Different Cottons for different wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
Update: rebuilt again....but messed up so I'm going to have to do it AGAIN lol. I re-skimmed the directions above instead of actually re-reading them which was a mistake (I should know better), and I ended up putting it together with only 1 of the wicks instead if the 2 in the instructions. Pitiful, pitiful vape :( I assume it's because there is not enough wick in it. I have to wick the coil before I seat it in there, and can't get to the wick once it's in, so I will have to do a complete rebuild when I have the patience. Ce5's are not fun to rebuild evidently lol. So that's my lack of progress thus far :)

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
The small space does make it a little tedious but it gets easier once you do it a few times. The good part is being able to rewick the coil after you get it going. The 34ga kanthal should last you for weeks and probably months of use.

I need to figure out how to rewick without having to remove the coil.

I wanted to update my update and say after some more soaking, it's starting to vape beautifully!! No funky flavor, good vapor! I'm all happy-dancing over vaping cheesecloth lol!! Thank you!!

Wonder what will happen when I build one with both wicks like I was supposed to lol

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
The small space does make it a little tedious but it gets easier once you do it a few times. The good part is being able to rewick the coil after you get it going. The 34ga kanthal should last you for weeks and probably months of use.

I wanted to update my update and say after some more soaking, it's starting to vape beautifully!! No funky flavor, good vapor! I'm all happy-dancing over vaping cheesecloth lol!! Thank you!!

Wonder what will happen when I build one with both wicks like I was supposed to lol

ETA: spoke too soon- the vapor disappeared on me....

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Two wicks through the coil isn't necessary as one good fitting wick and one helper will work fine. The advantages are very small but worthwhile imo. The advantages are that it seems easier to get the two pulled in and, even more importantly, easier to pull back out without distorting the coil. My biggest mistake starting out was making my wick too big. They should be small enough to pull in very easy.

BikerBob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
VA

ETA: spoke too soon- the vapor disappeared on me....

Too little wick won't keep up with the vaping. Too much wick will get pinched, slowing the wicking. Takes practice to find the right size. I kept reading about keeping the wick thin, and ran into problems because I made it *too* thin. Then I hit the other extreme, and made the wick too thick, and it got pinched. I also found myself twisting the wick tight, like rope/yarn/thread, and it pinched itself.

Took me about a dozen tries before I figured out the right technique that worked for me. Currently using the cotton wick in a vivi-tank, which has the coil out in the open. Wound the coil using the drill bit method (I think I used a pen refill as the winding form), so I have a nearly perfect shape, and makes it real easy to insert a new wick through it. When it is time to change the wick, I snip the cotton tails off, leaving a small piece within the coil, dry-burn it a bit, and use tweezers and small dental brush (looks like a tiny bottle brush) to clean away the ash from dry-burning. Insert new wick, let soak overnight, and I'm good to go. Just took a lot of failed attempts to get to this point.

Keep at it, you'll get it eventually. It's worth the effort!

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
Would anyone care to post pictures of a wick before its put in the coil? Preferably cheesecloth? My single wick seemed like it was the right size, I was able to slide it in and felt a bit of tug, but not much. (This is stillthe one inmade last night)I laid my cheesecloth out and counted up 12 threads, and cut that off, then tried to roll it but ended up with more of a flailing cigarette-paper-folding action. It's still a bit gurgle-y and the vapor is pitiful at best. Maybe a pic would help me see. Sorry to be. "That Gal" that's just not gettin' it! Lol

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Would anyone care to post pictures of a wick before its put in the coil? ..........

Sounds to me like you're doing it ok or close anyway. I'd suggest pulling that wick back out and testing your coil. If the coil isn't sitting in the chamber straight enough to thread another wick through, I'd pull it and build another. How many wraps and what ohms are you at?

Start this video and about 5:00. Note that he prefers the loose weave. He's using a lot of cheese cloth but he's wrapping around it and a pin so it'll work ok, and you can try his method, but it's usually harder to pull the wick back out without disturbing the coil. I prefer wrapping the coil around a 1/16th inch nail or drill bit and installing it. The advantages of the smaller coil are discussed at length in the 'micro coil' thread.

GG Penelope with a Cheese Cloth Wick - YouTube

Here's the post where Mack shows his method. He changed that some and doesn't drill the slots anymore but you can still get some ideas from the pics. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...nt-cottons-different-wicks-5.html#post8189335

The pictures are a little blurred but you might still be able to get some ideas from them. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ictorial-evod-rewicking-cotton-recoiling.html

Last edited:

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
I GOT IT!!!!!! :) made my coil smaller (good-sized sewing needle), kept the 12-thread wick, used about a 4/5 or 5/6 wrap (hard to see). I think my meter is junk- it read 3.6ohm but I don't see how that's possible since I only CUT 2 inches of the 34g wire, which is 3.6 to start with, and trimmed some off so it should be less than that- idk there.

BUT!! It's vaping like a champ, the flavor is clean and amazing. I'm thrilled :) thanks for all the help, now I'm on the cotton bandwagon

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Cottonwick.jpg

I have been rebuilding my kanger coils for a while now using cotton balls. I usually just sit in my favorite chair and use new kanthal wire and insert the cotton in the coil. Been reading other ways so gave it a try. I just pulled out the cotton wick gave the bare coil a quick dry burn (was not very dirty). Inserted a new piece of cotton in the old coil and fired her up.

Just like new.... guess I can save 5 cents of wire and just replace the cotton wick...

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
View attachment 255037

I have been rebuilding my kanger coils for a while now using cotton balls. I usually just sit in my favorite chair and use new kanthal wire and insert the cotton in the coil. Been reading other ways so gave it a try. I just pulled out the cotton wick gave the bare coil a quick dry burn (was not very dirty). Inserted a new piece of cotton in the old coil and fired her up.

Just like new.... guess I can save 5 cents of wire and just replace the cotton wick...

That's a good looking build there. The cotton looks like it's up against the coils good but it's not flaring out when it exits the coil. Looks perfect.

Manwolf

Sep 16, 2013
So-Cal
That's a good looking build there. The cotton looks like it's up against the coils good but it's not flaring out when it exits the coil. Looks perfect.

this just gave me a EUREKA! moment.

I've been using far too much cotton - it flares out as it exits the coils on both sides in my Kayfun Lite. I've been burning the wick everyday and it's infuriating. using it between an eVic and a DNA12 VW wheel powered pipemod.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
this just gave me a EUREKA! moment.

I've been using far too much cotton - it flares out as it exits the coils on both sides in my Kayfun Lite. I've been burning the wick everyday and it's infuriating. using it between an eVic and a DNA12 VW wheel powered pipemod.

I think that's the number one mistake most of us make when switching to cotton. I know it was for me. The wick should slide in with just a hint of resistance, then I like to let it soak for at least two hours to let it swell up some. Another tale tale sign is when you go to pull the old wick out. It should be swelled enough to be harder to get out than it was to put in, but not all that hard and definitely should not distort the coil.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I vape my cotton wicks at 8 watts no problem (12 watts when I use my svd). I also throw away the rubber on the air tube.....dont use the rubber they wick great and do not leak

Is the svd a mech? I finally picked up a v3 from fasttech. It and my 804's are about all I use now. I do have the immortalizer clone coming from fasttech though. I'm hoping it'll be here next week sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread