Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I need some help again plz....
I'm a bit rattled here. I'm trying to get a warmer vape from my dna 75. Got a 0.6ohm coil. On power I like it at 25W.
Now when I set the power in tc at 25W (temp at 210C), it throttles back to 10-15W which is way to cold. Don't make no difference when I up the watts to. It does make the right difference when I up the temp, but that defeats the object.
On other tc devices it makes a difference in the heat of the vape when the watts are adjusted in tc, but seemingly not on the dna board...is that correct?
Hope I don't have to change something on escribe again...that makes it way to cumbersome for me.
Hope I made myself clear enough. Thanks in advance.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
It starts off with the power setting. The temp stays on 210, but the watts throttles back...it went as low as 4.7W just now...that is a very boring vape.
When I up the temp to 235 its a much better vape, but I don't want to vape on that high temp...
Also I don't see a way of setting TCR. How is that done on a DNA device?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
It starts off with the power setting. The temp stays on 210, but the watts throttles back...it went as low as 4.7W just now...that is a very boring vape.
When I up the temp to 235 its a much better vape, but I don't want to vape on that high temp...

230C (446F) is about where you want to be. I wouldn't go below 225C (437F). Also set the wattage to about 30 to get a faster ramp up. Let me know how that does for you.

Reactions: bask and Izan

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
What material exactly and what TFR curve are you using? Default or custom?
No offence...I have no clue what your talking about. I'm battling with basics here...I know i'm using 316L though :D
This DNA tc seems to be to complicated for me. I'm getting really irretated with it. I had to many problems that I can't understand nor solve.
I just removed the battery and replaced it and its all different now. Now the temp goes as high as 175 with the watts reaching the set power of 25...now its a much warmer and better vape.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

Oh if you want to change the curve, download EScribe and use that. You can also create and upload custom materials. THIS is the one I use. I would rename it to something a bit shorter such as "SS316L Custom".

Reactions: bombastinator

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
No offence...I have no clue what your talking about. I'm battling with basics here...I know i'm using 316L though :D
This DNA tc seems to be to complicated for me. I'm getting really irretated with it. I had to many problems that I can't understand nor solve.
I just removed the battery and replaced it and its all different now. Now the temp goes as high as 175 with the watts reaching the set power of 25...now its a much warmer and better vape.

There are only 3 things to set or worry about. 1. The material. 2. The initial wattage. 3. The max temp.

Make sure you have it set for SS316. Then set the wattage to just above what you would normally vape at. Then set the temp somewhere between 225 and 230C. Win.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Yeah I deliberately did that to see if you have a clue about what you're doing :p

DNA tc isn't more complicated it's just different to set up. The default curve loaded for ss316l is bad, the one Scott linked is far better.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
230C (446F) is about where you want to be. I wouldn't go below 225C (437F). Also set the wattage to about 30 to get a faster ramp up. Let me know how that does for you.

I have to say that's a personal choice. I'm vaping very happily at 185 C at the moment. It's not for everyone, of course.

@Fredman1, I think bombastinator has it. It sounds like your TC is working as it should: it heats the coil to 210 C, then drops the wattage to keep the temperature there. That's what TC does. 210 C simply isn't a very hot vape, so if you want it warmer you'll have to increase the temperature.

When you removed the battery, I'm going to guess you put it in again pretty quickly while the coil was still warm. The device read the resistance while the coil was warm and assumed it was room temperature, so your reading's off now and TC isn't working properly since you replaced the battery.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about what TC does. Why do you want the temp at 210, and what are you expecting to happen? If you could let me know what you're thinking, it would be easier to explain what's going on.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have to say that's a personal choice. I'm vaping very happily at 185 C at the moment. It's not for everyone, of course.

Yes it is a personal choice, but below 225 the vapor production starts getting weak. Some people like that but OP apparently does not.

Reactions: bombastinator

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
There are only 3 things to set or worry about. 1. The material. 2. The initial wattage. 3. The max temp.

Make sure you have it set for SS316. Then set the wattage to just above what you would normally vape at. Then set the temp somewhere between 225 and 230C. Win
It works much better at 230. Its just strange...I was exclusively vaping mtl at 210 max for the last year. 210 was nice and hot enough then. Now i'm getting into dl and 210 don't seem to work for me...way to cold.
When you removed the battery, I'm going to guess you put it in again pretty quickly while the coil was still warm.
Yeah that's exactly what happened.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
It works much better at 230. Its just strange...I was exclusively vaping mtl at 210 max for the last year. 210 was nice and hot enough then. Now i'm getting into dl and 210 don't seem to work for me...way to cold.

Yeah that's exactly what happened.

AHHHHHH now I see. That is expected behavior when switching from MTL to DL. MTL has less air flow cooling the vape, so 210 will "feel" warmer MTL than it will DL. Turning it up a bit doing DL will help that. The values I gave you will still keep you in the safer ranges of temp so that is fine.

Also if you were using a non-DNA device it may not have been accurate, so that 210 could have actually been 220 or more.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

That makes sense to me. DL tends to have higher airflow, so if you've increased the proportion of room temperature air in your air/vapour mix, the result could be a fair bit cooler and weaker. Glad to hear you've figured out what you need.

• Informative
Reactions: Fredman1

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Get EScribe.
Save the current mod config to a file and name it 'Whatever-orginal'
Get a material profile from Steam Engine for the metal you want to use.
This is where the 'TCR' comes from except this is a curve of resistance vs temp not a single number.
While you are there, see what wattage they say is optimal for the coil you use.
Install the material into EScribe.
Create/change a profile in EScribe to use the material you have installed.
Set it for whatever temp/wattage you think is a good starting point.
Upload to your mod.
Read the cold (room temp) resistance of your coil. Look right to you? Continue.
Open Device Monitor from EScribe.
Take a few puffs and see how the mod performs both on screen and vaping.
Tweak power/temp as needed.
Save the config again as 'Whatever'

Pain in the .... to do, but only needs done once per material you want to vape. With Replay mode on newer DNAs that isn't needed as it doesn't care about TCR/Curves, just that the wire is TC capable.

I will say if you don't run the case thermals on a DNA mod it will work, just not as good as one that has run them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread