Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Thank you for posting this. I've been thinking about dehydration a lot recently. I know I'm not drinking enough water on a regular basis. My story is a long one, so I won't bore you with the details. Basically this is what happened: Changed my eating, started exercising, quit smoking (vaped Blu disposables for a short period of time)---> Lost 40 pounds ---> Got pregnant and miscarried ---> started smoking again ---> Switched to e-cigs ---> Gained back all of the weight I lost.

Like I said, I know I need to drink more water. I'm still working on getting my motivation back to get back on my healthy regimen, even though I haven't smoked in over three months now. I just don't FEEL like it. I wish that coconut milk/juice could be the answer for me, but I'm allergic to coconut. :(

I feel for you; my son is DEATHLY allergic to coconut, an allergy he apparently developed in adulthood, because he never had it as a child, but now, even the proximity of a chocolate containing any coconut or coconut oil sends him directly to anaphylaxis -- it's terrifying!

As for weight loss... I really can't recommend the appendicitis diet, it's horrible, but it does work to get the weight off, when you can't eat or drink for nearly a week. ;)

When I first started vaping, I was still on my post-holidays diet, and I found that being able to sit around in the house and vape, rather than the constant snacking while craving a cigarette, actually reinforced my dieting, and I continued losing weight.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Andria, thanks for your very well written post. I had read and forgotten about coconut water so thanks for that. Not sure if it will help but you do absorb nicotine through the tissues in your mouth so you wouldn't have to take an inhale on down to your lungs. As an ex-smoker, a mouth only inhale seems a bit odd though. :)

For me, mouth/throat/nose inhales are great when I'm trying to boost my nic level quickly -- when first waking in the morning, for example -- but much of the time, I forget and go back to the mouth/throat/lung inhales, probably because it's just such an old and well-established habit from smoking. The mouth/throat/nose inhales are a *conscious* thing, but they really are a bit odd, and very easily forgotten.

Andria

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Hi Andrea...catching up with your threads. I'm glad you're bringing up these topics. For the concerns you have mentioned here and elsewhere, I just posted the below in your PEG-400 thread.

Hi Andrea and others. *I have not read and digested all that is in this thread.*

I've had many of the symptoms you've mentioned. When I began mixing a few years ago, I didn't like VG...seemed oily and not so good on the lungs. The symptoms got worse as I leaned heavily towards PG.

I've recently been trying 5% DW / 5% PGA / 5% 0.9 Saline / +/-5% Flavoring and ~80% VG. The TH is good, the vapor is a plus and the symptoms are fading...ankles more near normal, pains are gone and skin is, I think improving.

My biggest problem now is 1.25 liters of PG Nic base that needs to turn into cash that I can purchase some VG Nic stock.

I'll be interested in your further experience with PEG-400.

PS As well, the distaste I previously had with VG doesn't seem to be there with this mixture.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Hi Andrea...catching up with your threads. I'm glad you're bringing up these topics. For the concerns you have mentioned here and elsewhere, I just posted the below in your PEG-400 thread.

Hi Andrea and others. *I have not read and digested all that is in this thread.*

I've had many of the symptoms you've mentioned. When I began mixing a few years ago, I didn't like VG...seemed oily and not so good on the lungs. The symptoms got worse as I leaned heavily towards PG.

I've recently been trying 5% DW / 5% PGA / 5% 0.9 Saline / +/-5% Flavoring and ~80% VG. The TH is good, the vapor is a plus and the symptoms are fading...ankles more near normal, pains are gone and skin is, I think improving.

My biggest problem now is 1.25 liters of PG Nic base that needs to turn into cash that I can purchase some VG Nic stock.

I'll be interested in your further experience with PEG-400.

PS As well, the distaste I previously had with VG doesn't seem to be there with this mixture.

Well as I said, I don't yet know how that PEG400 that I mixed will turn out; it's steeping, which seems to be necessary for DIY even more than pre-made juices. So in the meantime, I'm attempting to use the VG Virginia I have, but diluted quite heavily with water -- which is double-reverse-osmosis filtered, so I figure it's nearly as pure as distilled, at least sufficiently for vaping. I don't theoretically object to using some PGA, however my husband and I are both recovering alcoholics, and when I mentioned it to him as a possible means of diluting VG, he said, and I quote, "ixnay on the iquorlay". :D Since I'm having good results by lessening the amount of sodium I'm consuming, I don't think I would add saline to it either. The water seems to be doing very well; I'm just switching back over to vaping slowly, using an ejuice mixed to no more than 40% PG, while watching my feet and ankles carefully, to see if the problem returns.

When I do know something more about the PEG400 batch, I'll post it in the other thread, since that thread is specifically about using PEG400 in DIY.

Andria

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands
It's wasn't a dirty word I was offended by, it was a gross word- more like nauseating. People who use such words at every turn, are unlikely to be invited to a State dinner. That's for sure. Maybe it's a cultural thing with me .....
The world can be a pretty gross place, so I rather call a spade a spade, unless a formal environment forces me not to. Like that State dinner for example.

But yes, cultural differences no doubt. Just like with curse words. Here in my country it's generally no big deal when you curse, and such words don't get bleeped on television either. Most Dutch forums do not have word filters, and most people don't self-censor words by replacing a letter with a *-symbol. Does that mean I live in a country of savages where people have lost all ability to be nice to one another? Nah, not at all. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: hairtrigga

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
The world can be a pretty gross place, so I rather call a spade a spade, unless a formal environment forces me not to. Like that State dinner for example.

But yes, cultural differences no doubt. Just like with curse words. Here in my country it's generally no big deal when you curse, and such words don't get bleeped on television either. Most Dutch forums do not have word filters, and most people don't self-censor words by replacing a letter with a *-symbol. Does that mean I live in a country of savages where people have lost all ability to be nice to one another? Nah, not at all. :D

It seems to me that, Europe being so much more crowded per square-whatever, many if not most Europeans have had to get over being so easily offended with each other; here in America there is still so much of the "frontier" mentality -- "well I'm gonna get my gun!" -- anytime someone says or does something that offends them. Someone here in the forum has a sig line about their being no right to not be offended -- I just love that! So many people in America seem to think that just because they're offended by something, that means everyone everywhere ought to stop doing it. :facepalm: You know, kinda like the ANTZ. :D

But I'd have to agree; gratuitous use of that particular word is quite distressing; it's bad enough used in context, as I've done more than once when describing my illness, but to just throw it around willy-nilly... well it's just unpleasant, and really rather uncalled-for.

Andria

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands
It means you are living in a country where people do not get easily nauseated... I'd leave the matter alone since I do not wish to hijack the thread.
Alright, I'm with you on that. Time to let it rest.

And that was an interesting perspective, AndriaD.

Last edited:

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Nice that you took the time to share this Andria :)

It very well illustrates that if someone already takes medications or does other activities that cause dehyration that person will need to be especially careful to avoid dehydration.
In addtion to not vaping while you were in the hospital, I am sure they also had you hooked up to an IV which will keep you hydrated.

For those who cannot tolerate sports drinks... You can add some type of powdered drink mix to make the water more palitable. I am not a fan of water but I havve gotten over that since vaping.
Eating a Banana once a day is also good to keep your electrolites in balance (which are thrown off when dehydrated)
it's past bed time for me, so I only skimmed the thread....

Bananas have great water content and are especially good for restoring potassium that has vanished with dehydration. You can also try watery fruits such as cantaloupe, watermelon and strawberries. Watery vegetables such as cucumbers are good, too. Also any drink that helps to replace electrolytes is good. Lemon water, orange juice, the afore mentioned coconut water and sport drinks, etc.

mistike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Chiming in...

I've always been a camel. I don't drink much, mostly because I'm almost never thirsty. I do drink a ton of (black) coffee, which probably explains why. I've known for a long time that I don't drink enough and I do live with some of the symptoms. Leg and feet cramps being the worst. My urine is also very dark, and my legs swell a lot after some time spent at my desk.

I know that. I know I have to drink more water. I try to, but I Just can't seem to do it. I don't think about it and even having a bottle or sip cup right in front of me at work, I have to force myself to think about it and do it. So I'm still pretty much dehydrated. Good thing I tend to drink a lot at the gym, probably keeps me alive lol.

I've also had my legs swell at the end of the day, or if I stay at my desk all day without moving. It's worse at home than in the office.

I've just started taking a medication that is a diuretic and may elevate potassium blood levels. So I HAVE to drink - still can't, not enough. I vape higher PG - anything above 50%VG makes me cough and gives me a heavy lungs feeling. And yes, since I started vaping the leg swelling has gotten worse, but then it's always worse in summer, so who knows.

I only drink water or lemon water. Hate flavored drinks, unless they're 100% fruit juices, but you can't drink that all day long. Won't let a sports or energy drink anywhere near my body. So I need to go and buy some coconut water, see if it helps. I'm not a huge fan but I can always dilute it.

TheColdHandedVG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
New York, USA
AndriaD, are you sure that your ankles swelling is a dehydration issue? My mom had the same thing happen to her and it turned out to be a very severe thyroid problem called 'Graves Disease'. She also had her appendix taken out when she was younger as well. I know you said that you don't really have the means to see the doctor for every little thing, but what you describe can be very severe and can lead to death if it is actually a thyroid issue that goes untreated.

EDIT: Have you ever noticed any eye puffiness? The thyroid issue my mom had caused her right eye to basically bulge out and she had to have cosmetic surgery to correct it after a few months on medication. If you are having any eye issues along with the swelling in your ankles and feet there may be a much more serious issue than dehydration. I do remember that it took a few weeks to a few months for any eye problems to start showing up after the ankle swelling.

Last edited:

TheColdHandedVG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
New York, USA
Why wouldn't dehydration occur with heavy smoking? Of course, it likely does for some, but why would we start noticing this as vapers?

My answer to that question is that we are now realizing we are healthy people and so when a little thing pops up, it is treated bigger than it was when we smoked (heavily).

I believe I have read somewhere that PG can lead to dehydration. I have also read that PG in high amounts can lead to lactic acid buildup in certain muscles and can cause same issues that way as well.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
AndriaD, are you sure that your ankles swelling is a dehydration issue? My mom had the same thing happen to her and it turned out to be a very severe thyroid problem called 'Graves Disease'. She also had her appendix taken out when she was younger as well. I know you said that you don't really have the means to see the doctor for every little thing, but what you describe can be very severe and can lead to death if it is actually a thyroid issue that goes untreated.

EDIT: Have you ever noticed any eye puffiness? The thyroid issue my mom had caused her right eye to basically bulge out and she had to have cosmetic surgery to correct it after a few months on medication. If you are having any eye issues along with the swelling in your ankles and feet there may be a much more serious issue than dehydration. I do remember that it took a few weeks to a few months for any eye problems to start showing up after the ankle swelling.

Never any eye puffiness, unless you count when I was 20 and had an abusive boyfriend. ;) That didn't last long -- I mean really, can you imagine ME putting up with an abusive boyfriend? :D

Anyway. They did a blood test to check something in my thyroid, just about 10 yrs ago, because of my severe depression and early onset of peri-menopausal symptoms -- it was 100% normal. And my doc does insist on a routine blood panel every couple years, just to make sure that the various levels of all the various stuff are within normal bounds. It always is, though once my cholesterol was a tiny bit elevated, for which he advised Cheerios, since there are no complicating factors such as hypertension, diabetes, or obesity. My weight stays fairly steady, right around my ideal weight with just a little gain over the dratted holidays, which I take off again in the first 3-4 month of the year; energy levels also fairly steady, unless I've just spent 4 days in bed with nothing to eat.

Really, people. Other than the very mild asthma and the appendix that just insisted on coming out, I'm very healthy. I'm not in denial, or an anti-hypochondriac. I am that very unusual middle-aged person who is not overweight, not diabetic, who eats healthy, doesn't drink at all, and is actually healthy -- though the dehydration was beginning to compromise that healthiness. Maybe the only thing I could do more of, is exercise, and yeah, that really might be a factor with the swelling, so as soon as summer cools a bit, maybe in August, I plan to start taking some walks. Right now all it would do is induce COPIOUS sweating, and that really wouldn't help at all. :D

Andria

Reactions: hairtrigga
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread