Dizzy/nauseous feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyvape

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2019
Texas
Why is it when I drip I get the feeling of being dizzy. I am using a Wotofo Troll rda with a stainless build of 12 wraps with a diameter of 2.5mm reading .18 ohms in wattage mode. Regardless of the wattage setting I get this dizzy/nauseous felling, using 3mg nicotine level? No problems at all using a squonk mod with 24mm rda, get the same feeling using a velocity style 24mm on the squonk.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Going to assume I was tagged based on previous conversations where I asked how resistance affects nicotine delivery with a regulated device. If so then I will ask again, how does resistance affect nicotine delivery.

@crazyvape did not indicate power levels or the type of wire used for his coil, but 12 wraps eludes to me that the coil is quite some size which most likely requires a fair amount of power. @crazyvape, care is share details?

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
What build are you using on the squonker, and what’s your calculated wattage?

If all those factors are the same or similar, the difference might be your draw and frequency of puffs.

Seems like I hit my squonkers a lot harder, but less often than other mods. You may find you vape a little differently on different devices as well.

crazyvape

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2019
Texas
What build are you using on the squonker, and what’s your calculated wattage?

If all those factors are the same or similar, the difference might be your draw and frequency of puffs.

Seems like I hit my squonkers a lot harder, but less often than other mods. You may find you vape a little differently on different devices as well.

I tried reducing the draw time and it did help somewhat, I have been so use to the squonk method so maybe it just might be a learning curve.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
No sir, per coil.

So 12 wraps per coil using 26awg Stainless Steel.

I don’t always put 100% faith into Steam Engine but it calculates 12 wraps of 26awg SS316L as ~0.7 ohms. Dual in parallel would be 0.35ohms. Does that sound correct?

Non the less, those are a good size coils. With increased surface area, along with added power in order to fire said coil you increase vapor production. Air flow of the atomizer will also play a large part as well. With increase vapor production you have an increase of nicotine delivery.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Sounds like a case where playing with the wattage would find a sweet spot where you get less nic. I sometimes vape 12mg juice to reduce my chain vaping. That works, but vaping less at 12mg has about the same effect as vaping like a fiend at 3mg strength.

DTL cloud vaping at 3mg can produce dizzying effects depending on the wattage setting. It's all about controlling the vape to find the sweet spot that satisfies without getting dizzy.

You didn't say whether you are a former smoker or just started vaping for the novelty. Former smokers start at high nic levels in the 18mg to 24mg range to get off the smokes. Drop your wattage down to the lowest point where you can get vapor without the dizziness and work from there. 20W might not produce good vapor, but you can work the wattage up and down to find a suitable level where you don't OD on the nic.

It's obvious that your current settings are causing you to experience nic dizziness. I'm guessing that you aren't a former smoker.

Last edited:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Dizziness and nausea are classic symptoms of mild nicotine sickness. I would either vape less frequently (hard to do if you enjoy vaping) or lower nic levels further for your higher power, higher vapor producing devices. If you can, try going with 0 nic for a bit just as an experiment to see if the problem resolves.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Agree with @DaveP and @Jazzman – I do not know of any hard set rule that dictates how much nicotine an individual is able to consume within a said amount of time before feeling nauseous. There are medical studies that give a rough estimate, but they can vary based on individuals. We are all made up of different tolerances and chemistries. There are obvious extremes we should proceed with caution, like vaping nic salts in a massive dual coil build at 100+ watts. But ones dizziness with 3mg at 60 watts could be perfectly fine with another individual.

@crazyvape – don’t know if you DIY or buy commercial made juice. If commercial, you could purchase 0mg juice, and add your own nicotine at lower levels, say 1.5mg should nicotine be needed. And obviously if you DIY you are in control of how much nic goes into the juice.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Finding your personal nic tolerance level is part of vaping for many. I have made myself nic sick on several occasions which was always when I get a new device and over indulge trying different builds and wattage levels with a juice that was at a nic level I normally use at lower wattage and vapor volume levels. I haven't done this in a few years since it was not pleasant. Fortunately, this passes rather quickly if a mild case... within a hour or so for me. I'm surprised that the OP didn't also get a mild headache, which generally accompanies the other symptoms.

The next step of nic sickness will involve headaches, stomach pain, nausea with vomiting, sweating, chills, increased heart rate, and headaches as your body tries to purge the nicotine. This is more serious, but not life threatening... just really uncomfortable and takes longer to recover. There haven't been any cases of dying from this that I'm aware of... just really sick for a while (up to 24hrs) while your body recovers. This would be considered nicotine poisoning. Just notice the early symptoms before you get to this point and stop vaping for a while.

Nicotine is considered a self-medicating substance and your body will treat it like a poison and do everything it can to purge it if nic levels get too high in your system, and everyone is different in their tolerance levels. But you will reach a point that you will not ingest more due to extreme discomfort before you reach life threatening levels, which is hypothesized to be between 500~1000mg depending on the person. But since there are no known death issues with confirming data this level is just an educated guess at this point.

Knowing the symptoms of nic sickness is valuable. You never know when you might get a commercial juice with out of spec nicotine, or just induce it yourself like I have. But being aware of the early stages lets you get by with a minor sickness that's not too much of an issue and keeps you from progressing to a really bad time with poisoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread