The Vewdew project DNA20

Status
Not open for further replies.

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
Ok finally started working on my Dna20 mod, this will be a wooden mod and 2 kinds of wood will be used Basswood for the body and lacewood for the top and front of the mod. I am not a wood worker and I have minimal tools ence I went with basswood since its easy to work with, so a lot of hand cutting and lots of sanding.

Please bare with me simply because it will take time to finish this mod, I will post pictures of the progress when I do new work to it.

So I went nuts looking for a design for the box, I didnt want a square looking box so I decided to make something similar to Bapgood's http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/407247-wip-dna20-compact-18650-mod.html and thank you Bapgood for the excellent design that inspired me and also for the good work you do.

So here are same pictures of my progress so far.

So it starts with a piece of basswood and a paper template.

20131126_011630.jpg
After a few about one hour of shaving and sanding I have the basic shape done.
20131126_022827.jpg 20131126_022808.jpg

3 hours later and a lot of elbow grease this is what I got done so far, work is progressing really well.

20131203_210233.jpg 20131203_210259.jpg

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
Lots of work still to be done, this is only a rough shape will include a picture to compare using my Vamo 3, box will get even slimmer so far it measures 4" tall but when done should be around 3 1/4" tall. 2" deep but should be around 1.5" when done, width so far 1 1/4" hoping to get it around 1"

For size comparison only, sorry pic not that good. But like I said it will get smaller in size once I start finishing it.

20131203_210355.jpg

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
So this is the hardware planned for this mod.

12MM push switch and 2 silver tactile switches.
20131203_222152.jpg 20131203_222212.jpg 20131203_222530.jpg

Got this spare 18650 battery tube that I had laying around so I will use it for the battery, yes it will take a 18650 battery.

20131203_222631.jpg

And finally this little beauty.

20131203_222927.jpg

this will conclude my work for today, after 4 hours of working on this wood case its time for a well deserved break, Work will resume tomorrow.

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
Looking good!!!

Can't wait to see it finished.

hi vewdew!
that is going to be nice.. looking forward to see more of it !

You will see it finished, Just got done cutting the lacewood I will be using for the front and top.

The problem is that it will take time to finish the wood part since I only have a skill saw and a Miter saw also have a dremel and a drill those are the only power tools I own. If I had a table saw believe me that box would have been done already.

The electronics parts will be easy for me since I been involved with electronics for the longest time, I do have a nice soldering station when I used to solder battery packs for my quadcopter and RC stuff.

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
I am Sorry to inform everyone that this project is now over, yes the worse happened while fitting the battery holder I put to much force and broke it.

I spend almost 2 weeks with very few tools making this and it broke so I will pursue a diferent type of mod to do, and when I do I will post the new project. Thanks to everyone that followed this thread.

20131207_180000.jpg

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
vewdew !
I know how that feels but try to epoxy it together wrap some tape around it to hold it together ...when cured sand again ..
what you could try is ...line it with a layer of fiber glass in side and then take a balloon or rubber glove and inflate it ...holds the glass inside to the walls till cured .you can allways use a smaller battery .
on your new mod line it with fiberglass and it makes it less prone to splitting.
don't give up..have funn

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
vewdew !
I know how that feels but try to epoxy it together wrap some tape around it to hold it together ...when cured sand again ..
what you could try is ...line it with a layer of fiber glass in side and then take a balloon or rubber glove and inflate it ...holds the glass inside to the walls till cured .you can allways use a smaller battery .
on your new mod line it with fiberglass and it makes it less prone to splitting.
don't give up..have funn

I am not giving up, I ordered a box from Heartwood creations $25.00 and only have to do a few things, like cutting window and drill it, would love a custom one but I have almost no power tools to make them.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Vewdew, don't give up on weeks of work. As said you can glue it back together quite easily and looking at those two halves they should interlock quite well. Also, if you sand it while still wet, but clamped, the slurry from the sanded particles will mix with the glue and give you a very close to invisible seam.

I've got a small hole in a wood mod that I patched up with beeswax from a candle, there is a pic of it here on the site but no one would be able to find it. :laugh:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I am not giving up, I ordered a box from Heartwood creations $25.00 and only have to do a few things, like cutting window and drill it, would love a custom one but I have almost no power tools to make them.

Thanks for this site, I am eyeballing it heavily.

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
The great thing about wood is that you can glue it, and the joint is actually typically stronger than the wood.

It's actually quite common for people making custom e pipes to form the pipe, then cut it in half to install everything, then glue it back together.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't even knew that, that goes to show you how good of a wood worker I am :)

If I had a table saw things would have been a lot easier, but I not buying one just for this.

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
With a Miter saw its not easy to make things you are limited on blade travel and its only good for certain cuts and angles.

Now if I had a table saw I could make nice even straight cuts while with a miter its not that easy.

I seen one this weekend it was a cheap one, but you know you buy cheap and sometimes it turns to be expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread