DO NOT BUY BATTERIES From RADIO SHACK, for APV's/MODS!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I am not sure if this has been said before, Newcomer's take notice, the explosions from APV's/mods in the news are because of people buying the wrong batteries from Radio Shack or other places that do not carry the right batteries for APV's/Mods. Radio Shack does not carry batteries for use in APV's/MODS. Only buy batteries for APV's/MODs from a trusted vendor and only use rechargeable Li Ion batteries recommended for the unit you are using! AW protected batteries or AW IMR safer chemistry are recommended for use in APV's/Mods. Only use the correct recommended charger for the correct rechargeable batteries. Do your battery homework before buying and using any APV/Mod. Safety First! Thanks for reading! bnrk

Must read for all APV/Mod users and all future users- http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

Last edited:

V_Joe1981

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2011
Eagan, MN.
Great thread and always hope new-comers take this to heart once read. It's always good to do your homework before making the best switch of your life :vapor:

Note- also keep a lookout for the fuse to protect your AW's from failure. Epipemods will have them soon and will be spreading to other vendors too...can't wait to get some for my APV's

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
Can't say that I've heard of this being an issue at all. If people are really doing that, then they have no business using any battery-driven device, IMO.

That said, I bought some batteries and a charger from Radio Shack for my mod, and they work just fine... I don't guess that there are many mods out there that use NiMH batteries instead of lithiums, but there is nothing wrong with using those if that's what the mod is designed for, and mine is.

It certainly IS important for people to do at least some basic research on any power source that they use, though.

I don't know much about the other batteries that may be sold there, but I can't see much chance of them fitting in a mod unless they were NiMHs, since I did note that they sold none of the commonly-used li-ions for mods. And I can't see a 1.2v NiMH battery exploding from an 800mA or less current draw.

Is there some more specific info that you can provide about this?

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Can't say that I've heard of this being an issue at all. If people are really doing that, then they have no business using any battery-driven device, IMO.

That said, I bought some batteries and a charger from Radio Shack for my mod, and they work just fine... I don't guess that there are many mods out there that use NiMH batteries instead of lithiums, but there is nothing wrong with using those if that's what the mod is designed for, and mine is.

It certainly IS important for people to do at least some basic research on any power source that they use, though.

I don't know much about the other batteries that may be sold there, but I can't see much chance of them fitting in a mod unless they were NiMHs, since I did note that they sold none of the commonly-used li-ions for mods. And I can't see a 1.2v NiMH battery exploding from an 800mA or less current draw.

I know what he's talking about and can probably explain. I don't know a lot about NiMH batteries and very few mods use them. Most mods use Li-Ions. They are great but, most sizes can be purchased as IMR, protected, and unprotected. If you use unprotected batteries in a mod that isn't designed to provide protection and most aren't, you are putting yourself at risk.

I've actually seen a 14500 in a Radio Shack store and if you look on their web site, you can find other sizes that are used in mods. Most of those make no mention of protection. Most people are used to buying whatever battery will fit and using it. We see cautions about using the right batteries so often that we ignore them. I can easily see someone seeing something cool and shiney and buying it. Then running down to Radio Shack and ordering batteries thinking that if they fit and work they are fine.

I can't evaluate whether what you are doing is safe. However, even unprotected cells are not designed to blow up. So, incidents with them will be rare. Someone using a battery for months doesn't demonstrate that it's safe to use.

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
Can't say that I've heard of this being an issue at all. If people are really doing that, then they have no business using any battery-driven device /QUOTE]

I can't bliever the Puresmoker lawsuit hasn't been brought up yet, this is the entire basis for the lawsuit, guy buys batteries at RS, non rechargable unprotected batteries uses them, seems like he tried to recharge them, and boom, now he wants to get paid.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Exactly, the explosions that have caused damage to users were because the wrong batteries were bought at Radio Shack and were not intended to be used in the APV/Mod. Since people are still going to RS or Ebay and buying the wrong batteries this is an issue that needs to be out there for newcomers to learn from. It is just sad these people got hurt because they didn't know or didn't listen, not sure which, but battery safety is very important, don't take chances by using the wrong battery. Always use protected or safer chemistry rechargeable batteries. Never use non rechargeables. Safety first!! bnrk

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there

Here you go, a MUST read for all APV/Mod users and for all newcomers thinking about an APV/Mod- http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html bnrk

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Hummmm, these four unprotected Ultrafires fit right in my $300 digital camera that uses AA batteries. They should work real good!

You jest, and you're probably smart enough to know the difference, but think of the average consumer. The average non-tech person will take whatever advice and merchandise they get at Radio Shack and think they're fine. They have no clue that the people behind the counter don't know the application for which you're buying batteries. This is the root of the recent accidents which have gotten the media attention this year.

Education is key. Not just educating yourself, but also educating others whenever you can.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
You jest, and you're probably smart enough to know the difference, but think of the average consumer. The average non-tech person will take whatever advice and merchandise they get at Radio Shack and think they're fine. They have no clue that the people behind the counter don't know the application for which you're buying batteries. This is the root of the recent accidents which have gotten the media attention this year.

Education is key. Not just educating yourself, but also educating others whenever you can.

Yes!!! If we can reach one person and that person tells one person, we have made a difference and hopefully saved someone from making a huge mistake on batteries! I don't want to hear of anyone else having a APV blow up in their face because they bought the wrong batteries. Spread the word everyone! bnrk

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Yes we can make a difference with education.
    However there will always be the "If it fits, it ships" mentality out there. Simply can't fix stupid, and there will always be lawyers out there wanting to capitalize on it.

Personal opinion of course, but the problem lies squarely on the shoulders of the battery manufacturer. So long as the wrong battery fits in a device accidents will continue to happen, and there are way to many "wrong batteries".

Last edited:

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
    Dec 28, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    Here you go, a MUST read for all APV/Mod users and for all newcomers thinking about an APV/Mod- http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html bnrk

I'm well-versed in battery safety, but it's good that you included that link with great info. I was asking for more info on people using batteries from Radio Shack, but I've found two references that I'll link to here for completeness:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/notcigs/288778-fl-mod-explosion-new-info.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...288409-colorado-man-sues-after-explosion.html

I have to say that I consider the 'victims' to be at fault in both cases, but I am a cautious, curious, intelligent person... There have been many precedents set where litigious, lazy, careless consumers have been awarded in the past.

I'm not lumping those two into that group at this point. They may have been simply ignorant of battery danger, and too trusting of bad advice from Radio Shack employees, but I still find the lawsuits to be at least partially out-of-order.

Hopefully this thread does save a few people from being steered the wrong way about batteries, though. :)

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I'm well-versed in battery safety, but it's good that you included that link with great info. I was asking for more info on people using batteries from Radio Shack, but I've found two references that I'll link to here for completeness:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/notcigs/288778-fl-mod-explosion-new-info.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...288409-colorado-man-sues-after-explosion.html

I have to say that I consider the 'victims' to be at fault in both cases, but I am a cautious, curious, intelligent person... There have been many precedents set where litigious, lazy, careless consumers have been awarded in the past.

I'm not lumping those two into that group at this point. They may have been simply ignorant of battery danger, and too trusting of bad advice from Radio Shack employees, but I still find the lawsuits to be at least partially out-of-order.

Hopefully this thread does save a few people from being steered the wrong way about batteries, though. :)

I think I was bothered by this wording more than anything else.
    After buying the proper batteries from a (nonparty) RadioShack the next day,
    I just can't help but wonder how many will read that and think that they were the proper battery.
    I also wonder why Radio Shack was excluded from the lawsuit.

Last edited:

Butters78

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    There's a reason that irons have a caution that says, "Never iron clothes while wearing them." Personally, I think that we need to let natural selection run it's course sometimes rather than reward stupidity and lack of shame with lawsuit money.

I absolutely agree. The comedian Gallagher did a hilarious comedy routine about that. He mentions they should take off the label that says "do not eat" off the packets you find in answering machines etc to get rid of some of the stupid people lol.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
    Dec 28, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    I think I was bothered by this wording more than anything else.

'After buying the proper batteries from a (nonparty) RadioShack the next day, '

I just can't help but wonder how many will read that and think that they were the proper battery.
    I also wonder why Radio Shack was excluded from the lawsuit.

I feel the same way about that, but I do wonder what information was presented by the mod-maker at the time of purchase. I'm sure that they did not recommend Radio Shack batteries, but there was a lot of scurrying by vendors to add notes about using protected or safer chemistry batteries after stories like those started surfacing.

I can't agree with suing the mod seller unless they were recommending or including improper batteries, though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread