DIY e-liquid and nicotine extract method

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewie

Verified Member
I hope the discussion about extracting nicotine from the patches is over. Or else any risk takers wear gloves to the elbows with eye protection and good tools to prevent accidents and spills.

When I was 22 years old I suffered a heart attack from getting that gel from the back of the patch on my skin when I was done with my workout, and getting ready to shower before work. When I went to take off the patch, I was sweating from working out, and the gel had separated and a moderate sized piece was left behind when I removed the patch. I took off the piece of gel and threw it in the garbage in the empty foil with the used patch, all folded up, so it wouldn't be tempting for dumpster divers (I live on the edge of downtown). I read the warnings on the label about keeping used patches away from children and pets, so I usually tried to find used coffee cans or other closable containers to put them in with the trash I took out to the alley dumpster.

I jumped in the shower and washed the residue off with soap and water. In hindsight, I should have used a paper towel to wick it off, but they don't tell you that on the package. The soap helped to absorb it faster. Next thing I knew I could hear my heart pounding in my head, it was all I could hear, I panicked and jumped out of the shower, and my face was purple from the neck up. My heart was beating so fast the doctor said, it wasn't allowing blood to get oxygenated when it went to my lungs. I phoned 9-1-1, and the paramedics brought a mini ekg machine in my apartment, this was in 1992.

By the time I was riding in the ambulance, they were talking about me like I was already gone, and I could hear them and it was scaring me worse. At the hospital they hooked me up to the big cardiac room with the multiple monitors, and I had suffered a heart attack, I don't think arrest because I didn't have compression or paddles. My heart rate remained over 220 beats per minute for at least 3 hours. They kept asking me to be very open about whether I took any illegal drugs (they named specific stimulants that are blocked on ECF when named), and when I told them "no," they didn't believe me until they could verify it with a tox screen.

That was scary. The doctor told me that a lot of fit young adults had died while wearing the patch, while jogging or doing strenuous exercise. I was fit at that age, I had just stopped jogging because of my ankles going bad from excessive jogging through my teens, but I rode a bicycle and power-walked, and went to a trail in a wooded area near the University that had several exercise stations made of wood and steel, where there were written and picture instructions how to do exercises to develop just about every muscle group in your body. I had done these routines religiously for a few years, and people commented I was putting on muscle after being too skinny as a teen. The warnings on the nicotine patch box back then said nothing about wearing it during exercise, I wonder if it ever did?

I never wore another patch after that. I like the nicotine gum better anyway. The gum better imitates the nicotine levels in your body peaking, which triggers a reaction where dopamine receptors are in your brain, and create that sense of reward. The patch cannot create that reward system, because your nicotine levels are the same 24 hours a day, no peak or trough, just an even dose of nicotine constantly in your system. That even nicotine dose released by a properly operating patch does not trigger the reward system in the dopamine receptors in the brain like with the gum, analogues, and vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread