Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don’t have your particular mod but mods have some similarities. While you generally can charge a battery in the mod using a microUSB2 cable it is not recommended. The port is very fragile and daily charging will likely wear it out or break it. Also it doesn’t do it very well. It may not fill the battery all the way, it may take a really long time, it may stress the battery underlying, etc.. external chargers are better, faster, safer, and if you have more than one battery you can effectively instantly charge the device by swapping out batteries.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Hello I have an evod pro and I bought a 18650 battery. To charge the battery so I need to buy a separate charger for it or could I just plug the charger for the vape. Does that also charge the battery inside the vape. Just a heads up the battery isn't included in the vape
Just in case you don't know this, the battery has to be in to charge with the usb cord. I only charge from cord in an emergency... It is totally worth it to by an extra battery or 2 and a 2 bay charger. Much safer and you will never have to wait to vape while you are charging.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
In case you're considering a charger, you should know that there are good ones and there are lousy ones. A cheap charger can damage your battery and make it dangerous, so a getting a decent one is pretty important. The ones that are usually recommended around here (decent quality and reasonable cost) are:

• Xtar
  • Nitecore
  • Efest LUC (Efest has several different lines of chargers, and only the LUC are reccomended)

JesusIsLife12345

Mar 22, 2018
Just in case you don't know this, the battery has to be in to charge with the usb cord. I only charge from cord in an emergency... It is totally worth it to by an extra battery or 2 and a 2 bay charger. Much safer and you will never have to wait to vape while you are charging.
Thank you very much, Your reply was on point! Your reply was the answer I was looking for. I wanted to know if the battery has to be in to charge with the usb cord, Thank you very much!
Thanks to everyone that took 5 minutes of their time to read my thread, and to reply to it!
-Sincerely, Jay.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Thank you very much, Your reply was on point! Your reply was the answer I was looking for. I wanted to know if the battery has to be in to charge with the usb cord, Thank you very much!
Thanks to everyone that took 5 minutes of their time to read my thread, and to reply to it!
-Sincerely, Jay.
Not a problem. Still get a charger and some good batteries when you can. There is a lot of info on batteries in this forum, you can search for it. Best ones are generally LG HG2, sony vtc5a, samsung 25r... Good luck.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, you can charge via USB port, but I will repeat it really isn't recommended most of the time, unless it's an internal battery setup, not a removable one. You can charge like that in a pinch, but investing in a decent charger and a few batteries will be well worth it for safety reason but it also will likely extend the life of your equipment. If you use a reputable battery vendor, batteries typically aren't too expensive, and once you have a charger, it should last a good long while. Etc.

Best of luck, and welcome :)

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The primary purpose for the USB port on regulated mods is to update/download any possible firmware for the microchip. You can also recharge the battery via USB port in an urgent situation, but it is not as recommended as using a dedicated Li-ion box battery charger. Charging in a dedicated charger is much faster and arguably safer.

Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger

• Guide to help a novice in choosing a charger. Covers recommended brands, suggestions for the number of charging bays you'll need, independent bays, LED or LCD models, and "smart chargers".

Make certain that you get the right batteries for the way that you vape. Try to purchase from known reputable battery suppliers. Try to buy brand names like Lg, Samsung, or Sony. Pay attention to the amp limit, or "continuous discharge rate" of the batteries as this is the most important specification.

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
  • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.
Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded or Aftermarket) Battery?

• Learn what a rewrap cell is. If you are using rebranded cells, does that mean it is inferior, poor quality, or even dangerous? Which batteries are suspected to be rebranded batteries?

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    As some of the members have already stated, you can charge your external battery in the mod with the supplied cable but it is NOT the best way. It will do the job, but is much better to charge the batteries in a good external charger for safety reasons and to prolong the battery.
    I use the Nitecore D4 (i have 2 of them) which is fully automatic and has a host of safety features

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread