Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Paul Blair says the Senate will consider this bill this week. I hope he's wrong.

He isn't. :facepalm:

From CASAA earlier today:

S. 1253, which is the Senate version of HR 3842, is being fast-tracked through committee. This bill would prohibit the U.S. Postal Service from accepting packages of vapor products for delivery. While this is not an all-out ban on online sales, it would raise the cost of purchasing vapor products for people who depend on being able to have safer alternatives delivered to their door (i.e. people who live in rural areas, people who are unable to be home to sign for deliveries, etc…) by requiring signature on delivery.

Take Action - Click Here to Send a Message

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
If this bill passes, I don't think they will backpedal. Governments at all levels want e-cigs sold at brick and mortor stores only. They're far easier to tax that way.

I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but this bill is an amendment to the Jenkins Act. The PACT Act is also an amendment to the Jenkins Act.

It is indeed simply rolling vaping products into the PACT act which passed in 2010.

I am all to familiar with it as I order snus from Sweden. The PACT act makes it a big hassle to order snus online as it raised the price considerable. International UPS shipping is expensive and the required adult signature also raises the price. I started ordering snus in early 2009 and it was much like ordering vaping products today, but the PACT act changed all that.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
If this bill passes, I don't think they will backpedal. Governments at all levels want e-cigs sold at brick and mortor stores only.

That's nice - of course some of us are 70+ miles from the nearest B&M. Sounds like I need to double down on stocking up. I'm close but can't rebuild (bad hands) so I've been ordering 40 coils a month from Fasttech.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Man. I have to make a Snus order soon. Normally I hate doing it but I will do it happily now.

I did once go to the UPS store with some snus I was sending folks. had it in a very see through plastic bag and the guy saw "nicotine" and said he could not ship it via USPS.

I don't think he was really that informed. I mean.... Gosh. I went back later I the day with more opaque packaging and it was fine.

This is just getting… I am stocked up but I am IRRITATED. More like IRATE. Just in general.

I used to be a "tax it is better than ban it" person but the attacks are coming so quickly and from so many fronts, I am almost to the point where I am like, "BAN it, YOU mother:censored:, you just GO RIGHT AHEAD AND BAN IT, you won't get ONE red CENT from me."

Also, "I understand black and grey markets quite well and perhaps my métier now is to TEACH. Safety and accessibility will be my MOTTO.

And yes, I will finally realize my dream of joining (not the cigarette mafia they don't need more "help") but the vaping mafia and I will have a derringer in my garter like I have always wanted to have.
Ugh.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The below is probably a boiler plate response from my Congressman, but at least he acknowledged my input. Hopefully, his staff are accumulating and ranking input for his consideration.

----------------
November 18, 2019

Dear David,

Thank you for contacting me to share your views on vaping legislation and regulations. I appreciate you taking an active role in the political process. Having as much information as possible and knowing where you stand on issues helps me make informed decisions. I depend on thoughtful input like yours when it's time to vote. I will monitor the bills introduced in this Congress and will keep your input in mind if a bill on this issue comes to the floor for a vote.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to do so in the future. It's an honor to represent the Eighth Congressional District of Georgia.

In God We Trust,

Austin Scott

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
That one is so smarmy, It's a little creepy.

I like the " I depend on thoughts like yours when I vote." He does NOT"

Anna

Considering that he's in a district that includes my city, he's more likely to be swayed by the people who can vote him back in or out. That said, I'm not confident that there's enough concerned vapers in my district to cause him significant concern at election time. There are 14 districts in Georgia, with Atlanta containing the most significant population.

Georgia is the third largest in tobacco grower states, but that's a dwindling number as smokers quit. Corn and Soybeans probably top the list.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Considering that he's in a district that includes my city, he's more likely to be swayed by the people who can vote him back in or out. That said, I'm not confident that there's enough concerned vapers in my district to cause him significant concern at election time. There are 14 districts in Georgia, with Atlanta containing the most significant population.

Georgia is the third largest in tobacco grower states, but that's a dwindling number as smokers quit. Corn and Soybeans probably top the list.
Actually I think that's probably the most intelligent form letter I've seen posted. He doesn't commit or alienate.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Actually I think that's probably the most intelligent form letter I've seen posted. He doesn't commit or alienate.

He positioned himself well with his response. He didn't say he would introduce the bill, just that he would consider it if the bill appeared. His district is well entrenched with South GA tobacco farmers and he could lose some support if he came on strong for vaping and actually crafted legislation in favor of vaping.

"I will monitor the bills introduced in this Congress and will keep your input in mind if a bill on this issue comes to the floor for a vote."

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

And the Beauty of it is it Reduces the workload of the Staffer who prepare this response by 1/2.

Because that One response can be Sent to someone either For or Against the given issue.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
He isn't. :facepalm:

From CASAA earlier today:

S. 1253, which is the Senate version of HR 3842, is being fast-tracked through committee. This bill would prohibit the U.S. Postal Service from accepting packages of vapor products for delivery. While this is not an all-out ban on online sales, it would raise the cost of purchasing vapor products for people who depend on being able to have safer alternatives delivered to their door (i.e. people who live in rural areas, people who are unable to be home to sign for deliveries, etc…) by requiring signature on delivery.

Take Action - Click Here to Send a Message

9 million adult vapers not paying USPS to deliver packages would knock a hole in the bottom line for the Post Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread