Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
In my thread regarding a calculator for use with PEG400, the comments really began to run the gamut of many issues related to the dehydration of vaping, some of those issues quite serious. I have seen it in many posts here, some of them the "stickies," to beware of dehydration, to drink more water, etc, but that just does not begin to cover the very dangerous level of dehydration that vaping can cause or exacerbate, and the fact that simply drinking more water is often not even close to being a sufficient "cure." Someone suggested that since I have had to deal with this problem at such a detailed level, I start a thread all about it, for any of us dealing with any level of dehydration, but especially for those of us dealing with catastrophic dehydration, and the problems associated with it.

I have asthma, and I found out quite early on that if I vape e-juice with more than about 25% VG, I simply cannot breathe -- I feel constantly as if I need to cough up, but nothing moves, nothing coughs up, and I feel like there's a hairball or something in my chest. Being so new to vaping when I discovered this, I simply switched to an e-juice containing a very high percentage of PG, 80%-85%, and this apparently solved the problem -- no more hairball. However, because I *am* an asthmatic, using a rescue inhaler containing PG for a great many years, I have suffered for most of those great many years with dehydration severe enough to cause me leg cramps nearly every night in my sleep, though I never knew what was causing it, until I became a vaper and learned more about PG and its properties. When I added the high-PG vaping to this already-dehydrated state, it was simply the straw that very nearly broke the camel's back.

This could all be termed "anecdotal" evidence, on the subject of the catastrophic dehydration potential of vaping, especially vaping a very-high-PG ejuice, but it is the only kind of evidence to which I have access. What I know is this:

a) my right foot started hurting within a few weeks after I started vaping, but I didn't think much about it at the time, figuring I had probably hurt myself somehow (I'm a serious klutz);

b) within another month, that right foot hurt even worse, and my right ankle was so puffy and swollen it appeared to be a sprained ankle, though the ankle, at that point, didn't hurt;

c) within a couple more weeks, my left foot started hurting, and left ankle was starting to show some puffiness;

d) within another couple weeks, the left ankle's puffiness as as bad as the right's, which was getting worse, and the pain on the bottom of both feet, right in the arch, was worse, and swellings could be actually felt, with the fingers, like lumps.

As I said, I knew from reading in this forum that PG causes dehydration. When I went looking online for possible causes of foot/ankle edema, one of the foremost answers was "dehydration."

Then, I got sick with appendicitis, had my appendix out; spent about 4 days mostly in bed (elevated feet!), and was not vaping at all during those 4 days. When I was finally able to get up and try to resume something like normal life, I noticed that
a) the swelling was GONE, and
b) the pain was GONE.
Within a couple days, I tried to resume vaping, and we went to the local B&M where I spent about an hour-ish trying out some new flavors. That night, when I disrobed to go to bed, I noticed that once again, my right ankle was swollen.

Since then, I have been vaping only what probably amounts to a few minutes per day -- when we go out in the truck, I take the vape and not the cigarettes since I don't want that smell coming back, in the truck. I've been paying PARTICULAR attention to trying to correct my severe dehydration (worsened badly by the vomiting/........ I suffered in my illness). What I'm seeing is that with
a) not vaping much *at all*, and
b) trying steadfastly to correct the dehydration,
my ankles have slowly returned to normal.

I experience this edema and pain worse with one side -- the right -- than the other, which I have no explanation for. But I have no other explanation for any of it, since my general health, aside from the acute appenditicitis I suffered, is very good; no heart issues, post-menopausal so no hormonal issues, no issues whatever that would cause or contribute to the severe pain and edema -- except the dehydration I suffered before I ever even heard of vaping, and then the enormous dehydration caused by the vaping itself.

Also... when it first became very painful, I tried to go from 80%PG to 67%PG, and although that level of VG is way too much for my asthmatic lungs, just flat out suffocating me, I did begin to notice some improvement in my feet and ankles, before I was forced, in order to keep breathing, to return to the high-PG mix -- and the improvement went away.

As stated, this could all be termed "anecdotal" evidence, but there is simply no other factor which could be causing the edema, other than the extreme amount of PG. I do not have an allergy to it, having used it for years in my asthma inhalers, with no issues except a continuing mild dehydration which, for many years, I had no explanation.

It appears that others have suffered similar, if not identical, issues with vaping, but there is just NOTHING definitive about it online, either here at ECF or anywhere else. I had to draw my own conclusion that the problem, at bottom, was dehydration on a massive scale.

Many times here, when someone posts a symptom they think may be related to vaping, they get treated to the ubiquitous "see your doctor," but many of us do not have the wherewithal to be running to the doctor for every little symptom that rears its head, plus the fact that many times, when you go to the doctor with a symptom, you're just handing them a hunting license to find something wrong with you that requires some pharmaceutical intervention that will ultimately cause an even worse problem. I think we all know the score where Big Pharma is concerned -- they don't give a rat's hindquarters for our health, they just want to make money and devil take the hindmost. I have no alternative to the BP asthma inhaler I must use regularly, just as many have no alternative for the hypertension, diabetes, and other chronic-condition medicines that must be taken on a daily basis, but for dehydration, there is just no reason to involve BP, if you can resolve it before it affects your overall health in catastrophic ways.

My own particular "fix" seems to be coconut water -- it's just in the past week since I've been consuming about 12oz of coconut water daily, that the swelling and pain in my feet and ankles has finally gone away. It's possible that "sports drinks" could have a similar effect, though I don't know too many people who can abide their taste -- but if you can, it's probably a cheaper fix than the coconut water.

Also, reducing my salt intake seems to have had a beneficial effect. I never went terribly overboard with salt intake, but maybe it was more than a dehydrated body really needed -- so I've reduced it, while adding the coconut water regimen, and as stated, the swelling has gone away.

I'm also beginning to learn about doing DIY e-juice, using PEG400. I cannot offer much at the moment about "how it vapes," because I just created my first test batch of it day before yesterday, and it's currently steeping; I don't know if the end result will be tolerable or not, and I may need to experiment with other brands of flavor, to get something really tasty. PEG400 may not be a "perfect fix," because apparently it shares some of PG's chemical properties, but it may be less dehydrating, which is why I'm trying it out. More on the subject of PEG400 specifically can be found at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/578402-diy-calculator-use-peg400.html.

Anyone else with serious issues related to dehydration, please chime in. Perhaps together we can arrive at some real fix to keep vaping a viable option for those wishing to improve their health by ditching cigarettes, while not destroying their health with serious dehydration.

Andria

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I would like to add, that I hope some moderator will not see fit to move this thread to the "Health" forum; this is just too important a topic, and needs to be viewable by all of us who may have some concerns with dehydration, and some of those people may not ever make it into the Health forum.

Andria

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I have had similar symptoms in my ankles and feet since I started vaping. Never associated dehydration with the pain I felt. I did know however that pg causes dehydration. Your other thread alerted me to the fact that my symptoms might be related to the high pg content of my vape. I decided to eliminate pg altogether just to see what happens ... sure enough, the pain in my arch and ankle drastically went down within a day or so. This morning I woke up with less pain that I have ever felt in a year or so. Hopefully this is not just a "placebo" effect, and most likely it is not.... I will chime in later if I see any change. Thanks Andrea for the thought.

Last edited:

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
Nice that you took the time to share this Andria :)

It very well illustrates that if someone already takes medications or does other activities that cause dehyration that person will need to be especially careful to avoid dehydration.
In addtion to not vaping while you were in the hospital, I am sure they also had you hooked up to an IV which will keep you hydrated.

For those who cannot tolerate sports drinks... You can add some type of powdered drink mix to make the water more palitable. I am not a fan of water but I havve gotten over that since vaping.
Eating a Banana once a day is also good to keep your electrolites in balance (which are thrown off when dehydrated)

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I would like to add, that I hope some moderator will not see fit to move this thread to the "Health" forum; this is just too important a topic, and needs to be viewable by all of us who may have some concerns with dehydration, and some of those people may not ever make it into the Health forum.

Andria

I second that motion. Hope it stays on this forum where members can derive maximum benefit.

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands
I think a primary reason why drinking just a lot of water isn't enough to prevent cramps, is because apart from fluids, your body also needs Electrolytes. Now, I haven't experimented with Electrolyte-rich foods or home-made electrolyte drinks (basically water+salt+any freshly squeezed fruit juice that is known to be high in electrolytes), but just giving you some food (or drinks!) for thought here.

I personally am afflicted with chronic bronchitis, and I certainly can't chain-vape without copious amounts of water on standby.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Nice that you took the time to share this Andria :)

It very well illustrates that if someone already takes medications or does other activities that cause dehyration that person will need to be especially careful to avoid dehydration.
In addtion to not vaping while you were in the hospital, I am sure they also had you hooked up to an IV which will keep you hydrated.

For those who cannot tolerate sports drinks... You can add some type of powdered drink mix to make the water more palitable. I am not a fan of water but I havve gotten over that since vaping.
Eating a Banana once a day is also good to keep your electrolites in balance (which are thrown off when dehydrated)

I was released from the hospital the same day as the laparoscopic surgery, and got to enjoy all the post-surgery misery in my own bed (which means I now have some stomach-acid stains to remove from my carpet!). Given the extreme nausea I suffered (apparently a side effect of the "gas" with which they inflate your abdomen for laparoscopy), I couldn't drink water without gagging, and could barely get anything else down and keep it there. So by the time I was able to get out of bed, even without vaping for 4 days, I was so dehydrated it's a wonder I didn't dry up and blow away!

My advice: drink water like a fish. The more, the merrier. So what if you're almost living on the toilet ....... Better that than dehydration.

I was at that stage already, and it did no good whatever; NO amount of plain water was fixing the dehydration. Even sports drinks weren't much use, because I could barely stand the taste to be able to gag them down. The ONLY thing that has been helpful AT ALL is coconut water. I find it a little on the too-sweet side, so I add about an oz of pineapple juice to about 7-8oz of coconut water.

Andria

amolson

Verified Member
Jun 9, 2014
Reno, NV, USA
Hmmm, having grown up in the desert and living there most of my life, dehydration is a regular issue I've had to deal with.

One, plain water can sometimes make it worse, as it can cause electrolyte imbalances. And in cases like this, it can make you loose fluids.

If you can't stand sweet fruit flavors, which is the usual reason someone with dehydration can't tolerate 'sports drinks', then there are some additional tricks.

Iced herb teas, Kool-Aide from the little packages with sweetener to taste (I use about 1/4 the sugar), and something I do a lot when I'm actually working in the desert heat is I get powdered Gatoraide mix and then mix it about 1/3 strength. Then it's nowhere near as sweet and I get even more water. Non-alcoholic beer is another thing I drank gallons of as a kid living in an extreme desert. (Average highs over 110 daily and we all worked during the day.) Juice from concentrate mixed with extra water or combined with the Kool-Aide mixed very weak. (Cranberry goes with an amazing number of other flavors, from green apple to lime.)

Oh, yes, and free dehydration check before you start seeing things like swollen ankles and the like. Pinch up the skin on the back of your hand. If it doesn't snap back instantly, you're badly dehydrated. As in getting toward IV time. It's far cheaper to go to urgent care than the ER. The lesser form is if your pee is yellow or strong smelling, drink more! Sounds gross, but it works. Unless you take B vitamins (and there are foods that can cause this as well) it should be a very pale color and nearly odorless if you're well hydrated.

Thank you for bringing up this issue. Most people who live in normal climates never have to deal with dehydration and it can kill. Especially if you're older (as in not 20's) it can really sneak up on you even without vaping.

Oh, and it might not be the VG that's causing the asthma problems so much as the dehydration. But the VG would simply exacerbate it.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Hi, AndriaD,

I also read through your other thread. I'm glad that the coconut milk is working for you!

I am offering my 2 cents for what it is worth (hopefully at least half that ;-)

You mention sports drinks several times in both threads. Were you hydrating using gatorade or similar, or were you mostly just drinking water? Gatorade is good when you need it, but IMHO should not be a daily consumption unless you are very active. Football players lose a lot of electrolytes during intense physical activity, but if you're not sweating, you shouldn't need heavy doses of electrolytes, and I bet too much isn't particularly good for you. In particular, gatorade has a fair amount of salt in it (and the other electrolytes are also salts).

You also said that you were marginally dehydrated when you were on your asthma inhaler. Is this normal? I would talk with your doctor, you might have some other condition that causes your body to not hydrate well. And if inhaler usage causes dehydration, vaping would certainly seem to make it much worse.

Have you tried vaping with higher nic content? I vape mostly 24 or 18 mg strengths, and as a result I go through a lot less liquid than I would at 6 or 10. (Also from a health perspective, it means a lot less stuff inhaled). Then again, I don't use drippers and am not a cloud-chaser.

How good are you at drinking water regularly? I don't think you said anywhere; you should try to drink a LOT of water, not just a couple extra glasses a day. I keep a 16-oz cup next to me most of the time, and if it's empty I made a rule that I fill it back up before I hit the e-cig.

And finally, I work mostly from home on the computer. One thing about vaping instead of smoking is that I tend to sit for much longer periods of time (because I don't have to get up and go outside for a smoke). This is also something that can cause swelling in the lower extremities, since muscle action really helps to pump blood back up from your toes to your heart.

Just throwing out some random ideas here. This thread is very valuable for spreading information about dehydration, thanks!

Edit: Took me a bit to write this; in the mean time some of my questions were answered.... Sorry to bring them back!)

Last edited:

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I to have asthma and high vg gave me the hairball you are talking about, but the dehydration and dry mouth where to much so I decided to gradually increase my vg; started with 80pg and little by little now I'm at 75-80vg without any problem that I first had and now I solved the dehydration too. maybe it helps

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I am surprised they did not give you any anti nasuea pills.

Did they at least have you on an IV during the procedure?

Yes, they started an IV as soon as I was in the e-room, I was just about doubled-over in agony, barely even able to talk because it requires the abdominal muscles/diaphragm and my entire abdomen was just agony. They gave me *IV morphine* and I have to say, it did not remove the pain, but it did make it somewhat more bearable. The removed the IV about 2 hrs after surgery, just before they put me in a wheelchair and let me out -- and it was really amazing, even after having surgery, just getting rid of the source of the agony meant a surprising ease in standing and moving around!

I finally called the surgeon 3 days after the surgery, and it was in my med history that I suffer IBS, and I explained to her that for me, that means that ANY messing around with my colon means massive nausea, and she called in a prescription for Phenergan, but it wasn't terribly effective. :(

Andria

ncolwell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thank you for posting this. I've been thinking about dehydration a lot recently. I know I'm not drinking enough water on a regular basis. My story is a long one, so I won't bore you with the details. Basically this is what happened: Changed my eating, started exercising, quit smoking (vaped Blu disposables for a short period of time)---> Lost 40 pounds ---> Got pregnant and miscarried ---> started smoking again ---> Switched to e-cigs ---> Gained back all of the weight I lost.

Like I said, I know I need to drink more water. I'm still working on getting my motivation back to get back on my healthy regimen, even though I haven't smoked in over three months now. I just don't FEEL like it. I wish that coconut milk/juice could be the answer for me, but I'm allergic to coconut. :(

sc12

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
USA
Andria, thanks for your very well written post. I had read and forgotten about coconut water so thanks for that. Not sure if it will help but you do absorb nicotine through the tissues in your mouth so you wouldn't have to take an inhale on down to your lungs. As an ex-smoker, a mouth only inhale seems a bit odd though. :)

amolson, great info on hydration. Thank you and everyone who has contributed info here.

Nugsy

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2014
NJ
As someone who has battled severe dehydration before(like had to go to the hospital almost died kind of dehydration) i know how serious it can be. Im not sure how much anyone cant stand the sports drink flavors but i find making a drink thats one qtr sports drink and 3 qtrs water usually dilutes the flavor and hydrates me better than water or the sports drinks alone

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Hmmm, having grown up in the desert and living there most of my life, dehydration is a regular issue I've had to deal with.

One, plain water can sometimes make it worse, as it can cause electrolyte imbalances. And in cases like this, it can make you loose fluids.

If you can't stand sweet fruit flavors, which is the usual reason someone with dehydration can't tolerate 'sports drinks', then there are some additional tricks.

Iced herb teas, Kool-Aide from the little packages with sweetener to taste (I use about 1/4 the sugar), and something I do a lot when I'm actually working in the desert heat is I get powdered Gatoraide mix and then mix it about 1/3 strength. Then it's nowhere near as sweet and I get even more water. Non-alcoholic beer is another thing I drank gallons of as a kid living in an extreme desert. (Average highs over 110 daily and we all worked during the day.) Juice from concentrate mixed with extra water or combined with the Kool-Aide mixed very weak. (Cranberry goes with an amazing number of other flavors, from green apple to lime.)

Oh, yes, and free dehydration check before you start seeing things like swollen ankles and the like. Pinch up the skin on the back of your hand. If it doesn't snap back instantly, you're badly dehydrated. As in getting toward IV time. It's far cheaper to go to urgent care than the ER. The lesser form is if your pee is yellow or strong smelling, drink more! Sounds gross, but it works. Unless you take B vitamins (and there are foods that can cause this as well) it should be a very pale color and nearly odorless if you're well hydrated.

Actually it's not the sweetness of sports drinks that just icks me out, it's the "saltiness" -- it's kinda like the juice left in a watermelon rind after it's been salted and eaten. That salty taste is just horrible to me, and I found a brand of coconut water that has it too, and I can't abide that one; I buy the Goya and add just a little of that "salty" one, like 1 part to 12 parts Goya, and it's tolerable, plus I also add a bit of pineapple juice, the tartness counteracts some of the sweetness of the coconut water.

I was drinking so much water, while all that pain and swelling was going on, my urine was almost completely clear, and I went just constantly. Of course I was also drinking English Breakfast Tea all day long; I understand that caffeine can be diuretic, so I've stopped doing that, in my recuperation, and I suppose I won't resume it, just having 2 cups in the morning (mainly so I don't get those awful caffeine-withdrawal headaches).

Thank you for bringing up this issue. Most people who live in normal climates never have to deal with dehydration and it can kill. Especially if you're older (as in not 20's) it can really sneak up on you even without vaping.

Oh, and it might not be the VG that's causing the asthma problems so much as the dehydration. But the VG would simply exacerbate it.

I never really considered dehydration to be a serious problem, I figured it was pretty normal. But I've been going thru the various stages of menopause for over 10 yrs now, and the hot flashes really do make you sweat (and it's really damn hot in GA in the summer!), plus the PG in my inhaler, and then the vaping, then the major illness with a lot more out-flow than in-flow... it was the perfect storm.

Since I'm trying to drastically lower the level of PG in my vape, one thing I'm trying is diluting the VG pretty heavily, about 25%, and mixing that blend with the 73% PG mix I already have, so that the total PG is no more than 40%, but the VG mix I'm adding is even thinner than the PG mix. Hopefully thinning the VG juice so much will remove it's coating, suffocating quality. What I mixed up yesterday is pretty decent tasting, despite the heavy dilution, and it's already helping me cut down on the cigarettes again, so that hopefully I can return to smoke-free within a week or so.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Hi, AndriaD,

I also read through your other thread. I'm glad that the coconut milk is working for you!

I am offering my 2 cents for what it is worth (hopefully at least half that ;-)

You mention sports drinks several times in both threads. Were you hydrating using gatorade or similar, or were you mostly just drinking water? Gatorade is good when you need it, but IMHO should not be a daily consumption unless you are very active. Football players lose a lot of electrolytes during intense physical activity, but if you're not sweating, you shouldn't need heavy doses of electrolytes, and I bet too much isn't particularly good for you. In particular, gatorade has a fair amount of salt in it (and the other electrolytes are also salts).

Actually it was Powerade, which is marginally better-tasting than Gatorade, but it would take more than marginally to make it tolerable. :D As for why I drank it -- hot flashes, and any time spent outdoors, in GA, in the summertime -- both induce COPIOUS sweating.

You also said that you were marginally dehydrated when you were on your asthma inhaler. Is this normal? I would talk with your doctor, you might have some other condition that causes your body to not hydrate well. And if inhaler usage causes dehydration, vaping would certainly seem to make it much worse.

Well, the inhaler contains PG. I use it 8 times a day (2 puffs 4 times a day). So I guess that would necessarily make it normal. It's a "rescue" inhaler, and there are other inhalers/inhalants that are more on the order of "maintenance," which means I wouldn't need to use the rescue inhaler as often -- but the stated possible side effects of those are so much worse than dehydration -- up to and including DEATH, and no I'm not kidding -- that it seems a reasonable trade-off to me, to medicate only with a rescue inhaler. My asthma has never been very severe, even when I smoked a pack a day.

Have you tried vaping with higher nic content? I vape mostly 24 or 18 mg strengths, and as a result I go through a lot less liquid than I would at 6 or 10. (Also from a health perspective, it means a lot less stuff inhaled). Then again, I don't use drippers and am not a cloud-chaser.

Well, it's a difficult balance for me, to be honest. As low as 12mg, if I vape it in the fashion I prefer (constantly!), makes me quite nauseous. Being a housewife, I have no particular natural constraints on how often I can vape or smoke; the only way I've found to try and limit how often I vape is to leave the PV across the room, so I have to actually get up and go to it, if I want to vape -- much as I have to go outdoors if I want to smoke. By doing this, I can go as high as 10 or 10.5mg, in the daytime, without getting the nausea; at night however I have to reduce to about 6mg or I get the pounding-heart thing when I try to go to sleep.

How good are you at drinking water regularly? I don't think you said anywhere; you should try to drink a LOT of water, not just a couple extra glasses a day. I keep a 16-oz cup next to me most of the time, and if it's empty I made a rule that I fill it back up before I hit the e-cig.

And finally, I work mostly from home on the computer. One thing about vaping instead of smoking is that I tend to sit for much longer periods of time (because I don't have to get up and go outside for a smoke). This is also something that can cause swelling in the lower extremities, since muscle action really helps to pump blood back up from your toes to your heart.

I never ever sit down with a "glass" of water, because once it's not cold, I can't drink it at all. I keep 3 20oz bottles of purified water in the fridge at all times, to make sure I always have cold water; every time I pass in front of the fridge, I try to remember to stop and guzzle 4 or 5 oz. Considering that my desk is right in front of the fridge, that's pretty often, so I do get a pretty fair amount of plain water, plus all the other stuff I drink during the day. When all that other stuff included a great deal of tea, I still had a problem. Now that all that other stuff is a lot less tea and a lot more coconut water and juice, now my dehydration problem seems to be easing a great deal.

Just throwing out some random ideas here. This thread is very valuable for spreading information about dehydration, thanks!
Edit: Took me a bit to write this; in the mean time some of my questions were answered.... Sorry to bring them back!)

Not a problem, because it allowed me to expand on the fact that yes, I was and am drinking a pretty good bit of plain water, but it's the other changes I've made to my liquid consumption that have helped more than the plain water ever did. I agree that this is a very serious concern, but "drink more water" is a lazy, pitiful bit of advice for someone suffering serious dehydration. *Most* people should drink more water, just because it's necessary, but when the problem is already so bad it's causing all these weird symptoms, something further is necessary.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread