DNA20D trigger style wood box

Status
Not open for further replies.

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
Ok fellas I am back at it again and this time it is done nad vaping like crazy.

Went with wood again since I am a very stubborn person and got it done, wood choices this time basswood since I had some left from my First failure, and Walnut for the sides.

This time I tried not to rush it and endup with a very nice "wont say very good" dna20 mod, its got a few issues like window not done perfectly but it works.

So here's how it started.

Basic shape rough cuts and shaped.

20131221_160508.jpg 20131221_160454.jpg 20131221_160428.jpg 20131221_160312.jpg

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
Since I talked about a few seams showing due to not being a experienced wood worker I decided to give it more or less like an old type of finish, like the box been around for a few years of use and abuse, so I grabbed some dark walnut wood finish and went to town on this case, applied coat wiped same areas real fast and end result was this and I liked the end result, it gives it a dirty look like the case been around.

20131222_210246.jpg 20131222_210311.jpg 20131222_210343.jpg 20131222_210349.jpg

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
Whats next, well Already working on the next one since I have one more dna20 chip to use the next one will be wood and metal, stay tuned new mod in the near future. Had some ideas to cut some acrylic tubing assemble dna20 to it but decided to go wood and metal this time.

I hope you like this mod and I know same of you will point a few things out maybe give me better ideas how to get to the next one.

I have to pat myself on the back for this project and it was not the electronics part since I been soldering electronics for a long time, it was the wood carving part that got me since I am a newbie when it comes to wood working, but it was a nice experience and I enjoyed building this mod.

Thanks everyone that supported me on my first Dna20 that endup a failure, you can see it here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/499227-vewdew-project-dna20.html

Ok that's it its done and on to the next.

Thanks everyone. And thank you ECF without you I would still be smoking.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Turned out quite nice vewdew, I like the contrast between rustic and hi tech, like it survived the apocalypse. It's hard to tell in pics, but it looks like the battery might want to tend to pop off towards the board. Looks like you could build up the hot glue behind the switch to serve as a battery bumper to help keep it in place. I'd still like to see your other one make a comeback, if you still got the parts. :)

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
Turned out quite nice vewdew, I like the contrast between rustic and hi tech, like it survived the apocalypse. It's hard to tell in pics, but it looks like the battery might want to tend to pop off towards the board. Looks like you could build up the hot glue behind the switch to serve as a battery bumper to help keep it in place. I'd still like to see your other one make a comeback, if you still got the parts. :)

Thanks asdaq I did just that I built up on the hot glue so the battery is nice and snug, tried shaking it and wont come out easy. The last project is more than gone but the new one wont be so far off from the first one.

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
Congrats!!! Turned out pretty good for an inexperienced wood worker (trust me I know, because I'm not far ahead of you)

Yeah the DNA is a game changer for sure.

Some of my favorite DNA mods have been ugly eyesores (which yours is far from). But they always vaped great :D

Thanks coming from a modder like you it means a lot, This time I did not rush took my sweet time and posted everything at once instead of keeping you guys waiting. I just tweaked it a little more today and now its good, Now waiting for a few supplies and mod 2 will be underway, I will post a drawing here of the next one.

Just a fyi I suck at drawing :)

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
You should also start using a photo hosting site for your pics. There are lots of free sites....I use photobucket.

It lets you post big pics and more than 5 pics per post. I have my upload settings set to a moderate resolution so the pics don't come in super big, but that's based on your camera and etc. It's not hard to figure out. Photobucket has an app for your phone if that is what you are using. I use the iPhone app all the time and it makes things pretty easy.

On modding just keep at it. I'm much more comfortable with metal, but wood is growing on me....it's still kind of a love hate relationship right now....but quite rewarding when finished.

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
Sorry about the design but like I said I cant draw that good, but this is what I am thinking for the next one.

It wont be so square will have more rounded edges and will be wood and metal tube wich will be the battery holder, The black lines will be some type of design I will make just so it wont be so plain looking. Similar to the first one I attempred to make.

nextproject.jpg

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
You should also start using a photo hosting site for your pics. There are lots of free sites....I use photobucket.

It lets you post big pics and more than 5 pics per post. I have my upload settings set to a moderate resolution so the pics don't come in super big, but that's based on your camera and etc. It's not hard to figure out. Photobucket has an app for your phone if that is what you are using. I use the iPhone app all the time and it makes things pretty easy.

On modding just keep at it. I'm much more comfortable with metal, but wood is growing on me....it's still kind of a love hate relationship right now....but quite rewarding when finished.

I thought that photobucket will delete your pics after a certain time? I have to check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread