Different Cottons for different wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Hey guys, Can I ask, why does the tightness of the wire around the cotton affect the flavor or the durability of the cotton wick? and another question, does the cotton wick have less vapor production? because I noticed that the vapor is lesser than the last wick I used, which is silica.

If vapor production is lower try smaller gauge kanthal/nichrome. I don't use anything lower than 33 awg kanthal for that reason and I get fog machines every time.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Experiment. Experiment. Experiment. My first cotton wicks were way too big and the coil too tight for them. I'm finally building my coils at about 5/64th inch and having much better luck with them. I think I'm about to settle in at ~2 ohms also. I've tried from 1.4 to 3.0 ohms. The higher ohm coils worked ok on my vv device but not on my bolt. The low ohms seem to work for a lot of folks but not for me. It caramelizes and cooks my juice too fast.

If you like flavors that gunk your coil (like vanilla and caramel for example) then that needs to be taken into account. If you notice the low ohm coil builders, they often vape unflavored. If you like the heat, then give some thought to unflavored or clear flavors that don't caramelize too fast.

I personally prefer relatively cooler vapor with good flavor. I also go by upper lung sensation more that throat hit. I'm down to 6mg nic now, and you're not going to get much th from that lol.``

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
Many many thanks to the OP and all of the contributors to this thread! I have been reading it like a juicy novel over the past few days, and am now super-stoked and fairly confident on finally trying my hand at rebuilding my mini vivi. Cotton rounds are what I am most interested, and I am confident I get how to make the wick- now to get an ohm meter (my cell phone mod is not protected so I don't want to risk killing it) but I haven't been able to figure out what gauge kanthal to get- the ohm chart or whatnot that I keep seeing posted as a reference makes Z-E-R-O sense to me whatsoever(!!)

Any ideas? My setup is a puck style mod, 4 AAA so should be pushing just under 5v, and the stock head that I have on it right now is 2.8ohm.

ETa: not sure if this factors in, but the juice I use is about 10/90 so it gunks my coils very quickly

Last edited:

VClouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2011
Seattle
Many many thanks to the OP and all of the contributors to this thread! I have been reading it like a juicy novel over the past few days, and am now super-stoked and fairly confident on finally trying my hand at rebuilding my mini vivi. Cotton rounds are what I am most interested, and I am confident I get how to make the wick- now to get an ohm meter (my cell phone mod is not protected so I don't want to risk killing it) but I haven't been able to figure out what gauge kanthal to get- the ohm chart or whatnot that I keep seeing posted as a reference makes Z-E-R-O sense to me whatsoever(!!)

Any ideas? My setup is a puck style mod, 4 AAA so should be pushing just under 5v, and the stock head that I have on it right now is 2.8ohm.

ETa: not sure if this factors in, but the juice I use is about 10/90 so it gunks my coils very quickly

Had a similar question for the head in a protank.

I measured the wire in a factory head of a Kanger Protank at .027mm or .009in which works out to about 32ga for my kanthal wire.

Hope this is helpful

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY

I'd recommend 34 ga kanthal and 6 or 7 wraps around a 1/16 inch diameter nail, drill bit, or other smooth object. 32 ga. will work but you'd need more wraps and you don't have much space to work with. Wrap you coils very close to each other, even touching (they won't short out).

Twist the cotton to keep it together and to reduce the diameter to pull it into your coil, then untwist a little once installed. I also like a helper wick like in this photo. (I use much smaller wicks than shown in the photo.) http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ivi-nova-rebuild-tutorial-18.html#post7074093

Some more pictures. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...nt-cottons-different-wicks-5.html#post8189335

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes. :vapor:

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
Ugh! Hold the phone...went to order my kanthal, was looking at my mini...realized its already cracked (it's like 2 weeks old) SO I don't want to order one of those again...trying to be cost effective here (!) Would I follow the same 34gauge and 6-7 wrap procedure if I got myself a Ce5?

ETA: I promise I am not attempting to hijack the thread lol I am trying to get to the point of using the cotton wick! I was all excited til I noticed the dang crack!!

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Ugh! Hold the phone...went to order my kanthal, was looking at my mini...realized its already cracked (it's like 2 weeks old) SO I don't want to order one of those again...trying to be cost effective here (!) Would I follow the same 34gauge and 6-7 wrap procedure if I got myself a Ce5?

ETA: I promise I am not attempting to hijack the thread lol I am trying to get to the point of using the cotton wick! I was all excited til I noticed the dang crack!!

Bummer on the crack. Did you drop it by any chance or use a juice that cracks them? I think you can order replacement tubes if you want to go that route. I don't have personal experience but I think the vvn is supposed to be fairly durable, but make sure it's vision as there are clones out there.

I have the smok redux which is similar to the ce5. I like them but I'm down to two from the original four because they don't seem to survive a drop well. Not bad drops either, both cases was just knocking my pv off my desk, but the redux cracked down at the bottom ring and started leaking.

I also have the dream 804 which uses the vvn tank. I've dropped them a few times and they've survived ok.

Yeal, the 34 ga should work well with cotton in about anything. It's a good compromise between durability and resistance per inch of wire.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Last edited:

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
Bummer on the crack. Did you drop it by any chance or use a juice that cracks them? I think you can order replacement tubes if you want to go that route. I don't have personal experience but I think the vvn is supposed to be fairly durable, but make sure it's vision as there are clones out there.

I have the smok redux which is similar to the ce5. I like them but I'm down to two from the original four because they don't seem to survive a drop well. Not bad drops either, both cases was just knocking my pv off my desk, but the redux cracked down at the bottom ring and started leaking.

I also have the dream 804 which uses the vvn tank. I've dropped them a few times and they've survived ok.

Yeal, the 34 ga should work well with cotton in about anything. It's a good compromise between durability and resistance per inch of wire.

The mini I have is not a Vision, I know that for sure. I am fairly certain I haven't used any tank-crackers, just some fruits (blueberry, strawberry...some cheesecakes, and a whole lot of RY4D blends (love em!) I did have a drop yesterday, but it was off my recliner on to carpet, so if that was what made it happen then dang!! It's fairly cracked up the more that I look at it- not leaking yet though so it's still in service for now.

Anyhoo, the place I got my mini from doesn't sell replacement tubes, I found a place that sells then pretty cheap but didn't want to pay the shipping just for a few replacement tubes lol. I went ahead and ordered 3 Ce5's, have 100ft of 34g kanthal on the way, and gonna get some cotton rounds tomorrow and boil 'em up. I am probably a bit more excited about this endeavor than I should be lol.

Thanks for the help and I'll be back with (hopefully) my success story :)

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
Since it has more cracks let's blame the blueberry (we've got to blame something, right?) :)

I'll try to post some more on how I rebuild my reduxes when I get the chance. (They're killer the way I do it :vapor: )

Lol!

Stupid blueberry. Crackin' my tank and stuff. (Lol)

Awesome- look forward to seein it!

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
Btw, blueberry IS one of the most well known tank crackers. Ask anyone in the diy juice section including me... lol. Could be from the drop you had but that blueberry, depending on the concentration used in the juice is a tank killer. You'd suprised how many flavorings will crack plastic. Somewhere in the diy juice section there is a long dedicated list being kept.

Last edited:

Sikario

Apr 13, 2013
Colorado
So been rewicking with fluffed and twisted cotton balls on my protank lately.. Sadly my last attempt must have been to thin or something it leaked horrendously. But the very first one I made worked far far better... This third one is a bit thicker as i tugged through until the coils were almost being moved by the tug of the cotton snipped it off and we will have to see what happens..

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Trying the cotton ball wicks. Why I don't know as the cotton/yarn wicks work great.... guess I just like to tinker. What ever did we do with our time before we became consumed with e.cigs???

The only issue I might have with cotton ball wicks. How to use the same amount of cotton each time. With the cotton/yarn I used one piece folded it over and threaded it thru premade coil. Then again maybe not an issue at all on cotton balls maybe alot of room for error. I rolled up a piece good and tight and pulled it thru premade coil. Working well

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
Btw, blueberry IS one of the most well known tank crackers. Ask anyone in the diy juice section including me... lol. Could be from the drop you had but that blueberry, depending on the concentration used in the juice is a tank killer. You'd suprised how many flavorings will crack plastic. Somewhere in the diy juice section there is a long dedicated list being kept.

Yes we were just having this discussion over there actually- my tid bit of speculation was that percentage matters as well. I had no problem with a blueberry blend with a lower percentage of blueberry, but the juice I was using when I noticed the etching, i realized, was a straight blueberry that I had mixed much too strong in one of my early DIY attempts.

However it seems I have accidentally derailed the thread.

I hate being "That guy".

SO!! "We are gathered hee-a ta-day ta talk about sum cotton!" :)

My stuff should be here soon- while my mini is still pluckin along, cracks and all, I plan to rebuild it.

....guess I just like to tinker. What ever did we do with our time before we became consumed with e.cigs???

Cleaned my house :D Seriously though- never thought about it but you're right! If I suddenly didn't have all this to play with I might have to start...ummm...well, cleaning my house! :p

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
So been rewicking with fluffed and twisted cotton balls on my protank lately.. Sadly my last attempt must have been to thin or something it leaked horrendously. But the very first one I made worked far far better... This third one is a bit thicker as i tugged through until the coils were almost being moved by the tug of the cotton snipped it off and we will have to see what happens..

Experiment with a helper wick if you haven't done so already. Keep your coil small in diameter, with a small wick and then another small wick on top to provide enough material to prevent flooding. The reason to keep your coil a small diameter (1/16th, 5/64 at most) is so the wick can go through the slots without being chocked and still make good contact with the coil. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Another test on getting the right size is when you pull it out of the coil to rewick. You should be able to work it out without ruining the coil.

Sikario

Apr 13, 2013
Colorado
Experiment with a helper wick if you haven't done so already. Keep your coil small in diameter, with a small wick and then another small wick on top to provide enough material to prevent flooding. The reason to keep your coil a small diameter (1/16th, 5/64 at most) is so the wick can go through the slots without being chocked and still make good contact with the coil. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Another test on getting the right size is when you pull it out of the coil to rewick. You should be able to work it out without ruining the coil.

Its worked kinda well this time.. im getting a really heavy throat hit and a very very "hot" vape almost burnt like but im still toying with the wattage I want in order to get the best taste out of this cotton

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
Squeeeeeeeee!!! I got my kanthal and Ce5's in the mail, just so happened to have boiled up and dried out my cotton rounds yesterday...so here I go!!! :) I will have to rebuild my heads right off the bat bc they came with 1.8ohm's and I need them higher.

Wish me luck on my first head rebuild and I'll post my results!

ETA: ok started by cutting a cotton round in the tiny long circular snake-fashion I saw in a pic on here (but thinner) and I am rolling a piece....really not sure how I am going to get it thin enough to fit into a coil that will be wrapped around the 1/16 drill bi I have laying in front of me!! Would it work to hold the wick with the drill bit while I wrap the coil around it then slide the bit out?

Also- I think it was Jd1 that recommended 6-7 wraps with my 34ga...I am taking apart this 1.8ohm head, and I just counted 7 wraps on it...why? I expected to see less with it being a lower ohm that I am shooting for ( shooting for about 2.8-3ohm)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread