DNA tc adjustments..

Status
Not open for further replies.

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2018
Quick question for ya: I want to get a mod with really accurate / good TC as I really like TC vaping. Was considering the Mirage dna75C, but I've seen on Dash vapes (Canadian distributor) I can get the Yihi SX mini MX Class half price right now ($79.99 can) it's reg listed at $149.00 Is this a great deal or should I go with the Mirage?

Cheers

The mx already has an older chip. I’d honestly get the mirage for a solid tc mod. The mx will take a bit of tinkering and learning.

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
I wouldn't get a Yihi, but you might like them and that is the important thing Rockford. ;)

yeah, I've seen some reveiws, some good, a lot of bad ones tho... kinda funny most shops are still asking 149.99 for them, and DV's has them at half price now... that always makes me Leary tho....better stay away from it, I'm still really interested in the dna75C for the replay and Escribe.

• Agree
Reactions: BillW50

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Yihi are overall good chips but you have to be okay with fiddling. Many poor reviews come from people who just know how to get the most from the chip imo. The DNAC takes fiddling out of the equation. You may have to update the dna to use replay, Mirage has been out for a while now, may be pre-replay production.

Reactions: Eskie

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
Yihi are overall good chips but you have to be okay with fiddling. Many poor reviews come from people who just know how to get the most from the chip imo. The DNAC takes fiddling out of the equation. You may have to update the dna to use replay, Mirage has been out for a while now, may be pre-replay production.

I'm a former computer tech so I love fiddling, thats why Escribe actually interests me so much as I can adjust settings and tweak them, but some of the reviews have also said the Yihi chip is one of the best on the market for TC which is what I want, so making me think between the two chips now.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I'm a former computer tech so I love fiddling, thats why Escribe actually interests me so much as I can adjust settings and tweak them, but some of the reviews have also said the Yihi chip is one of the best on the market for TC which is what I want, so making me think between the two chips now.
Both would be an asset, flip a coin or choose the one that looks more comfortable to hold.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Problem with TC is, the true relationship between temperature and resistance of a sensing wire is a curve.
You cannot input a curve on a mod with three buttons, so all the mods except DNA use a number called TCR. Geometrically, a single number is a flat line, not a curve.
The impact of approximating a curve to a flat line, is the temperature shown on the mod is an approximation of the reality, which gets more and more incorrect as you depart from median temperature.
Once you grab the above, you are either happy to vape with a mod with TCR, or you want precision and repeativity, so you turn to DNAs.
It is a limit of technology, which uses alinear materials, and requires a computer if you want precision.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom

Having both DNA and Yihi, I would say you few things.

First, Yihi uses TCR not a curve, so the temperature shown is an approximation, and the changes you make, are not linear.

Yihi uses the Power setting in TC to pulse the coil with it, while DNA intend it as a limit to the power fed to the coil. This is a big and fundamental difference.

The DNA approach is the one most correct, but some prefers the brutality of Yihi approach, as it seems more powerful.

In my view, if you set the power too high with Yihi, it starts PWMing the coil, which in turn affects your wicking. This doesn't happen with DNAs.

My preference goes with DNAs.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Or you could complicate your life even further and check out the Dicodes mods. Also rate as top notch temp control although the funky menu system takes time to get used to.

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
Or you could complicate your life even further and check out the Dicodes mods. Also rate as top notch temp control although the funky menu system takes time to get used to.

yep, I've checked them out a few times already..... absolutely beautiful, but will need to add to the piggybank for those :)

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Problem with TC is, the true relationship between temperature and resistance of a sensing wire is a curve.
You cannot input a curve on a mod with three buttons, so all the mods except DNA use a number called TCR. Geometrically, a single number is a flat line, not a curve.
The impact of approximating a curve to a flat line, is the temperature shown on the mod is an approximation of the reality, which gets more and more incorrect as you depart from median temperature.
Once you grab the above, you are either happy to vape with a mod with TCR, or you want precision and repeativity, so you turn to DNAs.
It is a limit of technology, which uses alinear materials, and requires a computer if you want precision.

Having both DNA and Yihi, I would say you few things.

First, Yihi uses TCR not a curve, so the temperature shown is an approximation, and the changes you make, are not linear.

Yihi uses the Power setting in TC to pulse the coil with it, while DNA intend it as a limit to the power fed to the coil. This is a big and fundamental difference.

The DNA approach is the one most correct, but some prefers the brutality of Yihi approach, as it seems more powerful.

In my view, if you set the power too high with Yihi, it starts PWMing the coil, which in turn affects your wicking. This doesn't happen with DNAs.

My preference goes with DNAs.

I love the DNA250C too, but I'm also a big fan of the JoyeTech model. The JT has an advantage of being able to use either TCR or a temperature curve. It also has the advantage of cost--you can get a powerful, reasonably accurate and highly customizable JT mod for the cost of just the DNA chip.

The DNA samples the coil resistance much more frequently so while its model is curve only, it's better able to adjust power during the drag/draw/pull/puff. I like that a lot because it means a smoother vape. The DNA is also slower to reach the target temp (without "punch" turned on) so you never even get a hint of overheat.

If I were to show side-by-side plots of the power vs temp relationships for a DNA250C and a JT200, the power and temp plot for the DNA would be much smoother than the JT. The JT plots are more ragged because by the time the chip samples coil resistance, it's already too hot/cold and the mod makes a larger adjustment in power.

Mods that use TCR only are fine as long as you're in a range below 470F (245-ish C) and you have the ability to fine tune the coefficient and starting wattage. For a 6-8 second drag, a straightline curve via TCR is indistinguishable from a nonlinear curve model. This is especially true when using SS wire, and you also have juiceflow and airflow moderating temperature change in the chamber.

The more complex the wire and build, the more you want a custom curve.

I've been buried in studying temp control for the better part of 2018. I've used chips from Evolv, Joyetech, Voopoo, Vandy, Smoant, Think Vape, Geek Vape, Kanger, Smok and Wotofo. I don't have a YiHi, Dicodes or AsMODus device (yet).

My favorite is the DNA250C, with Joyetech a close second and Smoant a close third.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread