Dehydration advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally posted this in the Vapor4Life forum, but it seemed to fit here as well:

Before I dispense the advice, you gotta sit through the story. I'm like the time share salesman on your free vacation ;-)

So last week I got over a massive sinus infection. But my ears (which have caused me constant problems since birth) still hadn't drained. So today I went to my ear nose and throat doc. After the routine exam and cleaning (no more infection :) ) I told him that I have frequent sinus infections, and asked what he would suggest. He gave me a sample of a sinus rinse. Like a squeezy bottle version of that disturbing looking nettie pot.

Now on to the good part. I also informed him of my switch to e-cigarettes. (Got a big congratulations. Gotta love the informed doctors) I then told him that due to the nature of my job, I don't always have the time to stay hydrated and asked what he would recommend to quickly rehydrate my throat. He told me to use the sinus rinse! How lucky was that?!

One of the major upsides to being an RN is that doctors take a little more time with me to explain things in greater detail. So when I asked about the sinus rinse, he had some very interesting things to say. He told me that at the last sinus and throat medical conference he went to in Chicago, every single lecture either began or ended with the speaker touting the good things about this new sinus rinse.

Besides soothing the nose and sinuses and helping to prevent sinus infections, these rinses are the second best way to rehydrate dry mucous membranes, i.e. nose, mouth, and throat lining. (The best way is to drink enough water to not get dehydrated in the first place :lol: )

SO... for those of you who have issues with vaping causing you a dry throat, or if you also have frequent sinus infections, it's the NeilMed Sinus Rinse. They have a pot too, but my doctor said the squeeze bottle was far easier to use and more effective. And make sure if you decide to try it to get the one with the blue rinse packets. They're isotonic and far safer. They can be found near the cold remedies. :)

But don't forget to drink water too ;-)

As for how often, my doctor recommended 3 times a day when sick or having sinus or dehydration issues, once a day otherwise. Any more than that, and you wash away the natural flow of... hydrating gross stuff. So to speak.

There are some DIY saline solution recipes out there. I can't comment on these except to say be sure to keep the solution as clean as humanly possible and use distilled, purified, or boiled water.

That's it! :vapor:

Tripster

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
I originally posted this in the Vapor4Life forum, but it seemed to fit here as well:

Before I dispense the advice, you gotta sit through the story. I'm like the time share salesman on your free vacation ;-)

So last week I got over a massive sinus infection. But my ears (which have caused me constant problems since birth) still hadn't drained. So today I went to my ear nose and throat doc. After the routine exam and cleaning (no more infection :) ) I told him that I have frequent sinus infections, and asked what he would suggest. He gave me a sample of a sinus rinse. Like a squeezy bottle version of that disturbing looking nettie pot.

Now on to the good part. I also informed him of my switch to e-cigarettes. (Got a big congratulations. Gotta love the informed doctors) I then told him that due to the nature of my job, I don't always have the time to stay hydrated and asked what he would recommend to quickly rehydrate my throat. He told me to use the sinus rinse! How lucky was that?!

One of the major upsides to being an RN is that doctors take a little more time with me to explain things in greater detail. So when I asked about the sinus rinse, he had some very interesting things to say. He told me that at the last sinus and throat medical conference he went to in Chicago, every single lecture either began or ended with the speaker touting the good things about this new sinus rinse.

Besides soothing the nose and sinuses and helping to prevent sinus infections, these rinses are the second best way to rehydrate dry mucous membranes, i.e. nose, mouth, and throat lining. (The best way is to drink enough water to not get dehydrated in the first place :lol: )

SO... for those of you who have issues with vaping causing you a dry throat, or if you also have frequent sinus infections, it's the NeilMed Sinus Rinse. They have a pot too, but my doctor said the squeeze bottle was far easier to use and more effective. And make sure if you decide to try it to get the one with the blue rinse packets. They're isotonic and far safer. They can be found near the cold remedies. :)

But don't forget to drink water too ;-)

As for how often, my doctor recommended 3 times a day when sick or having sinus or dehydration issues, once a day otherwise. Any more than that, and you wash away the natural flow of... hydrating gross stuff. So to speak.

There are some DIY saline solution recipes out there. I can't comment on these except to say be sure to keep the solution as clean as humanly possible and use distilled, purified, or boiled water.

That's it! :vapor:

I appreciate this very much so, I'll look into this asap.

thank_you.jpg

Good point! I just reread my original post, and I made it seem like he recommended the rinse primarily for my sinuses. Well, there was that and the dehydration but yeah, the primary concern he was trying to help me with was my ears. Isn't it amazing!? I have to be honest, it took me a few days to adjust to the sensation. I'd compare it to jumping in a pool and having water jet up your nose. But once the initial shock is over, it's disturbingly soothing. It's awesome to see I'm not alone in this. What a simple yet seemingly miraculous little tool!

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks, KrisBKream, for the advice on NeilMed Sinus Rinse! I've been plagued with sinus infections and otitis media ever since I was a little kid. When I was growing up -- when dinosaurs stalked the land and we made tools by chipping flint -- the remedy for otitis media was to lance the eardrums. My eardrums are as thick as quarters, and I've been somewhat hard of hearing ever since. I look forward to using the sinus rinse the next time there's even a hint of a sinus infection.

What is in the rinse?

It's a simple saline rinse. I don't have the packet with me, so I'm not sure if it's a sodium based saline or not, but that's my best guess. The bottle and the amount of salt in the packets are designed to create an isotonic solution. What this means is that the solution has the same osmotic pressure as a well hydrated body. So, if you are dehydrated, your body will draw moisture from the solution. If your sinuses or turbinates or whatever other tissues are swollen with extra fluid, the solution will draw excess moisture from those tissues. It's a ridiculously simple but effective treatment. Just gotta get used to the initial shock of water up your nose :lol:

Thanks, KrisBKream, for the advice on NeilMed Sinus Rinse! I've been plagued with sinus infections and otitis media ever since I was a little kid. When I was growing up -- when dinosaurs stalked the land and we made tools by chipping flint -- the remedy for otitis media was to lance the eardrums. My eardrums are as thick as quarters, and I've been somewhat hard of hearing ever since. I look forward to using the sinus rinse the next time there's even a hint of a sinus infection.

Oh boy, I feel for you. I had to be lanced myself. And have an unhealed lance hole patched with skin from behind my ear. Yuck. I wonder if you're like I am. My eustacian tubes don't angle down as steeply as they should, and my ear canals are narrow to boot. Lack of drainage is a constant issue. I can't promise this will be the miracle that will cure all of your issues, but I can't imagine how it couldn't help.

One caution, though. When you go to blow your nose afterwards, do so GENTLY. The last thing you want is to get extra fluid in your ear from high pressure nose-blowing :lol:

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of multi-quote. Can't figure it out on tapatalk

I've been using this one for about 5 years. It's great for keeping allergies in check, too.

Holy cow! I bet you're right! OMG I can't wait to see how it works in the spring! Hope I don't overdo it... that sounds like something I would do. Allergies are awful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread