DNA 200 Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icemanxxxv

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2012
KC MO
So today I downloaded the new escribe software with the 316ss profile. Ran my Crown on it and it connected to device monitor. It had a nice smooth ramp topped out a few degrees below the set temp. Produced a nice vape smooth curve I thought wow this is nice. Set the mod down for 30 minutes and hit it again on device monitor and the temp curve was all jankie. Vape was well anemic. Cleaned the 520 and the tank connector found no contsmination. How or why does this happen?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
So today I downloaded the new escribe software with the 316ss profile. Ran my Crown on it and it connected to device monitor. It had a nice smooth ramp topped out a few degrees below the set temp. Produced a nice vape smooth curve I thought wow this is nice. Set the mod down for 30 minutes and hit it again on device monitor and the temp curve was all jankie. Vape was well anemic. Cleaned the 520 and the tank connector found no contsmination. How or why does this happen?

Did you happen to notice if the resistance changed? Another possible problem might be, it's my understanding while the crown coils are 316, the legs are Nickel. I think a lot of people have better results using SS304 TCR or Curve. Lastly, I think 316 is at the very low end (TCR) of what our mods can accurately TC (I personally found 316 could be finicky in TC). For that reason I switched over to SS430 and have never looked back. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted!

Cheers,
Steve

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

The latest dna75 escribe software should not be used with the dna200. Some folks have bricked their dna200s using it. From the Evolve forum, posted by James, the software engineer:
Howdy all,

The 2016-04-25 firmware for DNA 200 that some people have been trying is an experimental version. Please do not install it -- it is known to have problems. When we have new DNA 200 firmware ready for public test, we'll put it in the Early Firmware thread like we always do.

Thanks!

James

The latest dna200 software is from February. You should back off from the version you are using, though, I hear it works great with ss. They will post new dna200 software in the early firmware thread on the evolve forum when it is ready.

Another quote from Evolve's forum:
yes please don't use any firmware other than what's available on the early firmware page. i just had two boards die with exactly the same symptoms running FW 2016-04-05. first symptom - battery charge/watt hour charge estimate falsely zeroed out. a few hours later nothing but clicking noises from the boards and warranty service messages on both screens. play it safe and wait for approved, by evolv, FW to be released. i have just sent the boards in the mail today. i won't have an answer to what killed the boards for some time. but better to be safe than sorry when it comes to "here one minute, gone the next" firmware.

Reactions: AtmizrOpin

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
The latest dna75 escribe software should not be used with the dna200. Some folks have bricked their dna200s using it. From the Evolve forum, posted by James, the software engineer:
Howdy all,

The 2016-04-25 firmware for DNA 200 that some people have been trying is an experimental version. Please do not install it -- it is known to have problems. When we have new DNA 200 firmware ready for public test, we'll put it in the Early Firmware thread like we always do.

Thanks!

James

The latest dna200 software is from February. You should back off from the version you are using, though, I hear it works great with ss. They will post new dna200 software in the early firmware thread on the evolve forum when it is ready.

Another quote from Evolve's forum:
yes please don't use any firmware other than what's available on the early firmware page. i just had two boards die with exactly the same symptoms running FW 2016-04-05. first symptom - battery charge/watt hour charge estimate falsely zeroed out. a few hours later nothing but clicking noises from the boards and warranty service messages on both screens. play it safe and wait for approved, by evolv, FW to be released. i have just sent the boards in the mail today. i won't have an answer to what killed the boards for some time. but better to be safe than sorry when it comes to "here one minute, gone the next" firmware.
that second quote you have from the evolv forum were my two boards. i should have two replacements around monday or tuesday. but yes i made the mistake of installing FW 2015-04-05 on two dna 200 devices, mainly for the glass smooth SS TC (and oh how smooth it was....:thumb:). whoooooops! oh well, thank god for evolv's warranty. one of the best.

Icemanxxxv

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2012
KC MO
Did you happen to notice if the resistance changed? Another possible problem might be, it's my understanding while the crown coils are 316, the legs are Nickel. I think a lot of people have better results using SS304 TCR or Curve. Lastly, I think 316 is at the very low end (TCR) of what our mods can accurately TC (I personally found 316 could be finicky in TC). For that reason I switched over to SS430 and have never looked back. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted!

Cheers,
Steve
I'm using a 304 stainless 6/7 3mm spaced coil at .31 ohms on the rba for the Crown. The thing was solid as a rock after the upgrade to evolve's update. Set at 400° 15 watts 100° preheat 11 pre punch 2 second. Ramped up smoothly and smooth wave below the set temp. Came back after about 30 minutes and it all went wonky. Check the coil connection. Checked the rba to make sure it hadn't got loose. Both checked good. Removed the rba cleaned out the Atty base that had some rogue juice in it. Cleaned the rba connection to base. Cleaned the 510 connector (evolve) with aircraft aerosol contact cleaner. Polished with a mechanical pencile eraser. It was asking me new coil after each setting change in escribe. It is not displaying that message any longer. Now i have it set at 14.2w 430°temp to keep it from stroking out over the top of the temp set. The chips control gets all kind of spikey jumping +-50°. Why can't the chip hold down the temp before it breaks above the set temp?

Icemanxxxv

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2012
KC MO
I'm using a 304 stainless 6/7 3mm spaced coil at .31 ohms on the rba for the Crown. The thing was solid as a rock after the upgrade to evolve's update. Set at 400° 15 watts 100° preheat 11 pre punch 2 second. Ramped up smoothly and smooth wave below the set temp. Came back after about 30 minutes and it all went wonky. Check the coil connection. Checked the rba to make sure it hadn't got loose. Both checked good. Removed the rba cleaned out the Atty base that had some rogue juice in it. Cleaned the rba connection to base. Cleaned the 510 connector (evolve) with aircraft aerosol contact cleaner. Polished with a mechanical pencile eraser. It was asking me new coil after each setting change in escribe. It is not displaying that message any longer. Now i have it set at 14.2w 430°temp to keep it from stroking out over the top of the temp set. The chips control gets all kind of spikey jumping +-50°. Why can't the chip hold down the temp before it breaks above the set temp?

Just did a new TCR at Steam Engine for 304. Power setting 15w Temp set 425 much smoother curve and tops out around 409°at the end of my draw. Much better now.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Just did a new TCR at Steam Engine for 304. Power setting 15w Temp set 425 much smoother curve and tops out around 409°at the end of my draw. Much better now.

Nice. I'm glad it's working better for you. If you ever get a chance, try out some SS430. It has a TCR ~50% higher than 316 or 317. I've gotten better results since switching over. If you are interested I got mine from Unkamen Supplies.

PS I've never tried 304, jumped right to SS430 from 316.

TCR-500x281.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
While one may want their atties made from ss 316/317 I can't see why anyone would want to build coils with it when ss 430 is availible.
It work just as well as can be with a decently high resistance compared to NiFe or others.

Last edited:

nic_fix

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
this is like a bad joke. another hana just died. it seems hana no matter which version of dna has a very high failure rate. it is strange because it is the same board everyone else uses. anyone could build a dna box. well, accept me because I am almost completely paralyzed now. I just don't get it. how can all these hana's fail but no other mod has this failure rate? what could they possibly do wrong? plus I hear the horror stories of their cs to boot. luckily I just show up there or send someone. it is not like they are not going to be polite if you just show up on their door step. at least I am lucky for that but it is stil a several hour ride each way for me. I can no longer sit in the passenger side of the truck even though it is a suburban. too much pain. although they are in a one story building with just a door plate on the floor so I could pull my chair right in there but now I cannot even go anymore. this is very rural so some local kids run errands to make a living. thing is they charge $45 plus gas to go there. still better than doing an rma and getting the cold shoulder. all the way from the dna 20 these things all fail. I just do not get what they are doing wrong. I do not know if they are doing it on purpose or something else. it baffles me. no out of like 30+ dna200 china made mods only two failed and both were only the battery connection. which one of my great grandsons could fix in ten minutes after he ran up to the electronics supply to get a connector.

one thing I would like to see in dna200 mods is universal battery connectors and universal batteries across the board. there should be a standard for that. there is for dna200 reference but hardly any are reference design. if the battery and connector was like say an xt-30 on all of them I could get them at the rc store. not to even mention hana has used a connector that cannot possibly draw 200 watts. it will melt at that. luckily that does not matter to me because I am at 110 watts.

sorry, end of rant.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
this is like a bad joke. another hana just died. it seems hana no matter which version of dna has a very high failure rate. it is strange because it is the same board everyone else uses. anyone could build a dna box. well, accept me because I am almost completely paralyzed now. I just don't get it. how can all these hana's fail but no other mod has this failure rate? what could they possibly do wrong? plus I hear the horror stories of their cs to boot. luckily I just show up there or send someone. it is not like they are not going to be polite if you just show up on their door step. at least I am lucky for that but it is stil a several hour ride each way for me. I can no longer sit in the passenger side of the truck even though it is a suburban. too much pain. although they are in a one story building with just a door plate on the floor so I could pull my chair right in there but now I cannot even go anymore. this is very rural so some local kids run errands to make a living. thing is they charge $45 plus gas to go there. still better than doing an rma and getting the cold shoulder. all the way from the dna 20 these things all fail. I just do not get what they are doing wrong. I do not know if they are doing it on purpose or something else. it baffles me. no out of like 30+ dna200 china made mods only two failed and both were only the battery connection. which one of my great grandsons could fix in ten minutes after he ran up to the electronics supply to get a connector.

one thing I would like to see in dna200 mods is universal battery connectors and universal batteries across the board. there should be a standard for that. there is for dna200 reference but hardly any are reference design. if the battery and connector was like say an xt-30 on all of them I could get them at the rc store. not to even mention hana has used a connector that cannot possibly draw 200 watts. it will melt at that. luckily that does not matter to me because I am at 110 watts.

sorry, end of rant.
this was a 200 that failed this time or a smaller unit?

Ratpackid

Sep 17, 2014
Chicago
My 4th replacement Hana 200 just had the screen go bad. The first 2 had bad chips and the next 3 all had the screen go bad. I'm guessing from the fire button pressing on the cable. For some reason they just have problems and don't last. I will never buy anything with the Hana name in it again. My DNA 40 mod from them was not much better. I had to send that in 3 times for various reasons.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
My 4th replacement Hana 200 just had the screen go bad. The first 2 had bad chips and the next 3 all had the screen go bad. I'm guessing from the fire button pressing on the cable. For some reason they just have problems and don't last. I will never buy anything with the Hana name in it again. My DNA 40 mod from them was not much better. I had to send that in 3 times for various reasons.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
They just keep installing the screen without folding the ribbon down out of way of fire button? Think they would have learned by now.

Reactions: VapingBad

nic_fix

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
this was a dna200. I only have dna200 mods now. all 20+ of them. every hana from the dna20 failed. every single one. not one was spared. I just do not understand how you can screw up putting these together. it is very basic electronics. the board with smd is medium difficulty. however they are not even messing with that. the screen is on a ribbon. all they really have to do is connect the battery! how can they possibly be so inept. they screwed up everyone they ever made. other companies have almost zero manufacturing failures out of many more mods than hana ever made. I just want to understand what they can possibly screw up here?

I have been there. they have $800 soldering stations. like 30 of them. if they have this level of equipment how could they possibly not know how to use it? I just do not get it but I would like to understand what they do wrong. how can they make the board fail? it is a dang joke. it is not funny though.

I do not know if they closed shop but I would like to. not sending someone 6 hours to find out. I have a buddy in Burbank. I guess I can ask him if he will go check it out and I will send him some juice.

I wonder if they did indeed close if it was because of rma's which they did not even honor. or if it was due to poor sales. or something else.

made in usa is nice. well, it was nice. the global economy has changed and we must accept that. china is now turning out better gear than usa ever did. china is like the japan of the 80's imo. just wait. in 5 years china goods will be very expensive. they will most likely become an established country with top quality manufacturing. they all ready have iso 9001 and top laser cnc etc. they even had german machines imported to make high end clocks. don't kid yourself china has big money. I just hope for better treatment of their labor force but that will come in due time I assure you.

honestly I hope hana is gone. good riddance.

Reactions: MikeyConti

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
I do not know if they closed shop but I would like to. not sending someone 6 hours to find out.

Don't know if Hana is closing or not. Several folks saw a super cheap deal the other day on some DNA40's on Hana Modz web site and have ordered them. Not needing them but I ordered a couple on 5/23 also as they were so cheap (throw away cheap if they fail - less than 20 bucks each). All my other Hana's have not given me a minutes trouble. Already have gotten a tracking number and they were delivered today but that doesn't mean they are not planning to close as I have no clue about their business decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyConti

nic_fix

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
this kid up here is an electronics wizard. I don't know him much. by kid I mean like 45 lol. he vapes and an older gentleman told me he has a huge stash of parts so call him up. if you want someones number up here you call the unofficial mayor and get it. so in 15 minutes he had a new board in it. he said the ribbon was pinched but that was not my issue. he said the soldering on the battery terminals was slop and it shorted out and blew the fuse. he had fuses but he said it is easier to just put a board if I don't mind the extra cost. he charged me $55 cash. that is still bs because hana should fix it free. I have heard if you go through rma they will ignore you. they do not answer their phone. I cannot drive up there. I mean I don't want to waste someone's time driving me.

luckily, I imagine it will work a long time now. now that is properly assembled.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Tools are only as good as the person using them. The soldering in my v200 was horrible. When I replaced the screen, I resoldered all the connections and replaced the wires. It was amazing how badly it was put together for a "premium" brand. After redoing the v200, it's been working great for the last 6+ months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread