Did I ruin my battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilvapie

Aug 24, 2014
South Carolina
Nothing in my post is contradictory
and, IMHO, it's better information for n00bs than "use what came with your battery". A lot of stores just throw a generic 45A 510 charger in with the battery and it's not necessarily the one the manufacturer recommends. The key part of my post was where I said "The key to being safe is looking up the specifications of your battery, taking note of not only the voltage rating, but what the recommended charge rates are." If you want n00bd to be safe with Lithium batteries, then the first step is to teach them about how they work. Trust me went I say that these batteries are nothing compared to what we deal with in the RC world. People's houses and cars have burned to the ground from the Lithium batteries we use due to unsafe practices. I am extremely aware of the danger, I'm extemly safe when charging them, and the last thing I would do is give out incorrect information about safe practices. If I wasn't, then I wouldn't have invested close to $1,000 into my charging setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I want you or anyone to answer those previous questions, And I don't want to get off subject, but how did you invest 1k into your charge setup? That's extreme.

All I have is a 650 smok vv twist. Will I be fine with the ego USB I just got from them today (they pulled it out of the ce4 starter kit) and the wall converter they have in stock for that setup? That really is the final question there.

Thanks all

chargingcharlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2014
MA
I want to thank you all for taking time to help.

I am starting to realize the guys at the vape shop act like they know it all but they are worthless. I have been using a evod clone charger and asked if that was fine to charge with they of course said yeah. So now I have a few questions.

-Someone a post or two back said that USB charging in a computer can be a problem?

-my battery took hours and hours to charge before, I don't have the other wall converter
On hand to look at but some said It have been taking too long which could be a problem? Now I'm confused. And they said the iPhone converter is perfectly fine to use? I'm getting mixed advice but kind of am getting this down now guys. If I look at the numbers and make sure I'm using the wall charger I'll be fine.

So I'll just get the vape shop wall converter. I have the ego USB right now that I just got today so I should go back to them and get their wall converter to be sure.

So I was ganna use my computer to charge it tonight, no go on that you guys say? The guy at the vape shop said it was fine, you know, the guy that is one of the know it alls. Lol

The guy at my local B&M only wanted to show me what he called the "nicer charger" I asked why it was nicer and he said "it has a nicer display on it". I said "yeah, but what charge rate does each charger have per port, and what is the max overall output when both ports are being used. He didn't seem to know what I was talking about so I showed him the specs on each box and explained how the chargers work and how/why charge rates matter for different types of batteries. The chargers used for ecigs are very basic "dumb" chargers. I personally like to see the level of the battery, how much goes back into it, and I like to check the IR from time to time to get a feel of when the battery is starting to go downhill.

chargingcharlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2014
MA
Hey I want you or anyone to answer those previous questions, And I don't want to get off subject, but how did you invest 1k into your charge setup? That's extreme.

All I have is a 650 smok vv twist. Will I be fine with the ego USB I just got from them today (they pulled it out of the ce4 starter kit) and the wall converter they have in stock for that setup? That really is the final question there.

Thanks all

Yes, you're fine with that for a 650mAh battery. The charging setup I have is for my RC batteries which need a much higher output, but I also use it for single ell batteries when it makes sense. It's just a high-end charging setup that has a lot of options. It even graphs out the charge cycles so you can see what is going on with the health of the batteries.

Here's an example of a graph of a healthy 3 cell LiPo
c2980362ef07296f060c1d29bd89dcd1.jpg

And a graph of a 3 cell LiPo that is in pretty bad shape.

4b9086e234715da7e587cba271369455.jpg

You can see the difference in how it raises in voltage throughout the charge and the IR is really bad in the 2nd set of graphs.

Lilvapie

Aug 24, 2014
South Carolina
and, IMHO, it's better information for n00bs than "use what came with your battery". A lot of stores just throw a generic 45A 510 charger in with the battery and it's not necessarily the one the manufacturer recommends. The key part of my post was where I said "The key to being safe is looking up the specifications of your battery, taking note of not only the voltage rating, but what the recommended charge rates are." If you want n00bd to be safe with Lithium batteries, then the first step is to teach them about how they work. Trust me went I say that these batteries are nothing compared to what we deal with in the RC world. People's houses and cars have burned to the ground from the Lithium batteries we use due to unsafe practices. I am extremely aware of the danger, I'm extemly safe when charging them, and the last thing I would do is give out incorrect information about safe practices. If I wasn't, then I wouldn't have invested close to $1,000 into my charging setup.

Don't use the computer's USB port for charging, the ipad Wallwart is totally safe if you use the proper cable. There is no such thing as a vape specific power supply. The USB to ego charging cable is what has caused problems when the wrong one is used.

Here's the problem. I think I read that those little starter batteries take 3-4 hours to charge, I have a twist 11 watt it's not a very small battery by any means. So how could it be safe for that smok battery to charge in two hours from fully dead?

So they gave me USB from the ce4 starter kit, is that fine to use? An older dude that seems like he knows his stuff was there and I asked if that USB charger was fine for the smok 11w and he said yeah. So now you say the iPhone wall wart or what ever you guys call it lol is fine?
Again 2 hours to charge a battery, that if I remember correctly, says it should take 8 hours to charge right on the box it came in!

chargingcharlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2014
MA
Is it possible it could be putting out any less or more watts now than it should at a giving setting?
Just noticed that nobody answered this question. No, that isn't possible. A battery will always give you the power you request from it. The charging of a battery has no effect on what it can output at similar states of charge.

Lilvapie

Aug 24, 2014
South Carolina
Nothing in my post is
contradictory and, IMHO, it's better information for n00bs than "use what came with your battery". A lot of stores just throw a generic 45A 510 charger in with the battery and it's not necessarily the one the manufacturer recommends. The key part of my post was where I said "The key to being safe is looking up the specifications of your battery, taking note of not only the voltage rating, but what the recommended charge rates are." If you want n00bd to be safe with Lithium batteries, then the first step is to teach them about how they work. Trust me went I say that these batteries are nothing compared to what we deal with in the RC world. People's houses and cars have burned to the ground from the Lithium batteries we use due to unsafe practices. I am extremely aware of the danger, I'm extemly safe when charging them, and the last thing I would do is give out incorrect information about safe practices. If I wasn't, then I wouldn't have invested close to $1,000 into my charging setup.

This shouldn't be complicated. Can I use the charge setup(wal wart and USB charger wire) that comes with those ce4 starter kits. Those kits have those tiny click batteries.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
I want to thank you all for taking time to help.

I am starting to realize the guys at the vape shop act like they know it all but they are worthless. I have been using a evod clone charger and asked if that was fine to charge with they of course said yeah. So now I have a few questions.

-Someone a post or two back said that USB charging in a computer can be a problem?

-my battery took hours and hours to charge before, I don't have the other wall converter
On hand to look at but some said It have been taking too long which could be a problem? Now I'm confused. And they said the iPhone converter is perfectly fine to use? I'm getting mixed advice but kind of am getting this down now guys. If I look at the numbers and make sure I'm using the wall charger I'll be fine.

So I'll just get the vape shop wall converter. I have the ego USB right now that I just got today so I should go back to them and get their wall converter to be sure.

So I was ganna use my computer to charge it tonight, no go on that you guys say? The guy at the vape shop said it was fine, you know, the guy that is one of the know it alls. Lol

I'll use my ego charger that I have laying around for example numbers.

Input: 5v 500mA
Output: 4.2v, 420 mA

The moral of the story is:

This dongle needs at least 500mA to operate safely, and

My battery wants at most 420mA to charge safely.

The iphone wall-to-USB can supply 1000mA, so no problem there. The issue is when something gives the charger less current than it wants: Say a shoddy laptop USB port only puts out 250mA. Then the dongle overworks itself, leading to excess heat, fires, etc. This is bad, and probably why people advise against laptops (although to my knowledge, all USB ports on a computer put out 500mA standard, but I'm not positive. I almost always used either my laptop or desktop to charge egos and 510's, and nothing bad ever happened).

I have a 2nd dongle for a 510/cigalike. It only puts out 250mA, and using my ego charger would supply more current than my 510 battery wants: This could cause the battery to heat up, maybe catch fire, explode, etc. That's why people tell you to match the dongle that came with your battery: It had better not put out more current than the battery can handle.

If your old dongle put out less than the battery wants, that's fine. It would indeed take longer, and be perfectly safe.

I'd use the iphone wall-to-USB and not give them any more money for chargers and charger accessories, but that's just me :D

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
instead me trying to derail the thread with "attacking" posts - to the OP, can you post a picture of ALL the items you have and trying to charge?

ego-fast-usb-charger.jpg

as long as you use this charger (which should have came with your ego kit) to charge your ego, it should not matter what style of wall wart you use. just do NOT plug it into your usb port of your computer/laptop.

ego-usb-rapid-charger-wall-plug.jpg
a picture of a generic wall wort.

Lilvapie

Aug 24, 2014
South Carolina

I must have missed this post. Thanks for answering I figured it was fine just double checking.

So do think using the iPhone wall wart charged it too fast? I mean they should take 5 to 8 hours to charge from dead not two hours like I did today with the iPhone wall wart lol

chargingcharlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2014
MA
Here's the problem. I think I read that those little starter batteries take 3-4 hours to charge, I have a twist 11 watt it's not a very small battery by any means. So how could it be safe for that smok battery to charge in two hours from fully dead?

So they gave me USB from the ce4 starter kit, is that fine to use? An older dude that seems like he knows his stuff was there and I asked if that USB charger was fine for the smok 11w and he said yeah. So now you say the iPhone wall wart or what ever you guys call it lol is fine?
Again 2 hours to charge a battery, that if I remember correctly, says it should take 8 hours to charge right on the box it came in!

It's really just simple math. A charger with an output rating of 450mA will charge a 450mA battery at 1C and a 4500mAh battery at 0.1C. A basic guideline is that a 1C charge rate takes about 1 hour for a full charge. So, that charger would take close to 10 hours to charge a 450mAh battery. Smaller single cell lithium batteries can take a charge rate of 0.5C - 1C so that charger is right in the middle for your 650mAh battery (0.69C). It should normally charge your battery in just under 2 hours at that rate. But, if your box says it should take 8 hours then I would look up the battery specifications and verify what the max charge rate of that battery is. Of thats correct them it would mean that it has a max recommended charge rate of 80mA which seems REALLY low. I'd be surprised if that is correct. Even the tiny little 1 cell 70mAh batteries I have here can take a 0.5C to 1C charge rate.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
No, not complicated, it's just that we don't know the exact combination of pieces that you have, and would hate to steer you wrong.

The wall wart is to change the wall outlet 120 AC to 5 VDC just like a computer USB2 port has.

You need (and have) a charging cable. You screw your battery on one end, and the other end plugs into the 5 VDC source. The charging cable for your battery (650 twist from your first post) IS the charger. The wall wart is NOT a charger. So it's fine.

Your charging cable for that size battery should have an output of 430 - 450 mA listed on the nameplate. Lower will work, but will take longer to charge. (But you can't put smaller batteries on that charger, as they will charge too fast, with maybe very bad results!)

Those conditions being met, you're good to go. 2 hours to charge a 650 is pretty reasonable. If it took longer before, than something changed. Maybe just a poor connection before when you charged.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
instead me trying to derail the thread with "attacking" posts - to the OP, can you post a picture of ALL the items you have and trying to charge?
Yes, this. Make sure to get the numbers in there :)

just do NOT plug it into your usb port of your computer/laptop.
This part I don't understand. Is there any reason not to use it on a computer? Is because of that virus stuff I've been seeing 1000 threads about, or is there a physical safety reason?

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA

This part I don't understand. Is there any reason not to use it on a computer? Is because of that virus stuff I've been seeing 1000 threads about, or is there a physical safety reason?

It's because if you burn out your wall wart, you can buy another one for $3. If you burn out your laptop's USB port, well... That's a little harder to replace. Especially if you fry the motherboard. Why risk it?

chargingcharlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2014
MA
LilVapie, I think you misread the box. The specs say "8-10 hours of battery life" and 3-4 hours charge time with the 450mA dongle. Those dongles may slow the charge rate down at a lower charge capacity which would account for the extra time. I think the 2 hours you got is still pretty normal though. Especially if the charger isn't regulating the input to its exact specs (which is likely)

fb93a38ed9fa95549cb80e72aab09a27.jpg

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest

saftey first.

if you go through all the news about exploding charging ego batteries, they all stem from people plugging them into the usb port. - just from the statistics alone i rather stay away

anyone correct me if im wrong - but 5v USB is not standard on EVERY computer/laptop.. some i beleive are less voltage and some maybe even more.

chargingcharlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2014
MA
It's because if you burn out your wall wart, you can buy another one for $3. If you burn out your laptop's USB port, well... That's a little harder to replace. Especially if you fry the motherboard. Why risk it?

^this^ a lot of laptops only output 100-500mA. If yours outputs less than the 500mA the dongle needs then it will overload the USB port and will burn out the laptop power supply.

chargingcharlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2014
MA
saftey first.

if you go through all the news about exploding charging ego batteries, they all stem from people plugging them into the usb port. - just from the statistics alone i rather stay away

anyone correct me if im wrong - but 5v USB is not standard on EVERY computer/laptop.. some i beleive are less voltage and some maybe even more.

5V is standard for USB ports. The problem is the current they output can be anywhere from 100mA to 500mA depending on your model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread