diy vmod power button

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
hey everyone. so as i had mentioned in the vmod enthusiast thread within this forum i lost my power button for my vmod. it's been a long time coming and i've literally halted traffic in the past so that i may retrieve the damned thing.
has anyone else found a way to create their own button, or found something that can be used as a power switch peg when they have wanted to use it?
right now i'm just using a bobby pin to trigger it, which is really frustrating.
i've contacted vapage about my situation, and they don't offer this part separately at all. i have a week on my warranty, and they want me to ship my vmod chassis to them for a replacement. i'm a bit weary of sending it off, because it will essentialy cost me $40 to send off, and i have no idea what they would like to do on its way back. essentially this endeavor can potentially cost $40-$80, just to get a replacement chassis that will likely have the very same issue. i live in canada, and plan on insuring it on its way there and on its way back. there's no way i'll let the chassis be handled by standard shipping via usps or whatever vapage does.
edit: ok. it will cost me $65 in shipping fees (plus an additional insurance charge to insure it?). this sounds like an epic waste of time to essentially receive a brand new chassis with a brand new crappy power switch.
really, i love the clever design and compact structure of the vmod, but i'm toying with getting a reo mini 2.0 while they're still in stock, since i know it won't have that issue.

Last edited:

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
fortunately enough, i have a sort-of solution. i met someone off of ecf who lives in my area, who saw my frustrations on fb (yes, i'm that guy on fb sometimes). he offered to install a permanent button onto the chassis. i really hope he can think of a solution, because it will be interesting for sure.
if it works out, and even if it doesn't, i'll update this thread with pictures and such. i'm leaving it in his hands friday.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Sorry to hear about your problem with your VMod. I am still trying to figure out how the button even came off. I have looked mine over extensively and still can't see how it could come off. Did you drop it at some point and it came off? I do hope you can get it fixed though as you said. I couldn't imagine a day without mine.....

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
is no one else having this issue? because it is honestly just a little ridged plastic peg that comes right out. it's been doing it before i ever dropped it, about a week after i got it. turn it on, or off, and you should be able to lift the little effer right out.
the vmod is my backup pv because bottom feeders are fun. also, you can use any 18650 with a higher mah capacity than the reo allows. for a 9ml bottle, it just makes sense. after a lot of contemplation i don't see myself investing in another bottom feeder. if this button solution doesn't end up working, i'm definitely going to be exclusively using super t apvs. :) my p+ is my vaping life.

Last edited:

jeenam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
nyc
The button is supposed to be able to rotate left/right to lock it in place to prevent it from being pressed. Sounds as though you got a vmod with a defective button. I'll inspect mine once I get home tonight, but it would appear the button is installed from the bottom, and then pushed up through the hole, for installation. From there, iirc there's a spring that holds the button up and prevents it from falling down/out of the device.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I have a VmodXL that is destroyed. I cut/wired a Kick into it and since then, have removed the feed system. The button is intact, but the spring that holds the button up is removed. I could easily replace the spring, but it's been tweeked and wouldn't be as new. The chassis is cracked around the area of the feeder. None the less, if you want me to snap a pic of what I have (and am willing to part with), just shoot me a PM. Maybe snap a pic of the condition of yours. If you feel as though you can repair yours with spare parts, I'm willing to help ya out if you pay shipping (US to Canuck-land ain't cheap, or I'd just do it free)

I'm out of town, so if you want to pursue my offer, be prepared to be patient until Sunday or Monday. I'll do what I can tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread