Did I hear Dr Oz correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibbu

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
Denver, CO, USA
I usually don't watch TV anymore because it just upsets me, and today's experience, well, leaves me veryveryvery upset.

I think I just heard Dr. Oz say that today's electronic cigarettes are one of the worst 2013 medical innovations (paraphrased) because they contain anti-freeze, market to young people and have sweet flavors (I forget specific ones mentioned). Addirionally, he had a list I only saw for a flash, but it seemed to say e-cigs have carcinogens. He stated these things as current facts.

Hasn't all of that stuff been dispelled, except for the flavors? Or, in the case of carcinogens, did any peer-reviewed science come forward?

I still wonder about college professors when I see a modern article quoting something a few years old without siting specific sources of scientific evidence that has been peer-reviewed.

I smoked for 41 years and stopped "on a dime" when my batteries were fully charged. I use sweet flavors. I have lost the bad health side-effects of smoking for so long. If 2013 minus 1957 is 56 then that's my age (having a senior moment). I have learned to admit it out loud when I want a smoke, then say out loud, "And that's why I have my PV!" My family likes this so much I get to vape anywhere, anytime, though I do stay clear of babies, pets and such. Oh yeah, almost forgot, e-cigs showed my that I have a sensitivity to PG, and reducing that in every other part of my life is proving positive. How can all this be bad?

I guess I'm feeling a tad defeated.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Here is his blog. It makes a veiled attempt at balance...but then really falls apart at the end.

Weighing the Evidence on Electronic Cigarettes | The Oz Blog

Are they safe?
Much about the safety of e-cigarettes remains unknown as they have not yet been thoroughly studied. They do lack many of the toxic chemicals and byproducts found in tobacco smoke, but an FDA analysis found that some e-cigarettes contain carcinogens (cancer-causing chemicals also found in tobacco cigarettes) and chemicals like diethylene glycol that are also found in antifreeze. The vapors may also contain some potentially unsafe metals. The amount of nicotine that these cigarettes supply is also unreliable, so consumers can’t be completely sure how much they are getting with each breath.

Alarmingly, e-cigarette use by our nation’s teens more than doubled between 2011 and 2012, and the wide variety of available flavors is making them even more appealing to children. Studies suggest e-cigarettes may actually provide a gateway into nicotine or tobacco addiction, which is why children and people who do not smoke should never use them. About half of states have passed laws restricting the sale of e-cigarettes to minors, but in many states there are currently no age restrictions.

There we go. The Gateway argument, the marketing to kids canard, puking up the misinformation from the FDA website, etc.

If he described them as "worst 2013 medical innovations", then he is completely mistaken. They have "evolved" in 2013, but they are not an "innovation" of 2013.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
Thank you. I was afraid my paraphrasing from memory might be way off the mark, so I really appreciate the link!

Keep in mind his first job is as an entertainer. The doctor stuff is what he once did. I will have to give him credit for being fair and balanced. Anyone note that the article right under the e-cig one was a rant against flavored coconut. I guess he would really have issues with coconut flavored e-juice!

Jibbu

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
Denver, CO, USA
Here is his blog. It makes a veiled attempt at balance...but then really falls apart at the end.

Weighing the Evidence on Electronic Cigarettes | The Oz Blog

There we go. The Gateway argument, the marketing to kids canard, puking up the misinformation from the FDA website, etc.

If he described them as "worst 2013 medical innovations", then he is completely mistaken. They have "evolved" in 2013, but they are not an "innovation" of 2013.

Thank you, EddardinWinter. I swear, the generalizations can be overwhelming!

Jibbu

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
Denver, CO, USA
Keep in mind his first job is as an entertainer. The doctor stuff is what he once did. I will have to give him credit for being fair and balanced. Anyone note that the article right under the e-cig one was a rant against flavored coconut. I guess he would really have issues with coconut flavored e-juice!

LOL You made me burst out in laughter and my cat jumped!

Diogenes

Moved On
Nov 5, 2013
Justice, IL
The biggest problem is how high-profile he is, he has his own show. And it doesn't matter what he says, if he's got his own show, people will believe what he's saying is the truth.

My question is how many shows out there have said that ecigs are better than smoking? Maybe if we had people other than Jenny McCarthy and Stephen Dorff saying that vaping is safer than smoking, we might be in better shape?

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
The thing to me is, imo i dont use electronic cigarettes...
I use a personal vapor.. Its an alternative nicotine delivery system.

I manufactor 70% of my own nicotine flavors in my own kitchen, so i know exactly what is in my body.

My outlook on this may be wring.. But i dont feel its the same.

On the other hand electronic cigs, such as blue. Njoy, whitecloud, all of which were a gateway to vaping.....
I have no idea what is or isnt in those devices.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The biggest problem is how high-profile he is, he has his own show. And it doesn't matter what he says, if he's got his own show, people will believe what he's saying is the truth.

My question is how many shows out there have said that ecigs are better than smoking? Maybe if we had people other than Jenny McCarthy and Stephen Dorff saying that vaping is safer than smoking, we might be in better shape?

The show "The Doctors" did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread