Status
Not open for further replies.

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Round N Round the Mulberry Bush
Disclaimer: I haven’t been around in awhile so haven’t been keeping up with the latest and greatest news and stuff available but here’s my quandry:

I am presently using a Provari 2.5 with a 1.8 Ohm nautilus tank.

I have been using Efest 1600 and 2000 mAh Batts...as many of you may know, these are Button Tops.

I have been noticing that the Button Top IMR 18650s seem to be disappearing from the Market and seems to have been doing so for some time now.

Was hoping that AW would start producing again but at this point, I don’t think it is going to happen – its been too long.

There are some Efest 2000mAhs that I have purchased from Battery Junction but now I am starting to wonder exactly how old these Batts really are since I can’t seem to find them anywhere else anymore.

From what I understand, I should be able to use the Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mAh in the Provari, but I’m starting to suspect that everything is transitioning to Flat Tops and am afraid that eventually the aforementioned Samsung will no longer be around either.

I need to get a backup for my Provari anyway so I would like to get some suggestions on Mods that are built as well as the Provari just in case I have to retire it because I can no longer find Batts for it.

I’m all for progress but I find it hard to believe that Button Tops are being Discontinued (or whatever is going on, lol) since there are probably still devices that use them (sigh).

Any suggestions would be most graciously appreciated – the Price ceiling I’m giving myself is 150.00 :).
Prefer something relatively simple to deal with, not into Sub-Ohm/Temp Control/ect. yet.

Fire away.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Disclaimer: I haven’t been around in awhile so haven’t been keeping up with the latest and greatest news and stuff available but here’s my quandry:

I am presently using a Provari 2.5 with a 1.8 Ohm Nautilus Tank.

I have been using Efest 1600 and 2000 mAh Batts...as many of you may know, these are Button Tops.

I have been noticing that the Button Top IMR 18650s seem to be disappearing from the Market and seems to have been doing so for some time now.

Was hoping that AW would start producing again but at this point, I don’t think it is going to happen – its been too long.

There are some Efest 2000mAhs that I have purchased from Battery Junction but now I am starting to wonder exactly how old these Batts really are since I can’t seem to find them anywhere else anymore.

From what I understand, I should be able to use the Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mAh in the Provari, but I’m starting to suspect that everything is transitioning to Flat Tops and am afraid that eventually the aforementioned Samsung will no longer be around either.

I need to get a backup for my Provari anyway so I would like to get some suggestions on Mods that are built as well as the Provari just in case I have to retire it because I can no longer find Batts for it.

I’m all for progress but I find it hard to believe that Button Tops are being Discontinued (or whatever is going on, lol) since there are probably still Devices that use them (sigh).

Any suggestions would be most graciously appreciated – the Price ceiling I’m giving myself is 150.00 :).
Prefer something relatively simple to deal with, not into Sub-Ohm/Temp Control/ect. yet.

Fire away.
If you want to stay with a Provari tube mod, the Classic, P3, and Procyon models all work with flat top batteries. The Radius is a box style, but works with flats too. There was a vendor recently selling NOS Provi's (Central Iowa Vapers / iowaecigs ) but for some reason I'm not able to open the web site right now. Sometimes these show up on ebay at decent prices, but you may have to watch for a while.

Do you have preference for style (box/tube) in your next mod? You might check the tootle thread to get some more ideas. I'm still primarily a Provari user, but some of the other Provari fans have been loving on some other mods that sound like they are pretty comparable. They are a bit more than your budget, but might be worth a look.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I think I'd recommend the Ehpro Mod 101. Although it's not the easiest to use as it relies, like your Provari, on a single button for all the menus and firing, and has features you'll not use, it is quite nice and you should find the form factor familiar (22mm tube). The device will accommodate 18650, 18500, and 18350 batteries, and will fire up to 50 watts.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
A lot of people who used to use Provari's are now using the JAC Vapour series B DNA75Watts. It takes a flat top 18650. It's a very durable mod and is about the same size as a Mini Provari. Only available from their website based out of Scotland and goes roughly for $80 - $90. Excellent warranty and service like Provape had.

SERIES-B DNA 75W Vape Mod | E Cigarette | JAC Vapour website; order here.

JAC Vapor series B DNA75W review

JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75w It has its own sub-forum here on ECF should you have questions.

34283e97065d7a3588b0ca4c30fe39f9.jpg
images
images

At one time I had 4 Provari's. Now I have 2 JAC Vapour DNA75W. I also use Geekvape's Aegis Solo which takes a flat top 18650, it's shock-proof, dust-proof, and water-proof so it warrants a look see by you, too. I like both the JAC and the Solo, but my favorite is the JAC.

Aegis Mini vs Aegis Solo: Reviews

GeekVape Aegis Solo Mod
List Price: $49.99
Our Price: $34.99
star4.5.gif
(22)​

GeekVape_Aegis_Solo_100W_Starter_Kit_Orange.jpg

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

As you're aware, the Provari 2.5 requires button top batteries. Button top batteries are getting hard to find. AW doesn't look like it will make a return. You can usually find button top batteries by browsing the below battery vendors.

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
As you're aware, the Provari 2.5 requires button top batteries. Button top batteries are getting hard to find. AW doesn't look like it will make a return. You can usually find button top batteries by browsing the below battery vendors.

Are u still in here Bad ??

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Someone, please, correct my ignorance if I am wrong but isn't a button top longer? Wouldn't a similarly sized magnet on the top of a flat top be an adequate conductor? Especially the buckle plated ones?
That would not be a safe battery practice and is not recommended by most experts. What if you dropped your mod and the magnet became dislodged from its position. It could cause a hard short.

In the case of the Provari, the button top is required for the circuit board to function. The nipple fits into a cut out portion of the circuit board to complete the electrical circuit. It was how Provape prevented the user from orienting the battery the wrong way -- reverse battery protection.

provari---4416-2f82095.jpg

You can see where the nipple of a button top battery fits into the cutout (on the left) of the board to make electrical contact with the processor. A magnet wouldn't work effectively. In fact, if Provape could prove that you used a magnet on a flat top battery it would void their warranty.

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
That would not be a safe battery practice and is not recommended by most experts. What if you dropped your mod and the magnet became dislodged from its position. It could cause a hard short.

In the case of the Provari, the button top is required for it to function. The nipple fits into a cut out portion of the circuit board to complete the electrical circuit. It was how Provape prevented the user from orienting the battery the wrong way -- reverse battery protection.

provari---4416-2f82095.jpg

You can see where the nipple of a button top battery fits into the cutout (on the left) to make electrical contact with the processor. A magnet wouldn't work effectively. In fact, if Provape could prove that you used a magnet on a flat top battery it would void their warranty.
TYVM.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So, this post got me curious, as I'm known to get from time to time.
@Baditude , what are your thoughts on my logic that Murata is making button tops now apparently?
Sony | Murata VTC5A 18650 2600mAh 25A - Button Top Battery
My thoughts are that a middleman or end of the line supplier is adding the button top before being offered for sale to consumers. They are not being put on by Murata. Sony/Murata wouldn't have a reason to add button top batteries to their production line because all the batteries they make are intended for use only in a battery pack; there's no functional reason to add the nipple tops for a battery pack. They have historically shunned consumer use of their batteries outside of a battery pack, like we use them. Murata is certainly not putting nipples on their batteries for our benefit.

images

2015042519460251.jpg

sony-battery-jpg.529035

Last edited:

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
My thoughts are that a middleman or end of the line supplier is adding the button top before being offered for sale to consumers. They are not being put on by Murata. Sony/Murata wouldn't have a reason to add button top batteries to their production line because all the batteries they make are intended for use only in a battery pack; there's no functional reason to add the nipple tops for a battery pack. They have historically shunned consumer use of their batteries outside of a battery pack, like we use them. Murata is certainly not putting nipples on their batteries for our benefit.

images

2015042519460251.jpg

sony-battery-jpg.529035
Now this has me kinda wondering about the Samsung INR1865-30Qs I just bought.....it said on the Site that they were orginally Flat Tops.

Reactions: stols001

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Thank you all so much for your Mod/Batt suggestions - I am def looking at all that have been suggested.
I may get a couple (or maybe more, lol).
Down the Rabbit Hole I go, lmao.
By all means, keep going with suggestions - am loving what I have seen so far :thumbs:

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
This is from a promotional email from IMRbatteries that I received on August 16:
Button Top Batteries + 2 New Models
Perhaps you use button top batteries for your projects already? Or, you've been waiting to purchase more? www.IMRbatteries.com just received these popular button-top batteries:

Samsung 25R - Button Top; Samsung 26J - Protected Button Top; Samsung 30Q - Button Top; and Samsung 35E - Protected Button Top

We now have two NEW models → Sony VTC5A Button Top and Sony VTC6 Button Top

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest

I’m all for progress but I find it hard to believe that Button Tops are being Discontinued (or whatever is going on, lol) since there are probably still Devices that use them (sigh).

Fire away.
@JCinFLA posted about these batteries for ProVari users in another thread...

I'm just going to leave this here for any ProVari users who may be interested. They're from a Mooch recommended vendor, and are on sale for $5.99. The vendor ships very fast, too.

18650 Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh High Discharge BUTTON Top

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Once I googled how to add a button top to a flat top battery. Ended up on some flashlight discussion site. Lots of ways of doing it. The coolest idea I saw was to add a dome shaped blob of solder on top. Never tried it, looked like it would need a lot of skill.

Thing is, the flashlight folks seemed to have a big need for button tops. A lot of flashlights, especially with stacked batteries, needed some extra length to work properly. So it's possible there will be an ongoing market for them.

As for alternatives to the Provari I second the Jac.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Hi sweetie hearts. I've been taking notes to check other sites than our tried and true Orbtronics.

Just as an FYI, some of the battery vendors who offer button tops have what I'd call not "pure" button tops, but flats with a button welded on. That's fine for those who are ok with them. I would not be.

The site and battery you mentioned, SMT, might work for me but I will reserve judgement until I find out from them if the button is a weld.

So far, these sites sadly went onto my "no way" list:

Panasonic NCR18650B 3350mAh 4.87A Battery - Button Top $6.49
Please note this is an OEM Panasonic NCR18650B cell with a button top spot welded by a third party manufacturer. This cell has an additional wrapper and insulator which are not to be removed.

LG HG2 18650 3000mAh 20A Battery - Button Top $6.99
Please note this is an OEM LG HG2 cell with a button top spot welded by a third party manufacturer and this will make the cell longer than normal. This cell has an additional wrapper and insulator which are not to be removed.

BUTTON Top Samsung INR18650-30Q 15A 3000mAh 18650 Battery - Genuine - Wholesale Discount (Pink, $5.07)
Genuine Samsung 30Q 3000 mAh batteries with a low resistance button top welded on.

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Hi sweetie hearts. I've been taking notes to check other sites than our tried and true Orbtronics.

Just as an FYI, some of the battery vendors who offer button tops have what I'd call not "pure" button tops, but flats with a button welded on. That's fine for those who are ok with them. I would not be.

The site and battery you mentioned, SMT, might work for me but I will reserve judgement until I find out from them if the button is a weld.

So far, these sites sadly went onto my "no way" list:

Panasonic NCR18650B 3350mAh 4.87A Battery - Button Top $6.49
Please note this is an OEM Panasonic NCR18650B cell with a button top spot welded by a third party manufacturer. This cell has an additional wrapper and insulator which are not to be removed.

LG HG2 18650 3000mAh 20A Battery - Button Top $6.99
Please note this is an OEM LG HG2 cell with a button top spot welded by a third party manufacturer and this will make the cell longer than normal. This cell has an additional wrapper and insulator which are not to be removed.

BUTTON Top Samsung INR18650-30Q 15A 3000mAh 18650 Battery - Genuine - Wholesale Discount (Pink, $5.07)
Genuine Samsung 30Q 3000 mAh batteries with a low resistance button top welded on.
Hmmm - I just ordered #3 on the list :unsure:

Reactions: DPLongo22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread