out frequently and since you can't take apart the kayfun without draining it it could be a pain. I think you should give micros a chance and use organic cotton you will not be disappointed

fully agreed. And my biggest complaint about the kayfun is having to drain it to take it apart.

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
Sure, that's what it was designed for.

IMO, silica doesn't wick as well as cotton, but again, the Kayfun was designed to run silica.

IMO, the only part likely to be damaged in a mishap is the plastic tank section, and spares are cheap, plus Kayfuns normally come with a steel tank section that you can use in a pinch.

I've pretty much given up on using any tanks except my Kayfuns (two R91s and a KFL+v2, with a second KFL+v2 on order). I've also tried a Taifun GT and a Squape and find both of them too fidgety.

If you like RBAs, and you like kayfuns, I strongly suggest you take a look at the Aqua because it blows all of my kayfuns out of the water. Some drilling should be done on the Aqua, and there are very good youtube tutorials that will make this process a piece of cake. Running dual coils on an aqua drilled for massive airflow increase will outperform any build you can come up with on a kayfun/russian. I have tried all of this.

I purchased a black KFL+ from eciggity with a factory larger drilled airhole. Even with this modification, I prefer my kayfun 3.1 as the stock airflow in it beats the KFL+.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
Thanks for all the quick replies folks. Now all I've got to do is decide if I want a Kayfun or a Russian.

The russian is kayfun style device. You are paying a lot more for a device that won't perform any better than the other kayfuns out there. But if you like the looks of the R91s, and want that name on your device, go for it.

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
And I get a bad reaction to silica (with regular use)

there are no absolutes here.
Gotta experiment to find what works best for yourself

Very true. However, many people are saying "use cotton" and I just wanted to show that not everyone can use cotton.

Luckily, I have not had any problems with silica or cotton. I prefer cotton because, it is cheap and easy to work with. Most importantly, I experience better flavor when using cotton.

The only downside I have had with cotton is that it can easily burn. I am still experimenting with my Protank rebuilds. Do to poor wicking, I have burned the cotton on a few rebuilt heads. And, I am sure there are many sub-ohm cloud chasers that have inadvertently burned right through their wicks. At least I have a few times.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
And my biggest complaint about the kayfun is having to drain it to take it apart.
The only time I take 'em apart is when it's time to re-wick them. Depending on the juice, that's after somewhere between 3 and 10 refills. I don't drain 'em, I just vape 'em down to below the clear tank section and take 'em apart in the sink. Yeah, I might lose one ml or so of juice that way, but since I judge the need to re-wick primarily on the appearance of the juice, that one ml isn't something I'd care to recycle.

Newgmole

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2014
Pa.
The only time I take 'em apart is when it's time to re-wick them. Depending on the juice, that's after somewhere between 3 and 10 refills. I don't drain 'em, I just vape 'em down to below the clear tank section and take 'em apart in the sink. Yeah, I might lose one ml or so of juice that way, but since I judge the need to re-wick primarily on the appearance of the juice, that one ml isn't something I'd care to recycle.

Very true....

IMO buy the Kayfun. Save the money for the juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread