Dicodes setup for TC or manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    I just got a dicodes by Madbeard mods with 60watt chip.
    I’m having problems finding a good tutorial or manual on settings for tempeture control.
    I know how to scroll through menus but being used to dna has got me used to graphs to find steady temperatures.

If you know of any tutorials or decent manuals please post.
    I like the way it vapes and seems to be much easier on batteries than my dna mods?

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

CAAB

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    I went off the manual myself. After a little trial and error I got my settings dialed in. My problem was that the SS wire I use does not match the SS profile Dicodes set. So I had to do a custom profile.

What I did was first use the Resistherm wire that came with my mod to find out what temperature I liked to vape at. Dicodes is paired well with Resistherm wire.

Then I did the same build with the SS wire and set the temperature the same. I adjusted the custom profile to match the feel of the vape with the Resistherm.

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    What manual did you use?
    Did it happen to be this one?
    https://www.cremedevape.com/WebRoot/Store/Shops/yxve46fvrnud/5823/07F4/E41D/C318/035F/0A28/1056/5A5E/Dicodes_BF60_manual_preliminary.pdf
    The menu scrolling method can get aggravating but I’m all thumbs.
    I tried SS and I didn’t see any selections except other.
    I think I’ll vape SS in wattage mode and then see if I can use my wattage as part of the preheating setup.
    I did notice that the dicodes seems to read the resistance in one menu and then asks to confirm it as it chooses a temperature or wattage?Does that sound familiar?
    I’ll try some Resistherm wire for I heard it shines with dicodes.
    I just need to put my time in and read the manual.
    Thanks

CAAB

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    I think this is the right manual.My menu agrees and it’s better than I expected.

I have a Dani Box Mini and a Dani Box 21700, so I am not familiar with the BF60, but that looks right.

Before I go into some things I just want to say that when I first used the Dicodes menu, it really frustrated me. I had to sort of keep it simple stupid initially. But then once I got comfortable with it, I branched out. So just keep at it and take a break if you need to. You'll get there.

RESISTHERM wire is a bit expensive but I’ll give it a try.

I am thinking about getting that wire one day, but I only used the sample that came with my mod to get my settings down.

Another thing you could do is use a DNA mod if you have one and find the temperature you like and then transfer the same atomizer to the Dicodes and set the same temperature, then adjust the temperature coefficient setting in temp control of your Dicodes to match the feel of the vape on your DNA. That way you don't need to buy the Resistherm.

What I mean by setting the temperature coefficient setting in temp control is as follows from the manual you are reading:

When HCtrl is set to 1, the menu directly jumps to the selection of the wire type. Here the user can select between dicodes-wire (NiFe30), Nickel 200 (Ni), Titan(Ti), Tungsten (W, Wolfram), Stainless Stell (Inox) and “Other”. With “Other” selected, the temperature coefficient defined in the Extended Functions Menu under item “Tmp. Cof” is used. The value of the selected coefficient is displayed behind “Wire”.

For commonly used wires, the predefined coefficents are: NiFe30=320, Nickel200=620, Titanium=350, Tungsten=440 and Stainless Steel=105. Note that there are different alloys for Titanium and Stainless Steel on the market, so the predefined values can deviate from the actual wire-value you use. In those case it is preferable to choose Other” as the wire type and set the value of the wire in the extended functions heater Menu “TempCof”. The range for the coefficient is 050 to 650.
    I did notice that the dicodes seems to read the resistance in one menu and then asks to confirm it as it chooses a temperature or wattage?Does that sound familiar?

Yeah. Every time you put on a new atomizer, you have to read the resistance on it. The trick is to do this at room temperature if you can. If the atomizer is cold, like in winter, and you read the resistance, it is going to be a hotter vape than what you might think you are going for. Or vice versa, if the atomizer was used recently, and you read the resistance while it is hot, you are going to get a cooler vape than you like. You can always tweak the temperature if you don't want to wait for the atomizer and mod to reach room temperature.

For my mod, you have to go to T.Cal and then select that. It will say Init, which is like saying, "are you sure?" So you have to select it again for it to say "Process." Mine says Confirm afterwards, not sure if yours will. Then the resistance is set.

As for the wattage in temp control, that is going to be what the starting wattage is before you get up to temp, then it is going to throttle the wattage down to keep you at the right temp. Just like the DNA.

There are other fancy functions like preheat and all that, but honestly I haven't delved in that deeply myself yet. I have just sort of been happy where I'm at so far. It's nice reading the manual again though, there are things I forgot about that I wanted to try.

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    Once I got a feel for the buttons I can scroll through the menu more easily.
    It is simplier than it first looks and over half the menu is display choices or selections that have nothing to do with temperature or power settings.

Ill try SS first with TC and so far I’m using kanthal and SS in wattage mode.
    The dicodes wire is 22.00 bucks a roll and a small roll at that but if it’s great and easy to work with it’s probably worth it.
    I’ve messed with different types of TC wire and it can be aggravating at times.

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    The manual needs a bit of work for it doesn’t say anything about what buttons to push during calibration stages.
    I found out it’s the middle button of what increases or decreases values then it says process but screen goes dark before I see any values unless I push power button,then I see results.

I’m getting a nice tc vape and after increasing temp to 210 it may read between 190-205 during a long vape.
    So I think I got settings close enough and haven’t burnt any cotton.
    Definitely different than a dna and simplier so far.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    You might want to ask here NEW Dicodes Dani Box Mini

There are pretty many Dicodes mod owners in that thread.

Yeah, not a bad idea. A lot of those folks helped me get going.

The manual needs a bit of work

I know what you mean. I also asked the vendor I purchased my mod from some newbie questions when I first started and they were helpful. I don't know if that is an option for you. Although I'm sure there are people on that Dani Box Mini thread here on ECF who probably use the BF60 chip.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    I just ordered some dicodes temp wire and l am curious to see how it vapes.

Yeah I should probably pick up a roll myself. It would take me more than just one build with the sample wire to formulate an opinion. It's NiFe30 wire essentially. No good for wattage mode, just temp control. There is another vendor that sells NiFe30 for less money but it's different in some way and might not be as accurate with the Dicodes profile for Resistherm.

My limited experience with it is that it's a little less springy than SS and a little squishier as well, but not impossible to work with by any means.

• Informative
    Reactions: Tor R

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    With Dicodes mods there are two places you need to go to get custom wire to work.

The first is the heater menu where you can dial in your custom TCR. The second is to select "other" as the wire type.

With TC mode all the preheat stuff is useless.

Personally, I find that the "temperature init" menu/feature a neat thing that Dicodes and Yihi powered mods have. It reads the coil resistance and locks that value in. (other chipsets require a 2nd step of setting a lock feature)

g.

• Informative
    Reactions: Tor R

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    I have been vaping on dicodes wire now for several days and it’s super easy to set up.
    I basically put the coil in,clicked on init,confirm and after tightening up coil leg screws a bit later been vaping on same battery since.
    I don’t understand how it works but depending on how long of vapes I take it regulates both temperature and wattage and temperature of vape stays constant.
    It’s very easy on battery life.
    I’ll have to reset my counter and see how many cycles I get per battery charge.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I have been vaping on dicodes wire now for several days and it’s super easy to set up.
    I basically put the coil in,clicked on init,confirm and after tightening up coil leg screws a bit later been vaping on same battery since.
    I don’t understand how it works but depending on how long of vapes I take it regulates both temperature and wattage and temperature of vape stays constant.
    It’s very easy on battery life.
    I’ll have to reset my counter and see how many cycles I get per battery charge.

Personally, my measure is remaining juice in the tank. In my mind in a perfect world (or perfectly matched setup) the battery would need to be changed about the same time the tank needs to be refilled. In that way they both could be serviced at the same time.

g.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2019
    New York

TC works by reading the coil resistance. Certain metals change resistance as they heat up, so you can determine what the temperature is by the resistance at the time. Other metals like kanthal don't change resistance as they heat up, which is why they don't work for TC.

It's also why it's important to get a good "room temperature" reading before you use your mod. It needs a baseline resistance reading.

Did you try stainless steel wire for any length of time with temperature control? If so, how is the Resistherm compared to stainless steel in your opinion?

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    I’ve used kanthal,SS316 and divides.
    Dicodes is much more efficient.
    I’m using a 0.4phm coil at 245C and it pulls from 14-18watts.
    It’s a 11 turn 2mm coil in a skyline rta.
    Very close to clouds.
    I will continue using dicodes wire.
    Battery lasts 2-3 times longer.
    I reset counter with new battery and am curious to see results

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread