DIY Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ru42

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2010
Southern Calif
Greetings!

I noticed I had been asking a lot of question in the DIY Recipe thread and got to thinking that probably isn't the best place for question. I know there is a DIY section in the Forums but I like discussing with the PIF family - so here is our DIY discussion thread.

And to kick it off -

I am not sure what the heck I just made. I was using Marks TOB4 recipe and mine is a shade or 2 darker. I hate working with TA or more exact, dealing with TA and a plastic pipette. I just can't get a good measurement with it. I'd use a syringe but the bottle the TA is in is tiny and not even my .01ml syringe fits in it. Maybe I need to order a larger size and thus in a bigger bottle.

I want to recommend getting some little beakers. Mark sent me one to try out and I love the thing. I mixed the TOB4 in a snap. It has a 5ml and 10ml lines. Working with VG is a little difficult because of it's thickness. But the beaker made it a snap.

I filled to the 5ml line my nic juice. I added my 1.5ml of seedmans. And then straight from the VG bottle I brought it up to the 10ml line. All in all 1 minute tops. (The TA portion I wont go into.) :)

So, now I have 10ml of some sort or tobacco juice. I put some in a 6ml bottle and some in a 3ml bottle. To the 3ml I added 5 drops of red hot. I will let you know how it comes out.

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Sounds like good stuff. If it's darker you've got a bit more TA than me -- if it's slightly too strong a flavor, a bit more PG and nic will thin it out.

I've got a boatload of the 15ml beakers -- it was a 100-pack, and they do wash easily. I just use syringes for little 6 ml test mixing or for the flavorings -- eyeball using the beakers works for bigger mixing, dealing with things that are > 5 ml of a given component.

Happy to send you a dropper -- PA includes them for each bottle, so I've got spares (I only use them on the TA and Kona, the really strong things)

Last edited:

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
RU42....do you dilute your TA before using it? It's much easier to work with if you dilute it either in PGA or just plain PG.

Ya know what I love? Getting a package of flavorings that you forgot you ordered. Got a 6 pack of Cappella's in the mail today that I forgot I ordered last week.

What flavors did you get?

I don't like TA. I think it tastes yucky.:(

Bahnzo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Colorado
u lucky bass turd!!!! I want to order from capellas so bad!!!! LOL

Nah nah! <sticks tounge out>

I'm really finding Capellas to be the best flavors for many things. What I got:
Vanilla Custard
Caramel
Boston Cream Pie
Milk Chocolate Toffee
Cappuccino
Blueberry

Whipped up a 3ml batch at 20% of all and letting them sit a bit. But I cheated and tried the caramel (I haven't found a decent caramel yet) and it's pretty good....best I've found so far.

Bahnzo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Colorado
I don't like TA. I think it tastes yucky.:(

I get that, but personally I love TA. I mix the dilute at 1 drop per 2ml of PG, and then use it at 10%. It's actually a sweet tasting tobacco. I almost wish it was a harsher, more pipe or cigar tasting type, but it's still pretty damn good as a base for other stuff.

Bahnzo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Colorado
that caps.. van custard is the bomb!!!!!

Oh...and I should mention I got a kick ... deal on it too. They have the free shipping promo going on now, but they forgot to take down their other coupon promos. So I got free shipping, and 15% off since I ordered over $35. Basically got a free bottle w/free shipping as well. Can't beat that!

Nah, nah.....

Bahnzo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Colorado
to the moon w/ u... :p...dang whats the promo code??? LOL.. gonna have to do some beggin tonight!!!

They took it down.......I realized the next day what a deal it was, and was gonna post it in the Deals & Steals thread...but I went to check it and found they realized what a great deal it was, too. :)

Ru42

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2010
Southern Calif
I get that, but personally I love TA. I mix the dilute at 1 drop per 2ml of PG, and then use it at 10%. It's actually a sweet tasting tobacco. I almost wish it was a harsher, more pipe or cigar tasting type, but it's still pretty damn good as a base for other stuff.

That is a good idea, I should mix it down. Should I only use Everclear or would vodka so just as good (I have one and not the other.) I would assume (and please correct me if I am wrong) if I dilute it at 4 parts PGA to 1 part TA - then any recipe that calls for 4 drops I should then use 20? What I bought was 1ml vile from 1Stop (Tobacco Absolute (Blond) - One Stop DIY Shop Store). I figure I could pour that into a 6 ml bottle and then add in 4ml PGA.

I like TA but likewise, I would like something heartier, as you say pipe/cigar like. That is what I like about FSUSA Wyatt Earp. Have you found anything that is in that category?

Bahnzo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Colorado
That is a good idea, I should mix it down. Should I only use Everclear or would vodka so just as good (I have one and not the other.) I would assume (and please correct me if I am wrong) if I dilute it at 4 parts PGA to 1 part TA - then any recipe that calls for 4 drops I should then use 20? What I bought was 1ml vile from 1Stop (Tobacco Absolute (Blond) - One Stop DIY Shop Store). I figure I could pour that into a 6 ml bottle and then add in 4ml PGA.

I like TA but likewise, I would like something heartier, as you say pipe/cigar like. That is what I like about FSUSA Wyatt Earp. Have you found anything that is in that category?

No no no no no.....that's WAY too strong. 1 drop TA per 2ml of PGA/PG to make a dilute. Pouring that whole 1ml is a disaster waiting to happen. And even then, the strength I use is stronger than what is recommended I believe.

So basically how I make my dilute, is I take 10ml PG (I don't use PGA as it thins the final mixture too much) and add 5 drops TA from a LorAnne's dropper. Then I put it in hot water for 5 mins, and shake it up and let it sit overnight, shaking it up when I remember.

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
The stuff I got from PA before was what they call TA diluted, which was 50% PGA dilution. (1:1) That's what I used when I say 4 drops TA diluted per 10ml of final juice.

The Capt Black Top Note concentrate from Seedman might be more of a pipe-style I sent a bit towards Zbasspro to try for DIY. Treat it like Commercial for base %, be gentle on the TA addition.

Bahnzo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Colorado
OK, I got ya - and one question. I do not have a Lorann dropper. How does a Lorann drop compare to lets say a drop from a 3ml bottle?

It all depends on the bottle and liquid itself. I stopped using drops as a measure and only use a 1ml syringe to measure flavoring now. With the exception of TA....you just need a dropper for that.

Mark: that Seedman stuff is on my to do list. I'm not overly happy with the FA tobacco stuff, so I'll have to give Seedman's a try next.

Ru42

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2010
Southern Calif
@Bahnzo - I was looking for recipes that are more pipe/cigar flavor and I saw you have some FA trials going. I was looking at their site and saw Cuban, Dark Vapure, and Desert Ship. How did they come out?

EDIT - oops, we were posting at the same time LOL. I guess they didn't come out too well. I saw you noted the flavors git softer over time. I guess they continued to go down hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread