The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

diagnosed w/ COPD

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by nampla, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. nampla

nampla Senior Member Verified Member

The ex wife.

We have been divorced for 20 yrs and remain to this day great friends. :toast:

Our oldest son text'd me this am that she was, as the title states, diagnosed w/ COPD.
    She turns 57 this month and has been cig smoking I would guess would be going on at least 20 + years.
    Dont know how many packs a day.

So,
    I ordered her a Kanger EVOD starter kit from Desert Vapes today since they are local and hopefully will get it tomorrow.
    She dosent know I know and that I have ordered this for her. I was at her house a few days ago and was showing it to her and she seemed very interested.
    She's a RN by the way...

Any thoughts from others who might have experience in COPD and using a eciggy? Has it helped? etc, etc....

2. CommaHolly

CommaHolly Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Plant City, FL
    sigh, good luck,,,,I'm sorry to hear this about your ex-wife.

My MIL has cancer and COPD, and frankly, it's the COPD that's going to kill her,,,,I tried for months to get her onto e-cigs. No go,,,,,

she finally did quit, though,,,,,,,,,,just because she can't take 2 puffs of cigarettes and breathe any more,,,,,

I know I've seen a few people with COPD here, though, who are doing very very well on e-cigs, and I hope they chime in :)

3. 440BB

440BB Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    I helped a friend's aunt who suffers from COPD and still couldn't get off the Parliaments. Although she always wishes for something that tastes just like them, she hasn't smoked in over two years.

If she really wants a cigarette taste, non menthol, I'd get her some Halo Torque56. It's the closest thing I've found to that taste, and I keep it around for when I'm seriously wanting a smoke. About 10 puffs and I'm all set.

Good job helping another person get healthy!

4. nampla

she seems very open to try 'em...probably even more so now.
    I haven't talked to her yet...she's having a rough year with allot of things.

5. CommaHolly

Jun 22, 2012
    Plant City, FL
    it's nice that you still care about her that much,,,,,,,

so many divorced couples don't.

6. nampla

we've know each other since we were around 13, married for 18 years, 5 kids.

We had our anger period, which lasted some 5 years...
    I'm glad that we're good friends, with kids & grandkids, it sure makes everyones lives much more...shall I say...calm.

7. Berner

Berner Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 2, 2013
    Niskayuna,NY,USA
    I have mild COPD and have been able to stop my inhaled bronchodilator since I switched from cigs to vaping. I no longer wheeze or get short of breath and it has only been 2 1/2 months for me. My cardiologist tells me that the pulmonary function improvements can be delayed, but I have noticed clear benefits already. Unfortunately some of the lung damage may be permanent especially in the emphysema type of COPD, so stopping the cigs ASAP is critical. Best wishes and good luck to your ex.

8. wv2win

wv2win ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 10, 2009
    GA by way of WV
    I know a Pulmonologist who advizes his patients with COPD and still smoke to try vaping as an alternative, if that helps any.

9. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    I hope she takes your gift to heart and accepts the challenge. I only wish I had the opportunity to help my mother before loosing her to COPD in 2006.

Wishing you and yours the best.

10. CommaHolly

Jun 22, 2012
    Plant City, FL
    I'm sorry :(

11. Ld3441

Ld3441 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 29, 2013
    Florida, USA
    My sister in law also has COPD along with many other reasons she needs to give up the smokes. She has never been able to. Now seeing that I have done it she is showing interest and I couldn't be happier. I am giving her a start up kit I have and taking her Saturday to a local vape shop that just opened to get her some juice she likes. I think your ex will have to want to for it to work. Best of luck to her and I hope she is soon smoke free. It can only get better from there.

12. CaliforniaGirl

CaliforniaGirl Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh, how sad. :(

It's beautiful that you thought of her and are trying to help her.

13. yellowsnow

yellowsnow Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2013
    New Mexico
    My thoughts and best wishes to you and your ex. I pray she follows your lead.

14. Patkid

Patkid Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 15, 2013
    Rockford, IL
    Just want to say that everyday saints walk among us.
    Blessings.
    Pat

15. KjAthena

KjAthena Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2013
    Tampa Bay
    two of my local converts have COPD...
    One was on oxygen 24/7 and still smoking. Her Dr was fully behind her switching to vaping but advised she go with higher PG juices. Now 6 weeks later he is amazed at the rebound she has had. Her inhalers are needed 1/2 as much already and he says she can cut down to oxygen while sleeping and only use it as needed during the day.
    The other was not quite as advanced and has had a harder time switching completely...she has cut down on her inhaler use and says she feels better. We will find out how much her lung function has improved after her next appointment :)

16. Ld3441

Sep 29, 2013
    Florida, USA
    Do you know why the doctor suggested higher PG juices?

17. KjAthena

KjAthena Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2013
    Tampa Bay
    Yes actually as I went to her Dr with her to the appointment where it was discussed (I was the vapeing "expert" LOL but I did have studies and reports to give him) The Dr was concerned that a juice containing high VG may cause fluid to build in her lungs because they were compromised, but felt PG would assist in warding off infections. It seems he did look into the effects and felt comfortable as PG was used in inhalers and pumped into the air systems of the hospital where he worked for over 8 years.

So we went with his suggestion and she vapes 80/20 or 70/30 juices

18. Ld3441

Sep 29, 2013
    Florida, USA
    Thanks! I will use this as I guide when I take my sister in law on Saturday.

19. OlDogNewTricks

OlDogNewTricks Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 21, 2013
    Venice, FL
    I have early onset COPD and vaping has made a huge difference. I actually climbed a flight of stairs without being winded today, after about 3 months. Blew me away! Give her a good starter rig and be supportive. Might want to point her here so she can see how it is working for other people. The hardest part is getting over the learning curve and the 'weirdness' of vaping in general. IT works! Best of luck to her and you.

20. Iffy

Iffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    WOW, can't 'member givin' soooo many 'likes' in one thread dis early on!

Dere are many dramatic testimonies throughout da ECF as to COPD/emphysema/et al! As fer my history, just 'search 'Iffy' and 'x-rays'.

All I'll say at dis point is DON'T give up on dose ya care for or can assist! I know I'll not live forever. BUT, I DO know dat my remaining vapin' days will be of a grander quality than with 'bakky!!! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.