The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

different shapes

Discussion in 'Coil Builds' started by the dog, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. the dog

the dog Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2016
    Just wondering if anyone and I'm pretty sure someone has tried it but I'm wondering about different shape coils , I mean like an octogon shape or square I've seen oval just curious if they work or not or if its worthy plating around with that

• Like Like x 1
  2. Violetti Usva

Violetti Usva Senior Member

Dec 1, 2017
    I would imagine they are more prone to hotspots the more rigid each corner is, if you're still wrapping into coils I can't see an advantage to making some kind of prism rather than a cylinder.

However, I did experiment with making "coils" similar to the stovetop idea, except using clapton wire and instead of being a flat disc I tried to follow a sine-wave shape as I wrapped it so that the airflow could travel between the wires more easily. I'll take a picture of one if I can find one, I call them "sinusoidal spirals" rather than coils. The wicking was just a lump of cotton sticking out of each wicking hole, touching the outer edges of the "coil." Surprisingly it wicked okay - every 5 or so hits I'd unscrew the cap and screw it back on to push juice into the cotton and the clapton wire would pull juice along via capillary action

It kinda worked in that it produced a nicer feeling hit than regular coils on the same device, but I only did so because I was desperate to make the Ammit Dualcoil work for me, which I've given up on now anyway. I haven't bothered doing it with any of my other devices because they seem fine just with clapton-style coils. I'm thinking of toying with the concept again with the Mesh PRO RDA as that looks like the ideal layout for the coil, but then I may have to buy two if I can't decide between the sinusoidal spirals and just using a mesh!

EDIT: at the top of my post it says "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors." - is this because I'm relatively new here? Will I eventually not endure this? :p

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. entropy1049

entropy1049 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Avoiding sharp bends in current carrying wire is always best.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.