DIY e-liquid and nicotine extract method

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadub

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2008
London, UK
Another good source of known quantities of Nic is the carts for the Nicotrol Inhailer. Each cart contains 10 mg of Nic (4mg delivered when using the Inhailer). If you pop out the white inserts in the carts and soak them in Everclear (Pure Grain Alcohol), you can extract the Nic without any worry of glue like with the patches. I have made a few batches, and it seems to work pretty good. Has anyone else tried this?

Yes I tried that last month and it worked for me as well. Definitely expensive if you're a 36mg fan but 18mg is as high as I go so it seems a viable option for me if things turn sour.

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Here's some information that pins down the nicotine content of transdermal patches and which details the known or potential ingredients of the various product brands. I would imagine a great place to start would be in determining the solubility of the various compounds in the solvent you intend to use and then to assess the potential success of separation using filtration techniques taking into account the various binding properties. Barring that I imagine one would at least want to research the potential toxic effects of the inhalation of any of the ingredients which, in addition to nicotine, might be left over if there isn't any certain method of removing them.

What form(s) does Nicoderm come in?
21 mg/day
Each rectangular 22 cm² system contains nicotine 114 mg and provides 24-hour rate-controlled delivery of 21 mg/day to the patient. Nonmedicinal ingredients: ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer, polyisobutylene and high density polyethylene between polyester backings.

Walgreens Stop Smoking Aid Step 1 - 21 mg, Patches
Ingredients: Acrylate Adhesive , Aluminized Polyester , Cellulose Paper, Methacrylic Acid Copolymer

Equate: Stop Smoking Aid Patch Nicotine Transdermal System, 21 mg
Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Nicotine. Inactive Ingredients: Acrylate Adhesive, Aluminized Polyester, Cellulose Paper, Methacrylic Acid Copolymer.

Novartis Nicotine Transdermal System Patch 21 mg Step 1- 7 Patches
INGREDIENTS
Active Ingredients:per Patch: Nicotine 21 mg Delivered Over 24 Hours.
Inactive Ingredients:Acrylate Adhesive; Aluminized Polyester; Cellulose Paper; Methacrylic Acid Copolymer.

Nicotine is well suited for transepidermal delivery because it is a liquid which is known to penetrate skin easily. In fact, there are documented cases of tobacco workers suffering from nicotine overdose as a result of handling raw tobacco leaves, a condition known as Green tobacco Sickness. Depending on the type of patch, the amount of nicotine compound employed varies between 5% and 50%. The drug may be used in its pure form, or it may be linked with other chemicals entities such as hydrochloride, dihydrochloride, sulfate, tartrate, bitartarate, zinc chloride, and salicylate to form derivatives.

When preparing patches with these chemicals, there are two key areas of concern. The first is dosage, since too high a dose can cause irregular heartbeat, palpitations, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, or weakness. In fact, 60 mg of nicotine (the equivalent of smoking 60 cigarettes at once) is considered to be a lethal dose. Therefore, it is critical that the patch be calibrated to deliver the prescribed amount. The second consideration is related to the solvent properties of nicotine. The drug will attack or dissolve many of the materials used to make patch components. Many adhesives, for example, become stringy and loose their tackiness when exposed to nicotine. Or, they may become so heavily loaded with the drug that they deliver an unacceptably large burst of nicotine when attached to the skin. The compatibility of all patch materials that contact nicotine must be carefully evaluated.

Delivery vehicle

The patch itself is a small disk approximately 1 in (2.5 cm) or less in diameter, which may be assembled in several different configurations. One type of patch consists of a plastic chamber that contains the drug and is covered by a selectively permeable membrane to control the rate at which the drug is delivered. This carrier layer can be made from a variety of plastics, including polyvinyl chloride, polystyrene, polyurethane, ethylene vinyl acetate, polyester, polyolefin, and polycarbonate. Alternately, the carrier may be of the matrix type, also known as the monolith type. In this configuration, the drug is dispersed or suspended in the solid plastic matrix of the carrier. In yet another patch design, the drug is mixed directly with the adhesive and applied to a plastic support layer. Regardless of which patch design is employed, the disk must deliver the drug at a controlled rate. It is also important that the device be made from a plastic material which is flexible enough to be applied and removed from skin without breaking or tearing.

Backing layer

All patch configurations feature an occlusive backing layer that is impermeable to the drug. This is typically a plastic sheet laminated with metallic foil to increase its barrier properties and prevent the drug from leaking.

Adhesive

The adhesive used to mount the patch on the skin is extremely important. There are a number of medical grade, pressure-sensitive adhesives, such as acrylate ester/vinyl pyrrolidone copolymers, dimethyl silicone polymers, and acrylate polymers. The latter dominate medical adhesive market, mainly because of their low level of allergenicity. In addition to being nonirritating to the skin, a patch adhesive must have good water resistance so it continues to adhere when the skin perspires. It must have sufficiently high cohesive strength to allow clean removal of adhesive from skin, and it must have properties that allow it to accommodate skin movement without losing the bond and without excessive skin irritation. As described above, care must be taken to ensure the adhesive will not degrade after prolonged contact with nicotine.

Other ingredients

Other ingredients, such as pigments, dyes, inert fillers, and processing aids, may be mixed in with the drug. Certain types of patches also include permeation enhancers to improve drug penetration. For example, one manufacturer of transepidermal patches includes low levels of alcohol to enhance skin penetration. Some nicotine patches contain antipruritic (anti-itch) agents to treat the pruritus associated with transdermal delivery of nicotine. These antipruritic drugs are selected from a group consisting of bisabolol, oil of chamomile, chamazulene, allantoin, D-panthenol, glycyrrhetenic acid, corticosteroids, and antihistamines.

hason74

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
west fargo nd
Hello just a quick note but I think you will like!

Nicotine patches have 140mg of nicotine in them which is easily extracted with a little alcohol or pure acetone (which will all evaporate later)

Simply soak a patch in acteone and let evaporate in eye dropper bottle you will be left with pure nicotine crystals (and maybe some glue, have to work out how to get rid of that!)

then add glycerine and flavour to the bottle to disolve. No carcinogenic tobacco extract stuff, measured dose, one patch makes a few mls.

hmmmmmm
The glue wont be a problem if u use acetone, u just have to "rinse it" after u get the ni' crystals, put them in a bowl, pour in acetone, put on rubber gloves and knead the crystals in the acetone, the glue will go into the acetone, u then pour the acetone out, not letting the crystals leave the bowl.

did that make sense?

StratOvation

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Michigan, USA
The glue wont be a problem if u use acetone, u just have to "rinse it" after u get the ni' crystals, put them in a bowl, pour in acetone, put on rubber gloves and knead the crystals in the acetone, the glue will go into the acetone, u then pour the acetone out, not letting the crystals leave the bowl.

did that make sense?

No, Actually It makes no more sense to assume light, manual agitation in a bowl of acetone would solubilize and retain all unwanted agents from the crystal than it makes to assume, a simple acetone rinse of a ni patch would yield a pure ni crystal to begin with.

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico
So how do the "pros" do it, like where Puresmoker and Totally Wicked get theirs from?

has anyone thought abotu nico-gum? its usually cheaper than the patches (can get it on ebay) and has plenty of nicotine.

They buy from China, no suppliers that I know extract their own nicotine or produce e-liquid, they can ask the manufacturer for some changes on the formulation or flavor, that is it.

JC is another story, I don't know where they get their nicotine from.

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
denni-schnapp.livejournal.com
No, Actually It makes no more sense to assume light, manual agitation in a bowl of acetone would solubilize and retain all unwanted agents from the crystal than it makes to assume, a simple acetone rinse of a ni patch would yield a pure ni crystal to begin with.

My thought exactly.

But I think a few wipes with nail varnish remover might do the trick for removing some of the glue. Leave it to evaporate, then float the patch on a minimum volume of 90%VG/low calcium water and finally squeeze it (wear those gloves!)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico

Nice find, looks easy to extract the nicotine from there, but it will be the expensivest nicotine ever, from their MSDS:

Nicotine (CAS#54-11-5) (equivalent to the nicotine content of one cigarette per 100 ml of solution).

http://www.carolina.com/text/teacherresources/MSDS/nicotine.pdf

b00stzx3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2009
Frederick, MD
Nice find, looks easy to extract the nicotine from there, but it will be the expensivest nicotine ever, from their MSDS:

Nicotine (CAS#54-11-5) (equivalent to the nicotine content of one cigarette per 100 ml of solution).

http://www.carolina.com/text/teacherresources/MSDS/nicotine.pdf

Crap lol. Well, anyone got any new ideas? I'm having trouble finding suppliers of pure nicotine. I know its dangerous as hell, thats why you wear labe gear with it until its all cut and safe! Plastic pants, jacket, gas mask, rubber gloves, head covering, you should be fine, right?

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico
I know here in Mexico you can buy pure nicotine from Merck:

Versión traducida de http://www.merck-chemicals.com.mx/-nicotina/MDA_CHEM-820877/p_uuid?WFSimpleSearch_NameOrID=nicotina&PortalCatalogUUID=qfyb.s1Ob_AAAAEY_RtbyjFK&BackButtonText=search+results

But if you go to Merck KGaA - Chemicals (International site) and choose north america, it will redirect you to: EMD Chemicals, Inc. Gibbstown, NJ EMD is the distributor of Merck products in the US, but the EMD's site doesn't list Nicotine on their products, maybe you could call them and ask.

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com

did that make sense?

Not really - AFAIK several components are insoluble in acetone. For the record, here's what I know (I must stress, I am only an amateur chemist.)

acrylate ester/vinyl pyrrolidone copolymers - yes, soluble in acetone, dimethyl silicone polymers - very limited solubility in acetone,
acrylate polymers - yes, soluble in acetone,
pigments and dyes - no way of knowing,
permeation enhancers - no way of knowing,
bisabolol - yes, soluble in acetone,
oil of chamomile - complex mixture, only some components of which are likely to be soluble in acetone,
chamazulene - no idea,
allantoin - not soluble in acetone,
D-panthenol - probably soluble in acetone,
glycyrrhetenic acid - forms a crystal monohydrate with acetone that will likely contaminate any other crystal processes in the flask,
corticosteroids - yes, I think soluble in acetone
antihistamine - probably soluble in acetone.

There is likely to be quite a cocktail of crap left, which might be fine for a dermal patch, but is a lungful of Russian roulette as a juice recipe.

And since you're expecting crystals, I guess you'll be needing to add a strong acid to the mix (since pure nicotine is a liquid down to -110F,) in order for it to form a salt, and that acid is also going to react with all of the above to make a witches' brew of potentially insoluble contaminants of unknown hazard.

I'm sorry, but I can't see this approach is ever going to be safe. Stick to nicotine sources formulated for internal use, not dermal use, and keep your solution weak - that's the best advice I can give you. Why do you need to purify pure nicotine? You're going to dilute it down for juice again - MUCH safer to keep it as a weak solution throughout the process, surely.

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
I'm sorry, but I can't see this approach is ever going to be safe. Stick to nicotine sources formulated for internal use, not dermal use, and keep your solution weak - that's the best advice I can give you. Why do you need to purify pure nicotine? You're going to dilute it down for juice again - MUCH safer to keep it as a weak solution throughout the process, surely.

That was very useful info. Yes, definitely keep it in a solution not much stronger than the e-juice concentration you're aiming at.

Apart from tobacco, the patches are the only source of sufficiently concentrated nicotine though.

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
That was very useful info. Yes, definitely keep it in a solution not much stronger than the e-juice concentration you're aiming at.

Apart from tobacco, the patches are the only source of sufficiently concentrated nicotine though.

What's wrong with leaf tobacco? When it combusts, over 90% of the nicotine is destroyed, and only a tiny fraction of the whole actually makes it into your blood stream (a bit like the patches, with their trickle-down delivery from a large reservoir that's not designed to run dry.) Extract the nicotine without burning it, and you should potentially get well over 10x the yield from an ounce of tobacco compared to smoking it. It would make the taxes seem almost reasonable (though it's easy enough to grow if you want to really save money :))
You'll also get a bit of realistic tobacco flavour from the essential oils and other volatile components, so you won't have to scrabble around blending pepper and black tea and god knows what to imitate tobacco from scratch.

That's almost certainly how Sigma make their nicotine - by tobacco extraction (though they have the facilities to do the job really professionally and safely.) I'm sure it's also how the Chinese juice-makers make theirs - it's the only cost-effective way of doing it - synthesis would be horribly expensive, and no other plant I know of has levels of up to 3% dry weight nicotine - none that grow like weeds anyway. Consider that 100g of dried tobacco potentially contains up to 3g (3000mg) of nicotine - that would be 200ml of juice @ 15mg/ml!

I'm sure there will be a few components that we'd rather do without, but can't easily get rid of (and that might account for the few undesirable traces in the TW analysis,) but it bypasses the combustion products, and all the evidence shows that non-combusted tobacco is relatively safe, so it's gotta be better than smoking.

I've got 2 small samples each of 2 different tobaccos soaking - one of each in water and the other in ethanol (need to get some more isopropyl for a third experiment - only got a dribble left and it's CD cleaner anyway, so may well not be pure,) and then I have some ideas for removing some of the crude components to make it a bit less sludgy.

Even with a relatively weak solution this is still an unknown hazard, since we have no way to assess the strength except by subjective perception. Best to start very, VERY diluted, and double-check the math at every stage. Then triple check it. A stray decimal point could be very dangerous!

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
Extracting nicotine by soaking tobacco is horribly inefficient and you end up with plenty of crud.

Saying that, if I could grow my own I'd try the method where people soak apples or potatoes along with the dried leaves. The fruit/veg act as diffusion filters ;)

The link to that post is lost somewhere on the forum. Might be a useful wiki, but then we have to be careful recommending nic extraction methods due to the risks involved.

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
Extracting nicotine by soaking tobacco is horribly inefficient and you end up with plenty of crud.

That's true (and one of the reasons I'm going to experiment with distillation to remove all the non-volatile components.) I wonder if it would improve the efficiency to make a tobacco smoothie (instead of just soaking cut leaf,) and then force it through a HEPA filter to get the particulate crud out? Come to think of it, it might be clean enough to skip the distillation, and use directly (suitable diluted,) without gunging up the atomizer.
I've got a box of Gelman glass fiber filters that might be perfect for the job, though I don't have a housing for them any more. I'll see if I can bodge something up.

Saying that, if I could grow my own I'd try the method where people soak apples or potatoes along with the dried leaves. The fruit/veg act as diffusion filters ;)

How does that work? Is there preferential uptake of the undesirables in the apple/potato? Sounds interesting - I'll have a search (there can't be that many threads about potatoes here :))

hmm... actually there are a LOT of potato posts! I'll keep searching.

The link to that post is lost somewhere on the forum. Might be a useful wiki, but then we have to be careful recommending nic extraction methods due to the risks involved.

That's certainly true. I haven't looked at the wiki yet, but I'm not going to recommend any procedures at all. Just because I'm happy taking a few risks, doesn't mean anyone else ought think that makes it any safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread