Did VPR magazine cross a line or does sex sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica

I have been reading VPR since the first issue. Did VPR magazine cross a line or does sex sell? Image might not be safe for work so putting the unedited picture bellow the page break. As I said in Ecigjuicereview G+ group" [FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]I think it is cool to show hot girls and nice ecig mods but part of me thinks that it might give the people that want to make vaping illegal take it out of context." Click here to read more about the war on ecigs. To see the full image click here warning it is PG 13. [/FONT]

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
Yes .. sex does sell, but only to pigs. Since its first issue release I have had a serious problem with the fact that there is a sexualized image of a woman featured on the cover of every issue, which I think is disgusting. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they are doing this. What was more shocking was to find out that there is a female Editor behind this cheap trick.

I am all for celebrating the beauty of a Woman, as I hold her in the highest regard. But I am not for soley using the feminine image to sell ecigarettes, which is not a celebration, it is degradation.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I am all for celebrating the beauty of a Woman, as I hold her in the highest regard. But I am not for soley using the feminine image to sell ecigarettes, which is not a celebration, it is degradation.

At which point does it stop being a celebration and become degradation?

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Not Appropriate

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
They got your attention and got you talking about their magazine. You don't have to like it, but you can't say it doesn't work. I wonder if the model that's getting paid to have her picture put on a magazine cover feels degraded?

Not quite, this is literally the second discussion I've engaged in about it, the first was when the mag was first released early this year. Beyond that the magazine is far from being on my radar, or a topic of regular discussion, and for this reason.

As far as the model on the cover, I doubt very highly she feels degraded, or that she even understands what that means ...

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
When someone uses the image strictly for profit and gain. :glare:

Wouldn't that mean all people in advertising are degraded? Is the model is degrading herself? I assume she was paid for the ad.

As far as the model on the cover, I doubt very highly she feels degraded, or that she even understands what that means ...

Isn't it degrading to believe she is stupid based on her beauty?

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas

Implying the model is not smart enough is quite duplicitous.

On the one hand you (rightly) find the objectification of women in advertising disgusting but on the other you are quite willing to indulge similar stereotypes that models might not be intelligent enough to understand the concept.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
When someone uses the image strictly for profit and gain. :glare:

Soooo....If I made money off the e-cig industry, had a membership to an e-cig forum, and my forum profile contained some very provocative pictures of myself...

The thing is Smann, in Nikkita's pictures (I particularly liked the one in the bra and the one in which her .... starting to peak out) it's just a celebration of the beauty of Woman. If she had a mod sticking out of her panties, it would be a degrading attempt to sell something using sex.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
The thing is Smann, in Nikkita's pictures (I particularly liked the one in the bra and the one in which her .... starting to peak out) it's just a celebration of the beauty of Woman. If she had a mod sticking out of her panties, it would be a degrading attempt to sell something using sex.

I had no idea what you were talking about.

*click* *click* *click* ah... oooooo, ahem, er OK.

I get it. *like*

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Yes .. sex does sell, but only to pigs. Since its first issue release I have had a serious problem with the fact that there is a sexualized image of a woman featured on the cover of every issue, which I think is disgusting. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they are doing this. What was more shocking was to find out that there is a female Editor behind this cheap trick.

I don't have a problem with scantily-clad hot girls to sell things, even e-cigs, but they ought to take into account that women use e-cigs too, and give us equal time...

dorff.jpg

This appeals to me a great deal more than scantily-clad women! :D

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread