Different Cottons for different wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporMizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
Wrap your coil with the wraps as close together as possible. The closer the wraps the less likely it's going to burn the cotton. You don't want the coil too tight around the wick either, you should leave room for expansion. Also that wick material looks like a tight weeve so definitely let it soak in the tank for at least 3 hours before vaping.

I totally believe you about tight spaced coils working on a tank system (and now I see the A7 is a tank...I thought it was a dripping Atty) but with a dripping atomizer I think you almost need the coils spaced further apart because the liquid is mainly dripped right onto the coil and it needs to absorb into the wick directly...only the excess gets wicked up. If the coils are too tight the liquid would not be able to soak in and all run off. That's my theory of why I was burning through wicks when my coils were tightly spaced, anyway. :)

Lakewell

Verified Member
Feb 24, 2011
North Carolina
Here is my coil and you can see how one side is burnt/gunked up and the right side is not. Do you have any suggestions on modifying this coil, or should I just do a dry burn and try again with a longer soak time? coil.jpg

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Here is my coil and you can see how one side is burnt/gunked up and the right side is not. Do you have any suggestions on modifying this coil, or should I just do a dry burn and try again with a longer soak time? View attachment 173188

It looks to me like your coil might be shorting to the top post. If it is, that would explain why it's not gunking up there. It's not a bad looking coil, and I'm sure it would work with silica, but I'm not sure how optimal it would be for cotton. If you can get the bit back in there, you could probably move it around a little and tighten the coils up a little.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Ok, put new wick in the coil and same problems. Here's the new coil, more wraps, it's soaking right now. Crossing my fingers.

View attachment 173232

Looking good, just make sure it's not resting on the center post.

Does the top of the pic show where the air comes in? If so, that looks a bit far away to me. I don't know enough about these different rbas to say for sure, but I do know that my dud vapes best with the air hole lined up directly in front of the wick. Moving it off center increases the harshness, and as little as a quarter of an inch will tear your throat out. If you have a screw hole up in that area or any way at all to move your wick closer to the air hole, I'd definitely give that a try.

Lakewell

Verified Member
Feb 24, 2011
North Carolina
Tried another new coil and it worked a little better, but the same result after a while. I think they teach this in vaping 101, but I should have suspected the juice. It's a darker juice given to the gunk, I think that might have been the problem, still not sure. I proceeded to make a new wick and coil and am using it with a different, lighter juice and it's working better.

I saw some videos on Youtube of guys using these and they basically become human chimneys. Don't know what type of liquid they're using, might be more VG than PG, and mine is 70% PG. They're also probably using silica, which I assume might make it a little easier. Still working on it, might just be learning curve to this RBA.

newjuice.jpg

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I saw some videos on Youtube of guys using these and they basically become human chimneys. Don't know what type of liquid they're using, might be more VG than PG, and mine is 70% PG. Still working on it, might just be learning curve to this RBA.

I'm thinking your wick might still be too big. Are you getting any good puffs from it at all? If you vape it down a little and then drip one drop, do you get good production for a puff or two? If so, that would indicate wicking problems. In any case, I'd experiment with a much smaller wick, and maybe some helper material that overlaps the main wick up to the edge of the coil on each end. Looks like you've got good room to work there and I'd say that once you get it down, you'll be looking just like the guys in the video.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Tried another new coil and it worked a little better, but the same result after a while. I think they teach this in vaping 101, but I should have suspected the juice. It's a darker juice given to the gunk, I think that might have been the problem, still not sure. I proceeded to make a new wick and coil and am using it with a different, lighter juice and it's working better.

I saw some videos on Youtube of guys using these and they basically become human chimneys. Don't know what type of liquid they're using, might be more VG than PG, and mine is 70% PG. They're also probably using silica, which I assume might make it a little easier. Still working on it, might just be learning curve to this RBA.

View attachment 173366

What type of battery are you using? Is it variable voltage? What voltage are you running? What ohms is your current coil?

Last edited:

Lakewell

Verified Member
Feb 24, 2011
North Carolina
I think the wick is fine, this wick has been the smallest of the lot. I'm using this on a Vamo. This coil is 2.6 ohms, running around 8 - 8.5 watts. Reading a comment on one of the youtube vids suggest unscrewing the RBA a little to position the air holes closer to the coil. That definitely made a difference. Today I'm going to make a coil and position it directly in front of the air holes. It's a little difficult to do this because of how the screw holes are positioned relative to the center screw. I'll post pics once I get it all put together.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I have three reduxes that I've started setting up with a cheese cloth main wick and a batten (cut from the rounds) over wick. I don't have it quite dialed in yet, as two out of the three is popping here and there. Not bad, but the third one isn't popping at all. I'll have to wait for a tear down to see if I can spot the differences.

My set up is similar to what's shown here, except my wicks are much shorter. (I'm used to tipping from my ce2 days lol.) http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-wicking-materials-vivi-nova.html#post7329950

Luv my reduxes. :vapor:

Mack shows part of his setup here, in case you haven't seen it. I don't bore the slots, but I'm making my wicks so small they don't need the extra room anyway. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...t-cottons-different-wicks-10.html#post8342057

Last edited:

Lakewell

Verified Member
Feb 24, 2011
North Carolina
New wick and coil soaked. It's finally vaping very nicely. Great vapor and flavor. The trick was getting the coil right next to the air holes. Yes, I'm an RBA noob. Only thing now is that I'm holding it so that the air holes and coil are facing down, which may cause leaking, but I can deal with that.

The clearomizer is ok. I believe the wick is too big because the airflow is not what it used to be and the vapor has a slight different taste. I wouldn't call it burnt, but burnt-like. Thanks so much for your guys' help. I love this thread. I spent a dollar and now have enough wick to last me a long while, with more easily attainable whenever I need it.

The touch.....the feel.....of cotton :vapor:

new-coil.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread