Switching to salts

Status
Not open for further replies.

est2012

May 19, 2019
I started vaping in 2012. I’ve always vaped 18mg/ml freebase. 24mg was too harsh and 12mg had me filling up my .9ml tank 6x a day. With 18mg fluid, I fill .9ml on average twice in 24 hours. Based on my math, that’s about 32mg daily.

I’m confused though. I got a JUUL because it was cheap to try salts. I really liked the Juul but I went through an entire pod in one day. With that kind of usage, closed pod systems will not work for me. The JUUL, from what I’ve read, is 59mg/ml. The JUUL gave me a decent throat hit, not as good as my cig-alike (which is my deal breaker) but close. The confusing part is based on my experience with JUUL, I liked the higher nicotine - just based off throat hit but from everything I’ve read on how to calculate your nicotine salt level is to go by your daily intake and mine is 32mg and that would mean 35mg/ml is the right mg. I’m missing something.

If it helps, I ordered a smok Nord to use with the salts that I will get whenever I figure out my mg.

Reactions: stols001

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2019
Gulf Coast, TX
BE careful with the higher nics though... I recently got some Pacha Mama in the lowest available- 25 mg/ml- and after vaping it like I would my other 6-8mg/ml FB liquids, I began to feel sick that got worse over a course of a week. I finally figured out it was the higher nicotine doing it. I got a minor case of nic OD. I stopped using it for a day and felt better the next day. It taught me that I cannot vape it all day long as a primary fluid cause it's more than what I need as far as nic content goes per day. I've switched back to FB liquids since then.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Be careful with the Nord too. It is a pod, and the 1.4 ohm coil will be fine with lower mg salts, but it also comes with a sub ohm coil, as well as a sub ohm mtl coil being available.

That being said, there is a bigger concern over salts than I think needs to be. The way I understand it is, salts have a higher molecular weight than freebase, so one mg freebase isn't equivalent to one mg of salts. It varies in the acid used to neutralize to base too, to further complicate things.

I use salts on the Nord coil btw, NicRiver hit salts, 6mg, 0.6 ohm.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Doesn't a Juul pod only contain 0.7mL? That works out to 41mg which is closer to your estimated daily intake. My experience with nic is that the body lets you know in no uncertain terms when you've had enough, so I just go by feel.

Absolutely, the danger comes in when high mg juice, salt or otherwise, is put into a higher wattage device, even something like a Nord for someone used to a cigalike, even potentially the 1.4ohm coil, which is easily confused for the 0.8 ohm coil. If a vaper got used to say, 24mg in a 1.4, and put the 0.8 in, they could have a very bad day, much worse than hiccups, sweats, vomiting, elevated blood pressure, palpitations, heart attack... Etc.

• Creative
Reactions: Izan

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Everyone's different my mate vapes 25mg nic salt at 50w+ on a 0.12 coil. That's still only around 12mg freebase though depending on acid used. I'm at 15mg nic salt at 50w on 0.12 coils. I don't think I have a high nicotine tolerance at all. Juul is around 70mg nic salt for their stronger pods but they only declare freebase strength.

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
Absolutely, the danger comes in when high mg juice, salt or otherwise, is put into a higher wattage device, even something like a Nord for someone used to a cigalike, even potentially the 1.4ohm coil, which is easily confused for the 0.8 ohm coil. If a vaper got used to say, 24mg in a 1.4, and put the 0.8 in, they could have a very bad day, much worse than hiccups, sweats, vomiting, elevated blood pressure, palpitations, heart attack... Etc.
I believe the Nord kit comes with 2 coils. A 1.4 ohm and a .6 ohm coil.

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Nicotine is nicotine, nic salts are popular due to their reduced or eliminated throat hit.
At all mg/ml levels they are smoother / less harsh.
To get the same TH as freebase nic one must use a much higher mg/ml of nic salt type nicotine.

Yea but nicotine isn't nicotine benzoate (the salt juul use). Its the big ECF myth that there the same. They are not equivalent.

NicSalt Nicotine Salt; 1kg | CHEMNOVATIC

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I started vaping in 2012. I’ve always vaped 18mg/ml freebase. 24mg was too harsh and 12mg had me filling up my .9ml tank 6x a day. With 18mg fluid, I fill .9ml on average twice in 24 hours. Based on my math, that’s about 32mg daily.

I’m confused though. I got a JUUL because it was cheap to try salts. I really liked the Juul but I went through an entire pod in one day. With that kind of usage, closed pod systems will not work for me. The JUUL, from what I’ve read, is 59mg/ml. The JUUL gave me a decent throat hit, not as good as my cig-alike (which is my deal breaker) but close. The confusing part is based on my experience with JUUL, I liked the higher nicotine - just based off throat hit but from everything I’ve read on how to calculate your nicotine salt level is to go by your daily intake and mine is 32mg and that would mean 35mg/ml is the right mg. I’m missing something.

If it helps, I ordered a Smok Nord to use with the salts that I will get whenever I figure out my mg.
One juul pod a day? That seems to be less ml then what your currently vaping, right? You said your vaping 18mg freebase at almost 2mls per day, but isn't a juul pod less MLS then that? I thought they were like 1ml? If this is correct, then with the juul pod, your daily nic intake is sort of equal to what your doing now. I can see you switching if you weren't happy with your current set up, or wanted less TH. How long have you been successfully off of smokes and what exactly aren't you liking about your current set up? Is it that you feel your not getting enough nic?

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
I believe the Nord kit comes with 2 coils. A 1.4 ohm and a .6 ohm coil.
Yes. It comes with two. The 1.4 ohm mtl,a the 0.6 dtl. There are two others available. A 1.4 ceramic coil mtl, and a 0.8 mtl.

For someone switching from most cigalikes, even the 1.4 mtl will produce much more vapor, not realizing and putting in a sub ohm would be an easy mistake to make.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I’ve never vapes exactly the same two days in a row, so I don’t really know how many mg of nic per day.

Thing is youll have to experiment a little to find how much nic satisfies without being too harsh or too much for how much you want to vape.

I vape at will all day, so I keep my FB nic low, but I do use a higher salts at higher ohms for a fast fix or when I can’t vape as much, or when I wish to not be so cloudy.

basilia

Moved On
May 24, 2019
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Spam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread