Disappointing coffee extraction. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geofxc

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2012
Michigan
Okay, I'm still new to the forum and new to DIY, but bear with me.

My coffee extraction experiment #1

I took an empty spice jar, filled it half with decaf Folgers, and filled it up with pure VG. I then sealed the container and boiled for about 45 min. I poured the now black VG into an empty jar using sterile medical gauze as a filter (Which, by the way, was an excellent filter for course grounds). I then took my coffee VG and mixed it 50/50 with more pure VG, and mixed THAT 50/50 with 24 mg/ml PG. The result was very dark brown, and tasted like strong, slightly burnt coffee. The problem was that it clogged my wick in about two hours. And I mean clogged. Almost no vapor, AWFUL flavor, and the coil had a nasty black crust over it. It was promising while it lasted, but I feel like there is a long way to go before I have perfected my coffee extraction method.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
G

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
Nice to see you here so soon!

Check out the Coffee Flavor thread. Folks there are using a simple and quick extraction method with great results!

My first guess though, is boiling for 45 minutes is not necessary.
My second guess, is that your mix is too strong. Folks are using the coffee extraction as a flavoring, and adding very small percentages to PG/VG/nic mixes.
Good luck!

Edited to add: Here's the jist of it:

Fill 1/2 of a 30 ml GLASS bottle of ground coffee. Then top it off with PG and microwave for 10 seconds. (no longer). The Pg will absorb the coffee. Then top off again with pg, then place bottle in a hot water bath for 20 minutes. Strain mixture with a coffee filter. I used a funnel, and cut the filter to fit.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I use PGA for my extractions. I use approximately 1.5g of tea (finely ground) with 20mL of PGA and 6mL of PG. I put the tempered glass container onto an electric candle warmer. After an hour I add 10mL PGA. After the PGA is mostly (if not completely) evaporated, I strain the solids with a PTB inside a coffee filter. I then reintroduce the strained liquid to the candle warmer until I am left with only PG and the flavor from the tea. I use this as a flavor additive at up to 10%.

I think that by using VG you're getting a very thick syrup. Try substituting PG for the extraction. If PGA is available, it can only aid the process and it can be completely evaporated easily with heat. ** use NO flame... PGA is highly flammable/explosive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread