Dental changes with vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I heard that vaping in the U.S. is a $2billion industry now. Not sure how much of that is profit but I hope that they invest some funds into research. It'd be great if there was an organizition that specialized in prioritizing what studies need to be done and in what order. It won't look good if the producers only sink funds into marketing and R&D for their own products. Then, like with big tobacco, people would have a valid point in accusing big vapor of ignoring health concerns for profit.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
vaping pulls moisture directly from our mouths. If you press your firing button and watch the vapor that comes off your wick, its not very much. Blow that same wick and much more vapor can be seen. Now try putting it in front of your heating duct and see what happens. Still not as much as when you bring it into your mouth and blow it out. Thats because a tiny bit of vapor goes into our mouth, the Propylene Glycol and VG grab the moisture in our mouths, and it merges with it and takes it with it when we blow out the plume. It literally takes our mouth's moisture with it when we blow it out. So you MUST drink more water if your a vaper, because if you don't, it will literally steal your saliva, and that can possibly wind up giving you .... mouth.

The reason drugs cause dental decay is not the actual drugs, its actually 100% their drying of the mouth. You can look this up if you'd like. I'm sure you've all seen the commercials for [moderated] right? Well, they get that because it dries their mouths out. We need saliva. Saliva isn't spit, its an alkaline chemical slurry that our bodies create and secrete from a gland in our mouths. It contains electrolytes, anti-bacterial substances, anti-fungal substances, it also contains amylase, an enzyme that breaks down carbohydrates and fibers. Our teeth NEED the chemicals and substances in our saliva or they go through rapid rot. Water doesn't suffice, although water, salt, and electrolytes and proteins are all needed by our bodies to actually create saliva.

I haven't seen it explained that way before. It makes sense. Thanks.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
I heard that vaping in the U.S. is a $2billion industry now. Not sure how much of that is profit but I hope that they invest some funds into research. It'd be great if there was an organizition that specialized in prioritizing what studies need to be done and in what order. It won't look good if the producers only sink funds into marketing and R&D for their own products. Then, like with big tobacco, people would have a valid point in accusing big vapor of ignoring health concerns for profit.

That 2B figure might sound large but divide that up between the various retailers and it isn't really so much. Compare that to the 35 billion PROFIT made by tobacco companies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
How old are you? We reach a certain age where everything starts to speed up a little as far as hair and teeth deterioration.

I was going to go with the "you're old" answer.

Before I started going to other doctors and getting meds for other things I had improvement over smoking. Since going on the meds my gums have taken a slight nose dive.

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
I agree. Further, we're basically the guinea pigs for the vaping industry. Until there's more concrete research completed, it's vital that we share our health experiences, both good and bad. That's a large part of what makes this community important.

Angiebubs

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2013
Amery, WI
Wow-came back to 3 pages of information-thanks all! SO to answer the questions:

I am 43 years YOUNG-don't think its the age deal

I was actually one of the lucky ones with smoking-my teeth always registered on the tabs they showed people of where they could get with using the proff whitening (think this had to do with my paranoia while smoking; I didnt want my daughter to know I smoked-so brushed and gargled like a feen!)

The weird thing is-Ive been vaping for 2 years....this cavitie issue has all been in the past 6 months....since I have increased my vaping time while decreasing the nicotine level and I know that the liquids I use are the cleanest additive free I can find-I am leaning towards this being a dehydration issue.

Yes I do clench my teeth but that has been an issue since my teens-and enamel still looked great on xrays per dentist.

Lombaowski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
DC via the 313
My teeth are whiter but my gums bleed badly now. Why? Because the tar had created a wall on my gums for 20 years and just now I am feeling the real effects. So I am getting a periodontal deep cleaning next week, and after that I hope the problem will subside. Gum health is part genetics and part care, so the combination of smoking and probably bad gums in my genes isn't serving me well at the moment.

basylica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
I didn't goto the dentist for like 10 years (hey, I was young and broke and uninsured and all that jazz) and had 2 babies and spent a lot of time sleeping and not brushing when I had downtime.....added into my 12pk a day habit of mt dew in my late teens early 20s, added into being predisposed to dental issues (mom has her dentist's home phone number) added into being a smoker, sucked my thumb until I was 12, and being a gnasher. I don't grind persay, I literally open and close my mouth and slam my teeth together in the middle of the night....well...it aint good.
I went and had a boatload of dental done and only addressed one side, I recently got a mouthful of tooth and have a pretty obvious gap in a molar again, and I should have had my one root canal crowned 2 years ago and have been neglecting going :(
I know I have another 5-6K in dental to do...blah.

but the crazy thing about cavities are not only do your teeth hit a critical mass point where everything starts to go, but also once you get bacteria going on....its a party. I had 2 crowns and 2 fillings done on my lower left molars because I had a cavity and metal filling done when I was 9, the tiny bit of actual tooth showing and the area where metal filling was pulling away from tooth after 20+ years cause decay....and since I hadn't been going to dentist....the decay spread left and right.....and all 4 teeth had issues.

but its probably a combo....vaping isn't any worse than smoking re dry mouth really.....it tends to be an age/dry mouth/bad habits catching up to you type thing.

I also say that my teeth and gums have been feeling much better since I started....but I still need to goto dentist. I really ought to try and get in on this cal year and use a bunch of benefits so I can get a big chunk taken care of in 2013/2014 and get most of it done....but I really don't want to go so I keep putting it off.

I also wore braces and my teeth were fine eventho I didn't wear retainers like I ought to, had no movement and I could pop in retainers for several days if there was....then I got pregnant with #2 and my teeth moved like crazy overnight and now its causing issues with my bite and the nighttime gnashing (hence root canal and some of the damage, I keep breaking teeth) so I need to redo braces once I get all my cavities taken care of, probably do a deep clean on tartar, and I was a aggressive brusher with a firm brush and caused gum erosion on my top left where i'd always hit first when brushing :( blah.

Angiebubs

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2013
Amery, WI
All right-here is a fuzzy pic of my teeth right smack in the middle of a POD habit 3 years ago-See? White!

And no gum bleeding. Relieved to know its most likely from not drinking enough-something I can work on.....

Basylica: I also had braces-and had my wisdom teeth removed 3 years ago-major shifting every since!!

Attachments

• teeth.jpg
    teeth.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
If anyone is experiencing severe tooth decay, enough to be noticed within a year or two, see a dentist immediately. Everyone is different and the propylene glycol and VG can effect all of our mouths differently. Biotine sells a product that stimulates the saliva glands. If you'd like, there are also many herbs that stimulate the saliva glands. I believe parsley and celery are some that help with oral hygiene.

Last edited:

NiNi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Paulden, Arizona
Drink lots of water, use Biotene, and try a product called "Spry", it is actually a "dental defense system". It has xylitol in it which actually promotes good mouth health. Check it out:Spry Dental Chewing Gum, Tooth Gel & Toothpaste, Mints & More

and....possibly early onset of "old lady's disease", your hormones and all that go wonky on you, a possibility if you had your tubes tied.:blink:

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I am 43 years YOUNG-don't think its the age deal

I don't think it works like that. You can call it what you want but your body has 43 years of wear and tear on it, welcome to middle age. If you haven't already you're going to soon start to wonder how people manage to put up with "this" for 40-60 more years.
Consider what 43 years of brushing has done to the thickness of your enamel. That had to hit the breaking point some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread